The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rave sound. What synths?
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrintact View Post
Then you are not looking properly, there are tons of usefull tutorials on youtube
but if you don´t want to bother whatever..
prove it thumbsup

heh

Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Your proof...

Can we move on now? Please!
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict

What about this one Lollapalooza 2010

Probably alot of people din not find my sense yet

Stay firstly my friends
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
the AJ doesn't have an S&H filter).
You can get a pseudo-S&H sound using the PG300 and jiggling the cutoff fader up and down really quickly, generating tons of sysex data and creating stepping cutoff values
Old 12th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
classic rave:

MKS50/Alpha Juno 1/2
DX100/TX81Z
Some Sampler (S1000's were popular)
TR 909
TB 303
Jupiter 6/MKS80
Juno 60/Juno106
SH 101
JX8P
Some Rompler for piano and organs (M1 or the like)

many a rave track have been made with the above setup. don't forget efx processors like the DP/4+ and some guitar pedals (HM-2 for instance).

I forgot to say THX .
I have from this list only the TX81Z...) , I had no chance to make a sound on this way. Alpha,MKS80 on my list now
Old 12th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Except the stripping and cocaine. heh

It waz 'cid in mine dayz coke could not afford most.
For me, once was enough of that ****.
Wouldn't do it if it was 4 free.
Cause this **** ain't good.
Makes you see stuff.
And non stuff.
All in all.
Bob.
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

It waz 'cid in mine dayz coke could not afford most.
For me, once was enough of that ****.
Wouldn't do it if it was 4 free.
Cause this **** ain't good.
Makes you see stuff.
And non stuff.
All in all.
Bob.
Don, Is this Bob and one of his efforts?

Gotta love the M1y trippy bit at 1:53 heh

Old 14th August 2010
get a synth and start playing with it.

i don't know much about synthesis, but i can see how i could get one good synth to get about a million sounds. throw in effects pedals and d.a.w. manipulation and make that 10 billion.

I'm a reason guy through and through, and dabble in analog synthesis. I'm trying to combine the two on my next musical effort. I've made about 20 songs so far in reason, mostly just using the factory sounds that came with the program, and drowning them in effects. i picked up the free refills and one other one.

the point is, use what you got. you don't need to go out and buy all these synths other people used. use what you like. make your own rave sound. cut your own path. don't pigeon hole yourself to sound like genre a or b.

do some shopping, find a synth you like that you feel you could get alot of mileage out of and pick it up. then spend months learning it. read the manual.

however some of these guys could probably point you in the direction of a good synth to get and learn.

if by making your own rave sound, you end up sounding like someone else, that's just the way it goes, and maybe you could curb that to your advantage.

try not to get so wrapped up in what they use, but more how they use it.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Don, Is this Bob and one of his efforts?

Gotta love the M1y trippy bit at 1:53 heh

alright Flat, you're giving me major nostalgia here... yep, those were the sounds....
Forget a synth btw, just get a sampler and samples from the era
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknosmoker View Post
Nice! Not sure if it's nostalgia or just great acid music, but I still love the EP to death. heh Such simple elements, but really intense music - turned my head inside out as well.

Really liked Hyperactive and Woody McBride too. I remember opening for Hyperactive at a party in Arizona during the mid 90's. He started his set with Daft Punk's "Da Funk" before the "Homework" album was released - first time I'd ever heard it played.

Good times...

-T
A little late to reply to this one eh? =o] He was so annoyed to have to answer the question "Who is that?" when he would play Da Funk. He had the white label version, from what i remember. He was probably sick of that record by the time it was finally released proper =o] Is AZ still doing the Acid Rain parties? I really want to play one of those.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
A little late to reply to this one eh? =o] He was so annoyed to have to answer the question "Who is that?" when he would play Da Funk. He had the white label version, from what i remember. He was probably sick of that record by the time it was finally released proper =o] Is AZ still doing the Acid Rain parties? I really want to play one of those.
I'll bet he was! Needless to say, the whole floor (myself included) went nuts dancing when he dropped Da Funk at that party. I believe that rave was called "Electric Kool-Aid".

Ah, the Acid Reign parties... They would always have Woody McBride as the main headliner when I lived there. I'd been to a few and they were incredible. I may have even played at one, but those were kinda "foggy days" for me. I haven't lived in AZ for over 12 years though, so I'm not sure as to whether Swell still does them.

Phoenix was a great place to be in the mid/late 90's if you were into Acid/Hard Techno, as that was the main staple music at almost all parties. As that was my favorite music, I DJ'd and partied quite a bit. The "Full Moon Gatherings" in the Arizona desert were still my favorite raves though. Miss those days...

