The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lets make some dub techno
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

I discovered dub techno because of this thread, so thank you!

A question about drums:

Is delay placed on them? I seem to not hear any, at least not on the kick. Is it mostly reverb? If so, is it a spring reverb? I get that dub is about experimenting so there are no rules but generally speaking.

Starting at 11:50, is that a delay on a kick or is that delay from another instrument?

Old 17th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
I discovered dub techno because of this thread, so thank you!

A question about drums:

Is delay placed on them? I seem to not hear any, at least not on the kick. Is it mostly reverb? If so, is it a spring reverb? I get that dub is about experimenting so there are no rules but generally speaking.

Starting at 11:50, is that a delay on a kick or is that delay from another instrument?

That might be delay on the kick but it could be anything, it's a just a short clicky sound through a filtered ping-pong delay.

You absolutely can have delay on drums but since in dubtechno you usually have so much delay on the synths it can get a bit much if there's also drums flying around.
Old 25th November 2018
Here for the gear

Great thread! Dub is a huge influence on my music. Even my non-dub tracks heavily use dub techniques and vibes - all that bass, space and delay is addictive stuff.

Some tips that I've picked up on from making this kinda stuff over the years:

A lot of people seem to have issues with getting good feedback tones on delay ITB. While you're never gonna get the same tone as a real deal tape there is ways to improve the sounds you can get. In software I usually make a send channel with whatever delay plugin I fancy (with feedback at 0) and route it back into itself for feedback. This isn't anything new but to mimic more tape like tones the key is mimicking the imperfections building up on themselves. So in that delay chain good choices are things like saturation, a little noise generation, compression and frequency shifting (The Interrupter's Wow and Flutter is great for this). Very important is also using EQ in the chain - adjusting the EQ while feeding back gets great results. Naturally you have to be careful while doing all this as the FB loop can get out of control really quickly and if you push it too far it tends to get unpleasantly digital.

For dub techno stabs there's the classic saw chord through filter envelope thing but you can get creative with what you use for these.
This track I did a while back uses Mutable Intstruments' Rings for the chord stabs as well as the plucky guitar kinda line.
(anyone know if it's possible to do Bandcamp embeds?)
Of course there's also the classic instruments - guitar, horns, organs and rhodes all work great. A nice swirly phaser goes a really long way too.

I haven't seen anyone mention a classic dub techno trick yet either - running a reverb send and/or a noise track and sidechaining it to the kick. A phaser on the verb works well too. Gives that nice dusty, spacy background without destroying the mix. A bit of EQ-ing is required to avoid muddying things too much.

For basslines to me there's a difference in what works best for dub vs dub techno. Dub basslines really carry the tune of the song as a whole IMO and should be memorable and higher in the frequency range (relatively speaking... still gotta have that sub). Whereas dub tech basslines can work really well super low down into sub frequencies just giving movement to the track. To me a classic style dub track should have a bassline that shakes the floor but you can still sing along to - listen back to the old Scientist, Tubby or Lee Perry records and notice how memorable the basslines are.
A newer track I did here is probably more in the dub spirit of this thread - it's a pretty tripped out tune.. The bassline is higher than I'd do for techno. I've used a rhodes kinda sound for the stabs. I use the occasional snare I sampled off some old dub track, those really have vibe. The thing that really gives it dubbiness though is my next point...

For dub to really sound dub IMO you have to do it live. Set up sends for different delays, reverb and of course spring reverb and ride those knobs. I always run through my tracks live tweaking the sends and mutes. After all, that's how the real stuff was done! I'm also working on using the kit that Steven Slate recently put out for free to make more convincing drumtracks for dub. It's a lot of work programming all those velocities but I've been recording all of my output for future use so should be a valuable project.

I've already written an absolute wall here so I'll leave you with a few old dub techno tracks I've done:
One
Two
Three
The last one you can hear the deeper bassline compared to the rather melodic first two which are more trad-dub influenced.

