The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dirty Pots ! Keep cleaning or replace ?
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear

Dirty Pots ! Keep cleaning or replace ?

Hey guys, i have four QSC 1450's. They power my subs bridged mono. I've modified them to where they are almost silent (sans some transformer hum). I seem to be recleaning the volume pots once a year or more.

My method is using cleaner, then compressed air to clean out. Maybe my method is wrong. I would like to replace the pots. Are there better ones, or just order new ones from QSC, or a better cleaning method.

Since we are at it, can i unbolt the transformers and set them on some sorbothane. The amps never move so no issue with transporting ect......not sure why i dont just put em in my basement
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Ready for desoldering. There's some resistors on the back of the boards, they are marked with a "R" ,my guess resistors. Probably should not get them too hot.
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

I cant believe I started a thread about replacing 8 volume pots, it took about 10 minutes to desolder them. QSC should be sending my replacements this week....

the transformers have a bit of hum too, mechanical hum. I unbolted them and put the top gasket on the bottom to double up and leave the bolt out. My hope is to decouple to get rid of the hum. Would a sorbothane square under the transformer help. They just sit on a shelf once my work is done. The transformers weigh 15lbs each, I'm thinking four spheres per transformer

Just ordered 16 one inch half sphere's from isolate it. I went with the 50's, middle of the road stiffness. The transformers will be sitting on 4 as stated......

Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hey guys, the volume pot replacement was a huge success !

Anyone care to explain my success at nix'ing groundloop....... It was horrendous, now its gone
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

So, i have these QSC amps. I use a MiniDSP EQ. It uses a wall wart 12vdc PS. It has phoenix connectors. I wire the EQ with hot,neutral,ground to the QSC amps. This is where the Hum comes in. On the input side, I connect the ground with neutral, and that goes to my Denon receiver (LFE Out).

The fix came from grounding the chassis of the EQ to the QSC's, all four, and lifting the ground that i connected to the neutral on the input. No hum at all
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search