The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rave sound. What synths?
Old 27th May 2010
Rave sound.Rave influences. What synths?

Would be Roland Junos? I imagine this sound can't be 100% analog . I just listened a commercial song and yes it has that sound... Sometimes used in drum'n'bass, Prodigy, and now ...some cool sounds on Lady Gaga's song 'Just Dance' : YouTube - Lady Gaga - Just Dance ft. Colby O'Donis

Any idea?

thanks,
sfunk
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Guru

The Gaga sound is something different and not related to what you'd hear in rave. See https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...d-sources.html for screenshots and a demo.

What you should be looking for are not so much synths - but samplers. Lots of fragments from other tracks, looped until they're no longer recognizable. Short bursts of noise or powerchords looped to create the Cubik-style leads.

The Alpha Juno's responsible for the "Hoover" sound and probably lots of basses, pads and sequences, but it wouldn't be essential (unless of course you want that Hoover. Even then, the Hoover sound in Mentasm was resampled - the AJ doesn't have an S&H filter).
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The Gaga sound is something different and not related to what you'd hear in rave.
Probably Gaga's producers use the most ever cool synth-sounds.
Any idea?
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Try JP-80x0 or Virus
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfunk View Post
Any idea?
Did you click my link? The sound in Pokerface is very similar to that of Just Dance. If you have any other requests, just say so: I'll give it a try and post the screenshots/patches/soundfiles. Just be specific: post an MP3 or Youtube video with the exact time when you hear the sound and a description.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'd say JP8000/8080, Virus A,B and Supernova (or any other incarnation of the Nova series).
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

i didnt hear any sound in that track that almost any synth ever couldnt make. threads like this are silly, and always have the same answer, the one i just gave.

ps FWIW i really don't understand what the big deal about this artist is, which isnt necessarily to imply i think the music is crap but rather if u put on any song by her i've ever heard, there are instantly 10 to 20 artists from underground to mainstream for whom i would have mistaken her. truly generic.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

classic rave:

MKS50/Alpha Juno 1/2
DX100/TX81Z
Some Sampler (S1000's were popular)
TR 909
TB 303
Jupiter 6/MKS80
Juno 60/Juno106
SH 101
JX8P
Some Rompler for piano and organs (M1 or the like)

many a rave track have been made with the above setup. don't forget efx processors like the DP/4+ and some guitar pedals (HM-2 for instance).
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Best bang for the buck mks50 / alpha juno.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-poly View Post
Best bang for the buck mks50 / alpha juno.
you MUST get the PG300 if you get one - it makes it so much easier to program and you aren't tied down to editing it on a computer.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Some people aren't afraid of using the computer to edit it.
I bet he can grab one without programmer for $200 or less.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Sylenth 1 has several very convincing hoovers. It's also perfect for the effects and analogue mock up basses and leads. Honestly it's a pretty amazing vst synth for anything like this... probably more mixable than massive. A lot of the presets work really well in tracks as opposed to being 'OOOOOH'.

If you like gaga you might want to check out the electroclash artists her producers ripped off... sorry, but she hasn't improved on this sound, or style. Might get some better inspiration from what they used.

YouTube - Felix da Housecat - Madame Hollywood

I mean listen to this track? The difference is a bigger wider vocal, a chorus and a bigger kick, autotune on the voice... and it would be a gaga. It's about 8 years old.

Hoover sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: More electroclash

Fisherspooner - Emerge

Saw wave bassline, 606 on the drums (probably), saw wave lead/keys, bigger square wave bass later... done.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

poor Felix - he was much better back in the day

Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Did you click my link? The sound in Pokerface is very similar to that of Just Dance. If you have any other requests, just say so: I'll give it a try and post the screenshots/patches/soundfiles. Just be specific: post an MP3 or Youtube video with the exact time when you hear the sound and a description.
Thx for the link!

I'm looking for the stave bass-synth sound,the pads and the bass from the 3:10 part. YouTube - Lady Gaga - Just Dance ft. Colby O'Donis
I don't think u can play those pads with Massive but any sound is welcomed.

_____other subject
I like the precision of the big producers in making the sound decision , I don't wanna copy or be influenced, I only need a right direction...

