The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why does trance get such a bad rap?
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Addict

I'm going to Hijack my own thread now,

Where do you all think Electronic dance music is going in the future? What will it sound like in the year 3000 provided us stupid humans figure out how to live that long? haha
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

generally speaking , I've seen that a major part of trance producers do have a background as musicians , even classical trained musicians .

I don't see it that much in other styles ...

worth mentioning !
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

and i forgot to say:
Trance does not suck . It's awesome ;-) .
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossaree View Post
generally speaking , I've seen that a major part of trance producers do have a background as musicians , even classical trained musicians .

I don't see it that much in other styles ...

worth mentioning !

are you serious?

edit - thats where all the elitist snobbery comes from in trance. nothing can touch the classically trained musician.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

The only trance i can say i like these days is the pre 00's mainstream and goa trance. Goa would have to be my favorate of all trance genres to date.

Although i do get nostalgic whenever I hear an old Jan Johnston track.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

When I peruse Ishkur's guide to trance (via the button labeled trance) I'd have to say that I mostly agree with the genres he's putting stuff into and his descriptions, especially when he gets to Robert Miles I completely Agree. "Children" was so sickeningly 'sweet' that I checked to see if my stepmother was listed in the credits and having a final sarcastictly sweet jab at my brain and largely stopped listening to trance. I did keep up with a bit of the 'psytrance' via having enjoyed Eat Static in the mid 90's, but I didn't really collect it either.

I have to admit a fondness though for some of the "chillout" or "ambient trance" of that era:
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post

are you serious?

edit - thats where all the elitist snobbery comes from in trance. nothing can touch the classically trained musician.

actually I am pretty serious !
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVries View Post
Ok som i'm going to try and sum up a little of what I'm hearing. Please let me know if I'm off base.

In the Mid-late 90s up till about 2001 (ehh 2000 to be safe) trance was coming about and still exciting. It was new. It had wow factor. .
no not at all.. 'trance' was sometimes quite subtle (these days so many DJ/Producer just want to hit you over the head w/bull**** for 8 minutes), it was analog sounding.. a little dirty, a little edgy (though of course like any genre with in genres with in genres things varied and there were of course different personalities making different music so there was a lot of room) and the whole culture (dj's included) was still kind of subversive and Dj's were faceless people who didn't throw their hands in the air let alone get voted for by magazine readers doing internet (popularity contest) polls.

then i don't know.. what was bubbling underground and sticking it's head up once in a while for air went way above ground and the gear manufacturers started making techno in a box and catering to melodic arpegiated crap.. e-tards became common and everything became marketable and commercialized. srsly though.. once things like the access virus came out w/8 parts of sync'd arpegiators trance became as formulaic as anything else and then it never left that arena. though i cant say for sure as i don't really follow the trends.

if you want to make comparisons just track down some network23, spiral tribe, the first couple plastikman records.. even some DJ sets from laurent garnier, billy nasty and dave angel from say.. 1992-1995 and the difference in sound is remarkable compared to something like "hard desert trance" (the first one) which has a lot of good tracks on it and is something i consider to be a pretty good representation of "just before the cycling melodies epic build up break down in every song" trend started...

but whatever.. i don't know ****. i'm old and like to listen to weird dark music

btw - anyone get the info about the new autechre coming out in march?

i pre-ordered the vinyl

BLEEP - High Quality Music and Media from Bleep.com

and as usual.. any mention of trance requires a trancecracker.

The Trancecracker!

heh
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

people diss Trance because it's the most popular dance music. It makes them seem cool.
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Addict

Hi My name is JB and I am a Trance Addict........ wait there's a thought. What if I post the same OP on Tranceaddict.com forums? I wonder what the difference would be. My guess is there would be literally no objectivity.

Haha the trancecracker site is a veritable "hoot"
Old 14th January 2010
i used to make random trance songs on reason 3 but that's as far as i ever went with trance..

unless velvet acid christ count as trance?
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
people diss Trance because it's the most popular dance music. It makes them seem cool.
i don't think dissing trance is a path to fonzi like coolness.

what is "cool" anyways? doesn't that change every 38 seconds?

honestly, cool is for kids and people who have their picture taken as a side effect of their occupation.

it's all just opinion... i'm fine w/rabid trance fans... who cares.. go like what you like.. life is to short to care. spend your time doing those things that make you happy or whatever...
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

It's bound to go full circle anyway so you'll always end up being cool at some point in time heh I feel and anti-minimal backlash coming on, to the trenches!
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Maniac
i dont where shpongle falls into this discussion but that is some out of body music right there! its the full on arpeggio/4 on the floor stuff i dont really like
Old 14th January 2010
Here for the gear
I watched the clip up to the point where he starts talking about orchestras.

What I got from what he said about 'trance' was that the same old arpegiator patterns and vocals are boring and well past their use-by date. I got the impression he was trying to distance his music from the cheese he doesn't like by trying to put **** on the genre label 'trance', not by saying all trance is ****, but by trying to point out that a lot of cheesy music is being sold because it follows the stereotypical trance formula. By giving his music a different label he is trying to give it a broader market (people may give his music more of a chance if they don't like trance based on the sterotypical idea of what trance is). Perhaps he is a philantropist and is trying to open up new horizons for aspiring musicians. I'm being sarcastic now...

