The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lets make some dub techno
Old 30th August 2014
Lets make some dub techno

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for the tips n tricks for producing dub anywhere, apart from one from 2005, so if I may be so bold and ask you, the gear slutz community, to pass on your knowledge and share with us any techniques & gear used etc, to produce that very unique dub sound, within a month I want to produce a dub track and post here using any info-tips provided etc and see if we can get close...feel free to post dub artists you like as reference material too..

cheers..
Old 30th August 2014
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

A mixing console, a tape echo, and a spring reverb would take you 90% there. And of course, a multi-tracked reggae song source that you can assign to each channel

Old 30th August 2014
what are the kick drums in dub usually...909's...??
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
sweet, thanks for that..
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
A mixing console, a tape echo, and a spring reverb would take you 90% there. And of course, a multi-tracked reggae song source that you can assign to each channel
RE-201 or bust!
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
what are the kick drums in dub usually...909's...??
Is this a troll thread, or are you being serious?
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Is this a troll thread, or are you being serious?
huh...??

Im asking what are the kick drums used in dub...what's trollish about that ffs..??
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Nut

Dub reggae? Dub techno? Dubstep - assuming not since you're referencing 2005. Dubble bubble chewing gum.

Not to knock you, but dub is pretty much "what you hear is what you get". If you have a basic knowledge of effects you're set. Tape and analog delay instead of clean digital is pretty standard. Don't let your basslines get too bright and use copious amounts of reverb and delay on stabby stuff, and delay through reverb if you like. Ambient samples are also good. Filter samples with external analog filters for extra flavor. Make your own loops.

If you really want to go crazy you could sample dirt off of tape machines and the like, but I dunno, I hear lots of digital only stuff that sounds pretty great too.

Here's a couple of mine:

Old 30th August 2014
Dub techno would be more where I'm heading...psy-dub kinda feel..
Old 30th August 2014
the really familiar identifying sound found in most dub is a plucked guitar of some sort yes..?
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
huh...??

Im asking what are the kick drums used in dub...what's trollish about that ffs..??
It's trollish because Dub music is from the '70s and uses real acoustic drums, played by a real drummer.

If by "Dub" you really mean to say "Dancehall" or "Raggamuffin" or other genres that came later, in the '80s, then digital drum machines are the norm - but not for traditional Dub music. You need real songs played by human reggae players.

Perhaps, post a few reference songs of what you think is Dub, and we can pinpoint your needs a bit better.
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
the really familiar identifying sound found in most dub is a plucked guitar of some sort yes..?
That's just because it's so pleasurable to hear it interact with the reverb and delay, since a sudden stab will bring out a lot of character in the tails and repeats.

I could sit at home and listen to that all day...
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
It's trollish because Dub music is from the '70s and uses real acoustic drums, played by a real drummer.

If by "Dub" you really mean to say "Dancehall" or "Raggamuffin" or other genres that came later, in the '80s, then digital drum machines are the norm - but not for traditional Dub music. You need real songs played by human reggae players.

Perhaps, post a few reference songs of what you think is Dub, and we can pinpoint your needs a bit better.
I think we got our wires crossed, I'm aware of the old school stuff, I should of been clearer and suggested that I was asking a 909 kick could sit well in an electronic ITB dub track could it...?

stuff like OTT etc...

a boss DR 880 would have enough real drum samples to make any amount of dub I should imagine, but a nice long pitched down 909 sample would make a nice kick I reckon...
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Channel to an aux send with a delay on it. Set up the return of the aux to another channel. Place a delay on that channel. Enjoy.

Learn the reggae bubble

909 kick work just fine if that's what your after. Bit too punchy maybe... 808 works very nice. More subdued and pillowy. 808 sounds more sedate. Either or is fine really if your onto the techno side of things.
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Channel to an aux send with a delay on it. Set up the return of the aux to another channel. Place a delay on that channel. Enjoy.

Learn the reggae bubble

909 kick work just fine if that's what your after. Bit too punchy maybe... 808 works very nice. More subdued and pillowy. 808 sounds more sedate. Either or is fine really if your onto the techno side of things.
that chan fader trick is the one I had forgotten, that is the never ending feedback loop fader yes..
Old 30th August 2014
tempo around 90-110 bpms..?
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
that chan fader trick is the one I had forgotten, that is the never ending feedback loop fader yes..
No & yes.

No it's not a never ending loop. It's a channel to aux effects back into 2nd channel which is delayed.

Yes, you could make it into a loop if you sent the 2nd channel off to the aux again .

90-110 is a bit slow. You want people to dance or take a nap? 118.
Doing this type of ****e I can literally fall asleep while I am making it. That's how boring my music is. Lol! Really it's the chord washing thru the verb...
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Now that you mention it, the prof. does look a little sleepy in this first one.

Old 30th August 2014
tun
Lives for gear

Quote:
90-110 is a bit slow.
Bit too fast if you ask me
Old 30th August 2014
there's a particular drum-percussion sound that's often heard, is it a conga or djembe...tinbale even..it's really common and often heard with an extra bounce of delay..?
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
No & yes.

No it's not a never ending loop. It's a channel to aux effects back into 2nd channel which is delayed.

Yes, you could make it into a loop if you sent the 2nd channel off to the aux again .

90-110 is a bit slow. You want people to dance or take a nap? 118.
Doing this type of ****e I can literally fall asleep while I am making it. That's how boring my music is. Lol! Really it's the chord washing thru the verb...
what about chord-less Dub...?
is there any examples that are not strictly musical in the old sense of the word, but just bass and percussive delays..?
Old 30th August 2014
Interesting mix of old and new gear to make dub..

Old 30th August 2014
Gear Maniac

you should listen to this album and recalibrate your whole ****.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
what about chord-less Dub...?
is there any examples that are not strictly musical in the old sense of the word, but just bass and percussive delays..?

heh
Old 30th August 2014
yeah that wasn't too bad...bit much noise after a while though...I like a bit more dela a a a a a a a yyyyyyy in it really...
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurniss View Post

you should listen to this album and recalibrate your whole ****.
as cool as that was, I would never contemplate trying to copy proper old school type Dub, particularly that stuff that leaned heavily towards reggae, I know my limitations, Dub style with modern digital equipment is where I'm at, doesn't hurt to learn the old techniques of course, but there won't be any "calibrating my ****" as it were...you can only capture those big reggae-dub vibes in proper studios with the right amount of personalities, vibes, gear and smoko...
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Maniac

+1 for rhythm & sound (also check "king/queen in my empire" versions)

Always liked this one as well. if you're looking for dub with a kick, this has it
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Speaking of modern dub, I really dig this one:

Old 30th August 2014
Gear Guru

You want to sound like OTT, get really, really friendly with Waves SuperTap 6. Not that just doing that will make anyone sound like OTT in a hurry.
πŸ“ Reply