The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why does trance get such a bad rap?
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

that pic is awesome. if it was available in poster size i'd have it hanging on my wall now.
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

Thread revival from the left, I just found this old .. thing.. in my archive. I strictly remember I made it from LegacyCell because I found that so.. trancy

Pretty also explaines in many ways why trance has a bad rep now. It's all about the casssshhhh...

http://laserkrig.com/gah/German_girls_need_love_too.mp3
Old 30th January 2010
Lives for gear

I saw this video a couple days back.

This basically sums up why people hate it:

- 25000 people at "Tiesto in concert" in a football stadium
- DJ's as superstars
- Classical masterpieces getting "trance-efied"

Old 30th January 2010
Mr Arkadin
Barber's Adagio for Strings makes me weep. This one makes me weep for different reasons.
Old 30th January 2010
Lives for gear
wise words in this thread (grandpa syndrom lol)
so much discussion about taste, which is useless imo
1) the hype with tiesto is a total different thing imo, as you said its a concert, people come to hear just that one artist which is pretty impresive for a trainwrecking dj
once in a while a popular artist is spitted out by its scene and stands just for its own, (see pendulum, instantly hate all over the place...not my cup but ull get the point)
i mean, noone dare to say the rolling stones are bad for the rockmusic scene...people which are deeply involved in the particular scene and trying to push things forward couldnt care less and vice versa...IMO
2) djing became very popular with the hype of techno, it was just a matter of time the mainstream media jumps on (funny side is, techno used to be faceless, that was its intetion; UNDERSTATEMENT)
i think tiesto did it at the right time...no other dj could do that these days, djing per se kinda lost its myth, there were only a few dj-superstar-slots in history available and tiesto took one
we could discuss why most of em represent trancemusic
3) lol, i know what u mean, but mashing up classics of all kind of musical directions is simply a part of dancemusic and always will be i cant count the rmx´s of the twin peaks theme (i know 3 only in drum n bass context)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Barber's Adagio for Strings makes me weep. This one makes me weep for different reasons.
the first time i heard the piece i thought "i want to hear it on the dancefloor"
Old 1st February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post
I saw this video a couple days back.

This basically sums up why people hate it:

- 25000 people at "Tiesto in concert" in a football stadium
- DJ's as superstars
and then you hear something like this

and you forget about what trance has become
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

in about 92-93, the harder, darker 4/4 acid techno is what was called trance and i really got into. then i went to Toronto in 95 to a "trance" party. it was too uplifting. too many girls singing or moaning or talking in the records - the music had chord progressions and honestly, it was too musical. gone was the dark void of hard 16 and 32 bar loops. 8 bars, up an octave, 8 bars down a 5th, drum roll, sci-fi movie sample, up a 7th.

in 95 i started using the term "pussy trance" to separate it from the stuff i was into that i knew as trance music. the "pussy trance" was a commodity based on a formula that was designed to be consumed in mass and forgotten.

techno'd up club music for drunk girls. that's why i think it gets a bad rap, it jumped the shark and stole a name while doing it. namlook does not make pussy trance.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
in about 92-93, the harder, darker 4/4 acid techno is what was called trance and i really got into. then i went to Toronto in 95 to a "trance" party. it was too uplifting. too many girls singing or moaning or talking in the records - the music had chord progressions and honestly, it was too musical. gone was the dark void of hard 16 and 32 bar loops. 8 bars, up an octave, 8 bars down a 5th, drum roll, sci-fi movie sample, up a 7th.

in 95 i started using the term "pussy trance" to separate it from the stuff i was into that i knew as trance music. the "pussy trance" was a commodity based on a formula that was designed to be consumed in mass and forgotten.

techno'd up club music for drunk girls. that's why i think it gets a bad rap, it jumped the shark and stole a name while doing it. namlook does not make pussy trance.
i used to spin acid techno 93-95, it was called that afaik
subgenres: acid house,acidcore,hard acid (early stuff from ESP/woody mcbride,c.just,biochip c,.. labels like bunker,labworks,dropbass,early killit rec...)
nothing to do with trance
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post

Do you think Orbital's Belfast is a bastardisation of O Euchari? Is FSOL's Papua Nu Guinea a crime against Dead Can Dance? Say what you want about Tiesto and his rendition of Adagio but there is nothing inherantly wrong with reinterpreting classics and making them accessible for a new era and a different demographic. On this issue people have been saying the same **** for years.

