The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you help me rack my Olympic Studio's Raindirk III strips PLEASE?
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Question Can you help me rack my Olympic Studio's Raindirk III strips PLEASE?

Hello all,

First, more thanks than can be expressed for your input!

I have two modules from one of the three Raindirk Series III desks used at Olympic 1974-1985-ish. Cyril Jones @ Raindirk has confirmed the provenance. I'd gladly send them to him for re-capping/racking but alas not in budget.

I have aprox 2/3rds of the schematic including all the pinouts identified.

It's a project well within my skills if only I can be instructed as to the basics of racking these.

The modules require:
+/- 18v
+ 12v
+48v phantom

And so I need to know an affordable way to power the two modules. DIY PSU kit?

I am afraid I need the most basic instructions. Obviously I want to eliminate the bussing and aux sends. I need to be able to use the mic pre, the mic/line ins, the insert, the EQ, and to wire an unused pot to act as the output control.

The pinouts show send/return from "Olympic EQ" (the Helios units)..dont know what to do

Where does the signal leave the circuit going to the mic output and line output?

I need basic help. Many thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Terry, I replied also on Group DIY:

Recently racked a pair of these. You'll need to power the logic circuit if you want to use line in as well as mic in . I used a 12v wall wart for the logic and a "Power One" +/- 15 V supply for audio. For phantom it's cheaper to buy a Nady or similar external unit. Can you help me rack my Olympic Studio's Raindirk III strips PLEASE? POWER ONE PSU

BTW if your modules have the dual switchable presence range ( second freq band marked in orange ,) they are called version 2 and are later than the original Olympic Series III s - there are a few pin out & circuit differences. If you can ID them as version 1 or 2 I can send you schematics. You can use line in as EQ in, just need to jumper the insert points on the connectors.

I found these connectors on eBay and dremeled to fit. Can you help me rack my Olympic Studio's Raindirk III strips PLEASE?5pc Industrial Card Edge Slot Socket Connector 34X2P 68P 2 54mm 0 1" 3A RoHS | eBay
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

I'd prefer all psu in one box.
JLM Powerstation will do the job I guess
JLM Audio Shop
+ pwrXformer + box
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search