...and just for fun here's the time I tried to make a dub of MJ's classic Billie Jean in traditional dub style.
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,
Here is something for you all.
I just thought I would make this a free download, so go enjoy. Hope you like it.
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Made a Ambient Dub jam with the Eminent 310 do the dub sounds with cassette delay and recorded on Yamaha MT 400 .

The video tape recorder got a dirty head and missed a part
Old 6th December 2018
Bleep goes dub.

Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear

Nice tracks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdreieck View Post
Great thread! Dub is a huge influence on my music. Even my non-dub tracks heavily use dub techniques and vibes - all that bass, space and delay is addictive stuff.

Some tips that I've picked up on from making this kinda stuff over the years:

A lot of people seem to have issues with getting good feedback tones on delay ITB. While you're never gonna get the same tone as a real deal tape there is ways to improve the sounds you can get. In software I usually make a send channel with whatever delay plugin I fancy (with feedback at 0) and route it back into itself for feedback. This isn't anything new but to mimic more tape like tones the key is mimicking the imperfections building up on themselves. So in that delay chain good choices are things like saturation, a little noise generation, compression and frequency shifting (The Interrupter's Wow and Flutter is great for this). Very important is also using EQ in the chain - adjusting the EQ while feeding back gets great results. Naturally you have to be careful while doing all this as the FB loop can get out of control really quickly and if you push it too far it tends to get unpleasantly digital.

For dub techno stabs there's the classic saw chord through filter envelope thing but you can get creative with what you use for these.
This track I did a while back uses Mutable Intstruments' Rings for the chord stabs as well as the plucky guitar kinda line.
(anyone know if it's possible to do Bandcamp embeds?)
Of course there's also the classic instruments - guitar, horns, organs and rhodes all work great. A nice swirly phaser goes a really long way too.

I haven't seen anyone mention a classic dub techno trick yet either - running a reverb send and/or a noise track and sidechaining it to the kick. A phaser on the verb works well too. Gives that nice dusty, spacy background without destroying the mix. A bit of EQ-ing is required to avoid muddying things too much.

For basslines to me there's a difference in what works best for dub vs dub techno. Dub basslines really carry the tune of the song as a whole IMO and should be memorable and higher in the frequency range (relatively speaking... still gotta have that sub). Whereas dub tech basslines can work really well super low down into sub frequencies just giving movement to the track. To me a classic style dub track should have a bassline that shakes the floor but you can still sing along to - listen back to the old Scientist, Tubby or Lee Perry records and notice how memorable the basslines are.
A newer track I did here is probably more in the dub spirit of this thread - it's a pretty tripped out tune.. The bassline is higher than I'd do for techno. I've used a rhodes kinda sound for the stabs. I use the occasional snare I sampled off some old dub track, those really have vibe. The thing that really gives it dubbiness though is my next point...

For dub to really sound dub IMO you have to do it live. Set up sends for different delays, reverb and of course spring reverb and ride those knobs. I always run through my tracks live tweaking the sends and mutes. After all, that's how the real stuff was done! I'm also working on using the kit that Steven Slate recently put out for free to make more convincing drumtracks for dub. It's a lot of work programming all those velocities but I've been recording all of my output for future use so should be a valuable project.

I've already written an absolute wall here so I'll leave you with a few old dub techno tracks I've done:
One
Two
Three
The last one you can hear the deeper bassline compared to the rather melodic first two which are more trad-dub influenced.

...and just for fun here's the time I tried to make a dub of MJ's classic Billie Jean in traditional dub style.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Made a quick jam with 909 samples and Behringer Model D with tape echo and reverb. All recorded in a single take.

