The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crossover inductor
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Head

Crossover inductor

Hello there,

two simple (not for me) questions here:

1. Which is the best option for two-way crossover construction?
Axial indructor?
Inductors
or Power inductor?
Power Inductors

2. Is it an issue to put two inductors in series if I can't get right value from single one? Aren't they gonna affect each other somehow?

Thanks!
Old 4th January 2016
Depending on the crossover design and the position of the inductor in the overall scheme of the design and also depending on the power handling of the speaker itself the exact kind of inductor may vary some but..

1) you need power inductors which will vary in price depending the DCR or resistance of the wire in the inductor.
If in series with a woofer consider 18-12 awg air core ( lower saturation with high input power)
If you need a large inductance and low resistance a laminated core 12 awg may be cheaper and fit physically easier.
If in parallel with a tweeter a higher resistance 22- 18awg air core because many times you have to put additional resistance in series with these so the internal DCR is not an issue.
Speaker building is fun, but if you want serious monitors that will translate do yourself a favor and get just about any self powered monitor and you will be beginning miles ahead of your first speaker DIY project. If you want to spend a lifetime building speakers as a hobby and don't care if what you have translates go at it.

peace
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Head

Thanks for your help. Don't worry. This is just a hobby I don't think I'll get any good monitor out of this project. Just trying to learn some stuff here.

Anyway, are those inductors I've posted ok? I mean there's no info about whether it's air cored or has any other core and neither awg of the wire. Should I look for something different?

As far as placing two inductors in series. That way I'll have three inductors in a crossover. Do you think I can place them this way to avoid any distortion?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
Depending on the crossover design and the position of the inductor in the overall scheme of the design and also depending on the power handling of the speaker itself the exact kind of inductor may vary some but..

1) you need power inductors which will vary in price depending the DCR or resistance of the wire in the inductor.
If in series with a woofer consider 18-12 awg air core ( lower saturation with high input power)
If you need a large inductance and low resistance a laminated core 12 awg may be cheaper and fit physically easier.
If in parallel with a tweeter a higher resistance 22- 18awg air core because many times you have to put additional resistance in series with these so the internal DCR is not an issue.
Speaker building is fun, but if you want serious monitors that will translate do yourself a favor and get just about any self powered monitor and you will be beginning miles ahead of your first speaker DIY project. If you want to spend a lifetime building speakers as a hobby and don't care if what you have translates go at it.

peace
Old 4th January 2016
The tiny ones are not what you want for speakers.

The other ones look like ferite core.....not necessarily what you want but will work fine probably. Find laminated core if you need large inductance or air core. LOOK for them.

The orientation is spot on to minimize coupling.......don't forget the voice coil is also an inductor with a varying field.

peace
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

you should be looking at inductors like this

Crossover Inductors in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 296

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search