The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AMPEX MM-1100 16 Track
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Head

AMPEX MM-1100 16 Track

I just scored an Ampex MM-1100 16 track tape machine and need some help sourcing parts. it came with all the good back up stuff tension arms, ect,,, to much to list. one issue it the supply reel has a slight bend on the top at the knob turntable assembly and if I have to replace the motor that wont be easy to find. any help with leads or can i swap out the shaft? I'm new to 2" tape repair so please anything is better then nothing
Attached Thumbnails
AMPEX MM-1100 16 Track-img_4336.jpg   AMPEX MM-1100 16 Track-img_4337.jpg  
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Nut

I have a spare left hand MM-1100 torque motor. Let me know if you still need this.

David
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Head

Picked up two motors and a meter bridge couple months ago.
Thanks David. But if you have any other parts I might be interested (Transport Control PCB )
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Head

Wanted Ampex MM-1100 Transport Control Card

I have 3 cards all are modded and super trashed. Any leads would be appreciated.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

I’ll be following thread so please keep posting your progress. I’m he’ll bent on an Ampex mm1100 or 1200 or and MCI jh16 all discrete. Preferably an Ampex but people don’t let them go.
Old 15th September 2018
Gear Head

Just Sold the Ampex to a friend, picked up a JH16 (Older JH100)
Some think they are a nightmare but doing a total restore Harder to get parts, and many other issues. Model 0273 Year 1975
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

I track both for parts on the bay and I think JH16’s are easier to find parts for. You didn’t happen to buy the one on Reverb for $1500? I was watching that one. Too far of a drive from Central Texas or I would have jumped on it.
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Head

Nope. I live up in the northwest. But if you can find parts , looking for tha PLL Board for the JH-100 ... hard to find , not the newer. I’ll keep posting updates.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

Blevins has 3 listed on their parts page. Don’t know how current the list is and they don’t list the transport they are for.

Brian
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Head

I spoke to Randy Friday he said the Newer Style PLL won't work on the JH-100 , but he said he might have one stashed somewhere. Waiting to hear back. Any other finds I might miss searching the net would be appreciated
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

What part goes bad on the board? I ask because I’m assuming I’ll be doing a full restore on whatever machine I end up with. I’m good with a soldering iron and recap and rechip a lot of my own gear. I was hoping the older machines didn’t have microprocessors and are all mechanical as for as the transports go. My Otari MTR 10 is full of microprocessors that I’m not sure once they go there will be no replacements to find.
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Head

My machine came with out the PPL card. Still hopeful that the guy I got it from can find it , he said there was a bag of parts somewhere and he’s looking for it but he’s a touring musician and always out of town. The parts are as you said , Caps, transistors, etc. IC’s can be bad sometimes from static electricity if someone didn’t handle stuff with care. Solder may need to be re-flowed on points if machine sits for too long.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

How’s it going? I bought an 82 JH110B. It’s a test run for a 2” deck. I’m going through it with Steve Sadler via Skype. The first session I did with him I learned so much my head almost exploded.

Brian
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

There’s a jh100 PLL board for sale on eBay as of today if you haven’t found one yet.

Brian
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Head

thanks brian, i managed to track one down
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstar44 View Post
thanks brian, i managed to track one down
Awesome. I’m an owner of a 77 JH16 as of a week now. She has a few quirks I’m gonna work out with Steve Sadler and then she’s getting recapped. Never thought I’d own a 2” deck and now I do.

Brian
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search