The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What % of released edm tracks are using sample packs for drum loop! groove , etc ?
Old 29th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
You have to read .

ever heard of Kerry Chandler

Many of Kerri's (spelled with an I, not Y) hits contain the same chord sample, sampled from the intro of Kool & The Gang's Summer Madness.

Also he's made stuff like this

Which is essentially a Fela Kuti track's intro and not much else.
Old 29th April 2020
Lives for gear

Just noticed this is an ancient thread lol. Sorry..
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
I personally take a "the end is all that matters" approach and will use any and every tool at my disposal to reach the desired end goal.
I actually disagree with this idea entirely.

I think process matters A LOT. This is why Moodymann is excellent and there are a million idiots who think they can just grab a loop off a disco record and do the same thing as him and they’re all making bull**** tracks.

Thinking you can draw a line between Dilla and Moodymann is incorrect.

Kerri and Blaze definitely used samples at various times, can’t say for sure with Larry Heard.

But anybody who understands house music would never ever make a big deal out of a difference between sampling and playing everything themselves. Sampling is integral to house and hiphop and no clowny attitude is going to change that. All those artists play tons of sample based tracks when they DJ.

Using premade sample loops is pretty much unnecessary and especially dumb when to make good house music you should have a record collection to Jack things from if you need it. If you don’t have that, just rethink making house music altogether.

The process of being a fan of dance music and digging for records and then sampling them and flipping them is the whole thing.

I personally wouldn’t take even one shots or any kind of creatively altered samples that somebody else did. I do use a big sample pack from the web that contains sounds from all the famous drum machines but that’s a different story really.

Just grab from a record. That’s what this **** is based on.

A lot of the **** ppl have mentioned here of “house” “artists” using sample pack loops... these people are trash. Just don’t listen to that bull****.
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear
This thread is hilarious. Granted it’s old but now with Twitch streams and all kind of insights into how producers make tracks it’s pretty obvious that only low effort crap is being made with all drum loops.

The experienced producer knows how to work a drum machine and get the foundation grooving with the right elements. And then you can add movement with loops, or breaks...etc. Loops are great ways to add movement to your drums, but if you can’t make drums slam without loops and you have good samples then you probably need to spend more time in the lab.

Also learn to creatively process loops to create movement. So many ways to do this now.
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
This thread is hilarious.
Yep!
📝 Reply