The No.1 Website for Pro Audio

Description

A meticulously designed emulation of the already legendary MagicDeathEye tube compressor... the smoothest cat on the market! Created with Christian Siedschlag of DDMF, this plugin captures the sweet, unique sound of the hardware and has some extras not possible in the real world. It all started almost exactly one year ago when I emailed Christian about possibly modeling my compressor. I chose DDMF because I tried some of Christian’s plugins and read a bit about his physics background. I liked what he was doing and thought he was unique in the way he did it. It’s how I do my thing, a little roguish, a little weird, and very independent… I figured if we could get together and make something work, it would be amazing. I sent Christian a hardware unit and we got started. Christian came up with a totally unique way to model the compressor from the ground up, and with a lot of back and forth, trial and error, I noticed the software was taking on the subtle characteristics that the unit on my bench had. I would loop my Audio Precision into Pro tools and run the plugin, measuring frequency response and THD+N just like I would with the hardware, and I was shocked at how close things were lining up considering what I was comparing! I actually started using the plugin on music before it even had a proper GUI. Just a couple sliders and some numbers. But when I put it on a vocal, it worked. It did that thing, held it gently but firm in the palm of its digital hand. Speaking of GUI’s, David Della Rocca of Session Recall made a beautiful graphic recreation of my products for his recall software before all of this got started. David finished up the artwork and the plugin was finally ready for beta testing! It’s a beautiful digital baby that we had and we are proud to share it with the world. P.S. When developing the plugin Christian was experimenting with the threshold and sent me a version that had a synthetic algorithm for how the gain reduction behaved. The compressor sounded slightly more aggressive and grabby. Kicks popped out a hair more. It was very cool and we bookmarked it for later. Close to release we decided to slip it in as an option for those who like to randomly click around the user interface. Just an extra bonus and something “a little roguish and a little weird”. You will know when its engaged…Enjoy.

Discussions

DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor plugin!

Everybody who has ever had a chance to listen to a MagicDeathEye compressor has been blown away by its sound. Carefully designed by Mr. Ian Sefchick (mastering engineer at Capitol Records), this tube compressor’s circuit is loosely based on a Fairchild 660. It’s a variable mu compressor that sounds just as great on your...

View Post

DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor plugin!

Both of those guys operate *way* above my paygrade. But for me it's mostly a workflow thing. Years ago I got turned on to (by!) Michael Brauer's multi-buss ([email protected]) approach and incorporated that into my setup. So I've been working with busses / stems for some time; it's just that recently my thinking clarified a...

View Post

Vocal compressor plug-in, your favorite?

Magic death eye. I own the hardware unit and use it when things are tracked here. The plug in is so damn close to the hardware it’s amazing.

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?