I mean let's be clear,I don't care about music,I just luv some sounds doesn't matter from where.
Old 27th May 2010
one could recreate almost any lady gaga track with sylenth1 and nexus

you could use vanguard (or any other similar synth) instead but a virus would probably be ideal since apparently that's what they use most the time

here's a cover of bad romance i did with sylenth1, nexus, battery 3 and VEC3 samples

most effects are logic's except for psp oldtimer and t-racks 3 brickwall limiter
Attached Files

badromance_inst.mp3 (4.31 MB, 4199 views)

Old 27th May 2010
Here for the gear

I read somewhere that the swedish producer Red One is using Vanguard for those Gaga-sounds.
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
one could recreate almost any lady gaga track with sylenth1 and nexus

you could use vanguard (or any other similar synth) instead but a virus would probably be ideal since apparently that's what they use most the time

here's a cover of bad romance i did with sylenth1, nexus, battery 3 and VEC3 samples

most effects are logic's except for psp oldtimer and t-racks 3 brickwall limiter

Sounds nice, though vsts are limited on the bass section,at all.

I don't want to recreate sounds,I just wanna use hardware synths used by the most producers or great artists. I play a Nord Modular and it's great.
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Would be Roland Junos? I imagine this sound can't be 100% analog . I just listened a commercial song and yes it has that sound... Sometimes used in drum'n'bass, Prodigy, and now ...some cool sounds on Lady Gaga's song 'Just Dance' : YouTube - Lady Gaga - Just Dance ft. Colby O'Donis
What exactly do you need? A Rave sound or Lady Gaga sound?

These two have about nothing in common.
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
What exactly do you need? A Rave sound or Lady Gaga sound?

These two have about nothing in common.
Well u can say Aphex Twin sound but it's also TX81z sound
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

The O.P. asks about Rave sound and then posts Lady Gaga stuff? Get the fvck outta heere!
Do you even fvcking know what Rave means? Too many people on this forum forget to shut their pie hole before saying something stupid...Unfortunately, when you read all these posts one after another it makes this forum lose credibility....
Lady Gaga! Pfff! Yeaaah Riiiiight ! FLMAO! Raveyyyy! Whooo whoooo!
Old 27th May 2010
jlw
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post

Agreeed, I remember buying this on vinyl when it came out
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
The O.P. asks about Rave sound and then posts Lady Gaga stuff? Get the fvck outta heere!
Do you even fvcking know what Rave means? Too many people on this forum forget to shut their pie hole before saying something stupid...Unfortunately, when you read all these posts one after another it makes this forum lose credibility....
Lady Gaga! Pfff! Yeaaah Riiiiight ! FLMAO! Raveyyyy! Whooo whoooo!
I said rave sound and not rave style. Piano sound and piano style is not the same... I don't care about your limited vision.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said rave sound and not rave style. Piano sound and piano style is not the same... I don't care about your limited vision.
Accurate vision not limited vision, young ******!
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Accurate vision, not limited, you ******!
I don't care about Gaga I just like x sounds in a song.
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Accurate vision not limited vision, young ******!
"Ive been to raves man, REAL RAVES, nothing you youngsters might know anything about, and I can tell you there is nothing in common with the parties of my youth and lady gaga, NOTHING I tell you!"
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds nice, though vsts are limited on the bass section,at all.

I don't want to recreate sounds,I just wanna use hardware synths used by the most producers or great artists. I play a Nord Modular and it's great.
If you want a hardware synth that
has decent analog bass and is used
by "most producers or great artists",
you really can't go wrong with a Moog.

Try finding a Mood Voyager... and
spend time learning to really program
it, just like a guitar player learns
different riffs or processing chains.

It's not as "analog" sounding as an
older moog, due to some technical
reasons, but you can get a similar
quality of sound to rave/pop... whatever
anyone wants to call that.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
"Ive been to raves man, REAL RAVES, nothing you youngsters might know anything about, and I can tell you there is nothing in common with the parties of my youth and lady gaga, NOTHING I tell you!"
Except the stripping and cocaine. heh
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post

True.

Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
If you want a hardware synth that
has decent analog bass and is used
by "most producers or great artists",