As for PvD complaining about trance being cheesy in recent years. Thats a laugh. PvD is responsible for some of the worst cheese fondu to ever come out of the scene complete with facepalming videos featuring himself striking tortured poses in blinging apartments filled with photos of himself.
Old 2nd February 2010
Gear Nut

I don't give a flying fornication what anyone thinks, Solid Globe - North Pole is one of the most enjoyable and uplifting tracks I've ever heard. It might be formulaic, but it makes me happy in a way that none of this current aggressive style dance music can.

Oh and Wipeout 2097 was a fantastic game made even better by the soundtrack!
Old 2nd February 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
Say what you want about Tiesto and his rendition of Adagio but there is nothing inherantly wrong with reinterpreting classics and making them accessible for a new era and a different demographic.
There's a world between reinterpreting and adding something new (and making it good) and the ****-fest that this is.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

There's lots of good trance about, they just don't call it trance. Label it under techno and everyone suddenly likes it.

For example:

YouTube - Chymera - Ellipsis

YouTube - Pastaboys Limit Re Edit

YouTube - Donnacha Costello - Trust [Minimise]

YouTube - Jeroen Verheij - Chica-Go (Rejected mix)

Couldn't get the direct youtube links working, no idea why.
Old 2nd February 2010
Gear Maniac

techno track from - cirez d - "glow"...actually number 1 at beatport sellings chart has lots of trance vibe in main melody...am I wrong?

dr faust
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a world between reinterpreting and adding something new (and making it good) and the ****-fest that this is.
Thats just like, your opinion man.
Old 2nd February 2010
Quote:

And mine. And like the majority of the posters on here man.

The reasons have been given multiple times in this thread. PvD and his ilk are purvayors of some of the worst, most uncreative, soulless, commercial, dancefloor drivel ever made.

And in no way are Donnacha & Chymera anywhere near trance as we are discussing it here. They are both long time techno producers through and through, and would probably resent even being associated with anything 'trance'. I've seen and met them many, many times.

Now die thread die

Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
i used to spin acid techno 93-95, it was called that afaik
subgenres: acid house,acidcore,hard acid (early stuff from ESP/woody mcbride,c.just,biochip c,.. labels like bunker,labworks,dropbass,early killit rec...)
nothing to do with trance
when i was dj'in in that same era, this was trance and i don't hear 5th, 7th, and octave jumps. i don't hear the acid squeals from a 303. i don't hear a house beat. it's 4 on the floor and long loops of awesome... but techno this is not.

and i would call this acid trance

and yet more trance from that era - the piano break is not forced and at the time, it wasn't a cliche. you can't f with early Oliver Lieb

and yet more trance from that era

and the absolute classic of that era's trance music - it ain't acid techno

this is acid techno

Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
There's lots of good trance about, they just don't call it trance. Label it under techno and everyone suddenly likes it.

For example:

YouTube - Chymera - Ellipsis

YouTube - Pastaboys Limit Re Edit

YouTube - Donnacha Costello - Trust [Minimise]

YouTube - Jeroen Verheij - Chica-Go (Rejected mix)

Couldn't get the direct youtube links working, no idea why.
Yeah, this is more like what I remember Trance being like, back in the early to mid 90's. This was back when S&D were putting out Renaissance and Northern Exposure, Guerilla Records was kicking ass and taking names, back when "trance" was good, not the commercialized stuff that is labelled "trance" today.

Honestly, I think it all changed with the release of Binary Finary - 1998. That was the first track I can remember that championed the new sound of "trance" as it is labelled today, and the old sound I liked was relabeled as "Progressive" and sometimes "Progressive House".

Its interesting because there always seems to be a trend where major trance artists gradually start sliding into "Progressive" territory the longer they are on top. S&D did it starting with the Communicate series and even A&B seem to be getting away from their traditional supersaw type sound that made them famous in the last decade and going for a more progressive house type sound. Still way more commercial than your average techno DJ to be certain, but definitely a lot more progressive house influenced.

