The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions for those who produced dance/trance in the late 90's....
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscowie View Post
Greetings Teknosmoker

You ready...... BEHRINGER COMPOSER

I cant recall exactly what was sent to the compression Buss but I'm pretty sure drums and bass always sent there. Overall it did give stuff a bit of extra punch and I used it on the majority of records I made during the 90's. Im also quite certain I was slamming it quite hard.

Also it was just there, part of the mixing desk. I rarely adjusted it. Another important factor to the sound I was getting was the 75hz cut off button every channel on the SR range has. It was engaged on every channel hence why almost none of my records have any low bass - which I was always totally fine with and still am. I have resurrected my low bass cut off on new stuff Im doing for release later this year but this time its 50hz (that could change to 75). I just never liked really low bass which I think comes from my 80's influences
+1 on the Composer although we had 3 of them, one on the master, the others for drum subs, punchy basses or for sidechain pumping.

Also lo cut on the Mackie was active anywhere but kick and bass on ours (I tend to mix too bass heavy anyway) to get rid of bass rumble.

This kind of setup was more or less kind of standard back then. Some had Macs instead of Ataris (I sequenced on an Amiga first), some had Akai samplers (we had K-2000s), Mackies everywhere.
Also seconding that nobody I know used pattern programming on their drummies, even our 808 had a Midi retrofit. Only exception to the pattern thingy would have been the 303 but I admit I tried using song mode maybe once or twice in my whole life. Jeez, that shyte was clumsy, especially with bouncing buttons - a standard "feature" on the 303 lol.
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
You ready...... BEHRINGER COMPOSER
I honestly would not be surprised at all if the Composer was rather heavily inspired by the 3630. Ticks all the feature boxes, too - except that the 3630 looks a bit cooler with its color scheme and the lights
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
This tune I wrote it in a freezing cold garage in Aberdeen (Scotland) one night in 1993 but it was so kinda out there in terms of sound it was rejected by my distributor so it sat on a DAT tape for over a year and a half before I released it.
Crazy—thanks for sharing! Fwiw rhythm of life was a fav track i still trot out to this day - just mad chill. thanks for releasing the Xcabs album at a time when it seemed like albums were dead.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Few of us had 909's, 808's, 303's or an array of analog or digital synths. If you did have a drum machine it had to be the 909.
Love this so much, man. Chris, keep it up! Solid tunes you made and so much you explain like a teacher. I will travel to Glasgow if only to have a beer and raise glasses with u to celebrate these proper works of art.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Crazy—thanks for sharing! Fwiw rhythm of life was a fav track i still trot out to this day - just mad chill. thanks for releasing the Xcabs album at a time when it seemed like albums were dead.
Influenced by John Barry's James Bond themes. I didn't even try to hide it - hey I was young and reckless

Quote:
Love this so much, man. Chris, keep it up! Solid tunes you made and so much you explain like a teacher. I will travel to Glasgow if only to have a beer and raise glasses with u to celebrate these proper works of art.
Aye lad, if you're ever in my neck of the woods we can have a wee dram and swap Techno stories PS I currently live in England..
📝 Reply