Boogiedub - Clyp
Old 6th June 2019
Some Lo-Fi Dub for you
Recorded on the Tascam DP-008ex.
Old 6th June 2019
I know I started this thread and never really posted anything that truly resembles "dubby techno" per say, but I did go on a journey since starting this thread that has taken me to place I'm comfortable with now. It's not dub techno, but more psy ambient techno, around the same tempos. I find I always default to listening to things like Koan or Carbon Basedlifeforms, even Shpongle on occaisions and it's this genre that resonates with me most now, so I apologise for not contributing anything meaningful, but it has helped me find a place I like to be. I don't apologise however for the many cool tracks people have left here... this is what I come to GS for these days not the silly endless bickering nonsense threads or what not, but the discussions or threads where members are actually making some tunes or offering up informative productions knowledge...
Old 9th June 2019
Here's another dub techno track. I threw some acid in there, because it's me anyways, enjoy I'm quite happy with the way this one turned out.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCaVa View Post
Some Lo-Fi Dub for you
Recorded on the Tascam DP-008ex.
You win thst is so good. I am a dub adherent since the 70s when I was a kid and I love that you get the dub vibe but with found synth sounds from today, I have a system 1 thst I have a hard time getting to know, I will try to use it now because if this track
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear
Never mind on the Roland green lights I didn’t realize
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
You win thst is so good. I am a dub adherent since the 70s when I was a kid and I love that you get the dub vibe but with found synth sounds from today, I have a system 1 thst I have a hard time getting to know, I will try to use it now because if this track
Hey thanks,
The System 1 is more than capable of making some great dub chords. It's actually much deeper than the synth I'm using. It's all about the reverb, delay and live filtering for movement
I'm using a Yamaha Reface CS, and sampling the chords into my SP-404A where I'll add the effects and filtering.
Cheers,
M.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCaVa View Post
Hey thanks,
The System 1 is more than capable of making some great dub chords. It's actually much deeper than the synth I'm using. It's all about the reverb, delay and live filtering for movement
I'm using a Yamaha Reface CS, and sampling the chords into my SP-404A where I'll add the effects and filtering.
Cheers,
M.
Reface CS → SP404A sounds like a delicious recipe for dub techno chords.

Last edited by abluesky; 11th June 2019 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Reface CA → SP404A sounds like a delicious recipe for dub techno chords.
I enjoy this combination. Since the reface doesn't store patches, it leads to experimenting, when I find something I like, I'll sample the sounds into the Sp.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Here's a lil dubby synth improv I did at our offices for International Synth Day.

Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Head
For dub techno I haven't heard anything better than Maurizio - M6.

Are there any other classics that I should be aware of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtwlNv-9ek
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzod View Post

Yagya lp 'rigning 'is pretty good
so is 'will I dream during the process "
After these 2 albums , he started using pop like vocals in his music , and imho it all went down hill
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Nut

The whole chain reaction crew is crazy good, all classics. But fluxion vibrant forms 1&2 takes the cake for me.
On the other side of the lake there's deepchord, one half of deepchord rod modell has taken dub techno farthest from anybody imo.
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypowicz View Post
The whole chain reaction crew is crazy good, all classics. But fluxion vibrant forms 1&2 takes the cake for me.
On the other side of the lake there's deepchord, one half of deepchord rod modell has taken dub techno farthest from anybody imo.
Totally agree with this. I’m a big fan of cv313 too.
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzod View Post

They're probably already mentioned in this thread, but all the WAX stuff is great

Buy them here:
https://wax10001.bandcamp.com
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys and gals, been a while but I thought I would share a freebie. You can download my new track for free. Go enjoy and please feel free to comment.
Old 12th September 2019
New EP released, maybe someone here would appreciate.

https://unknowncause.bandcamp.com/album/greyscale-02

Elektrons, Valhalla, Madrona Labs, Omnisphere and Strymons sequenced in FL
Old 23rd March 2020
Here's another dub-techno track. Made with Reface CS, TR-8, SP-404A, TB-3 recorded on the Tascam DP-008ex.

Old 4th April 2020
This one was made on the Electribe 2 sampler. All factory sounds. Enjoy

Old 16th April 2020
Here's one more dub track from me, enjoy

http://neonhorn.bandcamp.com/track/lightbringer
📝 Reply