-T
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfunk View Post
Sounds nice, though vsts are limited on the bass section,at all.

Old 15th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
heh
Old 15th August 2010
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Nut

Yeah the main things you need are:-

A TR-909 for drums, a TR-727 for percussion, a 303 for Acid Bass Lines, then main synths would be a Korg M1, Korg Mono/Poly, Roland D-50, SH-101, Juno-60 and Juno-106 and a Casio CZ-101 and loads of samples.
Old 26th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Not rave, but the same gear, pretty much. He's using an Amiga tracker to run a load of stuff, Akai S1100 etc. Pretty good video. I've heard a few of his Hop Hop tracks, really nice.

Really well mixed. I can hear what sounds like subs on 3.5" Erises, lol!
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post

Not rave, but the same gear, pretty much. He's using an Amiga tracker to run a load of stuff, Akai S1100 etc. Pretty good video. I've heard a few of his Hop Hop tracks, really nice.

Watched that vid earlier on, brilliant. That's how it's done.

And this:-

All's you needed back then was the equipment, the knowledge of how it was done, knowledge of Cubase, Pro Tracker or OctaMED and a few months practice and sample building and you'd be away. Hopefully if you were creative and talented enough you'd knock out a few bangers. For years I've been tryna get all these sounds only recently to realise that the synths were just better than vst's back then. Analog gear all the way, the sounds are just there as presets in a lot of the cases. He isn't even using the classic Korg M1 piano and it still sounds good.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Except the stripping and cocaine. heh
And both parties being off their heads. 😂
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemind View Post
For years I've been tryna get all these sounds only recently to realise that the synths were just better than vst's back then.
Nah, it’s more that the sounds tend to be much heavier on the effects nowadays. Nobody’s going to notice you got your chord stab from Massive or a Poly61. Part of it is suspension of disbelief; it’s perfectly possible to make patches that would not be out of place in the 80s but it’s not going to work with modern methods of sounddesign.

Quote:
Analog gear all the way
He’s only using real analog for a few things, the rest is all digital. I see people using the word “analog” where they really mean to say “hardware”.

Again: the sampler was the most powerful and versatile thing to have in a 90s studio. It makes analog without MIDI polyphonic and multitimbral, and can take the role of a dozen drum machines.
Old 30th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
people using the word “analog” where they really mean to say “hardware”.

Again: the sampler was the most powerful and versatile thing to have in a 90s studio. It makes analog without MIDI polyphonic and multitimbral, and can take the role of a dozen drum machines.
I still see them as the most powerful thing tbh. Obviously, some of them had analog filters too, like the MPC's. Also, 90's samplers are more powerful that a lot of modern samplers. I love the way you can use the Digitakt because of the sequencer, but the EMU 6400 is miles more powerful, it's not even a competition.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
I still see them as the most powerful thing tbh. Obviously, some of them had analog filters too, like the MPC's. Also, 90's samplers are more powerful that a lot of modern samplers. I love the way you can use the Digitakt because of the sequencer, but the EMU 6400 is miles more powerful, it's not even a competition.
I agree; I’d say 90s samplers are powerful because they allow for chromatic sampling and the synth engine is usually developed better.

At this moment, I think the DAW is the most powerful, but it’s a different kind of power, and it’s taking up some roles that were previously done by a sampler, like vocal tracks. Instead of loading these in a sampler, you can now just put these snippets on an audio track. You would generally not use the entire synth engine for such samples anyway other than pitching/transposing.

There is a new class of plugin, popularized by Xfer’s Serum where you mix sampling and synthesis and have a lot of additional modulation routings. In general, one used to reach for a rompler or sample library if you wanted a nice Moog lead or so - now you’d just use a plugin for that and most free ones are better at the job than most samplers ever were.

That said, I gladly concede the point that the Ultra series is probably more satisfying and fun to work with than Kontakt and several other samplers. The smaller ones are generally restricted in some ways (which speeds up things) which makes it hard to compete with what an Ultra can do.

Thing is, sampling is mostly a UI issue as well. Just like FM, I think we’re still collectively searching for a good layout for a synthesis-focused sampler.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also the most expensive. Vintage synths and drum machines were fairly cheap back then. My first sampler cost me 3000€ (inflation-adjusted) in 1997. Nowadays you can find freeware VST's that do the same or you can shell out 50€ for the TAL Sampler, which smokes the Yamaha A3000 in most regards.

A decent sampler and a decent sample library (or a bunch of records to loot samples from) is all you need really. Everything else is a bonus.
📝 Reply