I don't particularly have a problem with the occasional trance track in the "new" style. There are a few gems to be found out there and it's sometimes good to end a long set with a couple of hands in the air trance tracks if the setting is right. The problem is that the number of these "gems" has been steadily declining over the years as more and more trance tracks become formulaic, static, boring and generally uninspired. I used to be able to find 15-20 tracks a month that I liked in the genre several years ago, and now I'm lucky if I find one or two.

One needs only look at a subset of threads on the major trance forums. A large number of them are "How do I get the computer to do this for me" type threads. People with little to no musical or engineering talent are looking to follow a formula long since played out and technology has advanced to a point where this has become possible. People are so focused on getting the right "mix" or the right "sounds" instead of just writing good songs. There has been little innovation in the genre as of late, and that is something that will need to change soon if the genre is to survive well into the next decade.
Old 2nd February 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Well, er, yeah, beacuse i tend to find writing other people's opinion a bit of a waste.

Regardless of whether i like trance or not, you have to admit that Tiesto's version of this does not possess a fraction of the soul of the mournful Barber 'Adagio'. i mean, it's mournful ffs, and now it's an uplifting anthem? Future Sound and Orbital always did something interesting with their 'lifts', this one is just crass.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL.
Old 2nd February 2010
Gear Nut

Whoever mentioned Spooky - thanks! Their stuff is awesome. Belong (original mix) is particularly haunting. It's more 'deep house' than 'trance', for anyone interested. Would have been a stand out track on one of those Hooj deep house mix cd's I reckon, along with Circulation - Turquoise (Different Gear remix), that's awesome too.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Circulation's Magenta is great too. I thought it was crap for a long time, until I realized you are supposed to play it at 33rpm and that it's actually a sweet low-tempo chill-out track. Stupid me.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post

i used to call that trance:

that acidtechno

and that acid hardcore

u see the difference ? we talk about the same era
i think many who hate dont even know what they talk about , lol, its all about the point of view

(at that time i thought about trance as the weakest link between underground and commercial music tbh,...
but trance music brought me to electronic music and i digged deeper, not many do, or are just happy...but music shouldnt be just happy, imoimo)
Old 8th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Whoever mentioned Spooky - thanks! Their stuff is awesome. Belong (original mix) is particularly haunting. It's more 'deep house' than 'trance', for anyone interested. Would have been a stand out track on one of those Hooj deep house mix cd's I reckon, along with Circulation - Turquoise (Different Gear remix), that's awesome too.
Yeah it rocks! You should check out the Echoplex remix aswell

I think I one time heard a remix of that track by Gabriel & Dresden, but I cant find it anywhere. It was a very chilled out remix, kind of similar to the Sasha remix on Involver, but not that one. Anyone?
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

To me, this is all trance (at its best):

Also used to call this trance:

It's all distinctly different from the cheesy, easily accessible stuff that flooded the mainstream shortly afterwards. At that time I stopped listening to "trance", because - as has been rightly pointed out - by then the term ment something else entirely.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
It's all distinctly different from the cheesy, easily accessible stuff that flooded the mainstream shortly afterwards. At that time I stopped listening to "trance", because - as has been rightly pointed out - by then the term meant something else entirely.
i am right there with you - i think the difference in point of view also has to do with regional associations. on the East Coast, trance and acid techno are a bit different than what the Mid West things as those names...

-steve
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Head
I have to admit I'm not as fond of trance music I seem to hear nowadays. Oddly enough trance music is what turned me on to electronic music originally but this would have been early to mid nineties. Trance music now just usually seems a bit less innovative to me compared to older trance (92-96 era) I grew up on.

Some of my favorite labels were Platipus, Eye-Q, and Rising High to name a few. I can still listen to songs from back then and I think they're great - Union Jack is still one of my favorites. Recent trance just doesn't catch me the way that trance music did back then.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmentated View Post
I can still listen to songs from back then and I think they're great
sadly, so much rave and breaks from that era sounds so dated - the trance/acid techno/acid trance sounds timeless. good music is good music. ask James Brown. oh wait, i hear he's dead
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

This thread is boring now............Move on ladies!

alexP
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

i was in a cd store and the electronic music section, labeled "Dope Beats" was mostly anthem trance compilations.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
This thread is boring now............Move on ladies!
here, let me put on a fly trance track, that should uplift you...

📝 Reply