Is it an 'Art vs commerce' debate? Trance sells and fills stadiums but perhaps those of us who have been around it for a couple of decades might be craving something new but we still have to pay the bills so trance is a necessary evil? I would liken it to my situation with rock music: Playing cover songs pays much much better than performing original songs (until the original songs get known and generate royalties and ticket/ merchandise sales). Now, performing originals is much more satisfying musically for me but whether or not my songs will make good money in the future is unkown. What is certain is that if I play in a covers band I will make good money right now. Can you see what I am getting at? I am likening cheesy trance tunes to covers bands which is not technically accurate because cheese or not, the cheesy trance track is still an original. But by writing a cheesy trance track a producer has a better chance of making money because there is a huge market for trance, just like there is a bigger market for cover songs (every famous song written so far in history) than there is for original songs (one artists repetoir). Think about it....

I would argue though that at the end of the day if people want to listen to the same old **** re-hashed over and over, if they want to eat heavily processed fast foods and if they want to see the same script reworked and performed by the same hollywood actors over and over and over again then who are we, the humble artistes to begrudge them their enjoyment (and take their money).
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think there is more truth to those words then many might dare to admit.

However, what I don't get is why people keep on labeling and classifying music?

Music is just music, if I like a song then I like it, I don't give a flying f**k whether it is considered Trance or whatever else.

It's either good or bad. I pitty the fools who only listen to music that is labeled, I really do.

Also, stop using words like "IDM, GOA, Minimal Tech Trance (are u serious?!?), and so on. It's all just electronic music!

I really miss the days where DJ's really where DJ's, knew a broad repertoire of good dance music and truly interacted with the crowd.

I remember evenings where you would hear tracks being mixed as follows:

Good life (inner city) would be dropped and right after you could hear - Plastic Dreams (Jaydee) only to be followed by
Underworld - Rez and then
Age of Love - Age of Love followed by
Public Energy - Three O' Three

Nowadays, there are no DJ's anymore that would have the balls to go ahead and mix genres like that, cause most of them are hung up on playing the same genre over and over and over. Just 1 year ago I went to a club and there was this guy with his Serato Decks, playing Chicago House for 2 hours straight, it was so f**cking boring, like unbelievable.

Same with so many clubs, like have you ever been to a minimal club? It's a freakin joke, sorry. 3 hours straight of little glitchy crap, and then ONE hihat kicks in and the crowd goes mental...erm..owkeeee.....

There is just so little good DJ's left who really know what they are doing...

Kids see Richie Hawtin and think they can be like him...

Oh my, sorry for the rant guys, I got carried away
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

I don´t like most trance tracks because they are lacking rythm & groove wich is the soul of dance music. Usually it´s just a big mush of minor . Boring.
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
No. It's because it's an awful, cheesy form of music that all sounds the same.

There, I said it.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1000
Old 14th January 2010
It is all subjective:

A - You're a teen, you listen to Basshunter because it is cool.

B - You're into your twenties, you get all the radio streams

available thru iTunes, so you think you know DA SCENE

and you can argue about Ol'Skool Goa, Psychedelic Techno

and Darktrance. You skip mainstream artists as Tiesto.

C - You're into your thirties, almost a records collector, you

surf on DiscoGS to catch all the missing CDs to complete

your selection of your favourite Dragonfly, Hypnotic, Matsuri

and TIP World records.

My impression is that those who diss techno and trance, just can't dance.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

It's funny how names change.

What I used to call "trance" (Earth Nation, Ralf Hildenbeutel, Eye-Q/Harthouse) is what people call techno now.

What I used to call "techno" (early Rob Hood, Mills, Claude Young, Carl Craig, Roy Davis) is what people call minimal now.

What I used to call "Club" (Tony De Vit) is what people call trance now.

I actually like some early "trance" stuff... like Speedy J (G-Spot), Leftfield, Ralf Hildenbeutel.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Its just society. We like to criticise these days. Take a look at these forums espically at the moment. There's some really amazing products coming out and yet someone somehow will still try to and dfegadall over it and go out of their way to find something wrong.

Digital eqs all sound the same
Analog vs digital
digital vs softsynth
uad vs waves vs blah de blah

Above are prime examples. People need to get a life and chill out a bit.

Me, i liked trance years ago and i liked gabba and dnb in fact i pretty much like or have liked most of the genres of Dance. What i cant hear really is much difference in the styles and sounds these days. Theres always been good and bad music most good tracks sound the same now as they did then and sometimes apart from subtle differences i dont think the music has changed very much at all. I do think the whole culture of dance music and society has turned much more aggresive and materialistic

Overall i think the actual music is very similar. You might say that track from 92 sounds loadsssssss better than the crap on beatport today. That might be becuase the track you heard in 92 was stood atop a 75k sound system at 16 years old rushing for the first time in your life with your best mates and not on headphones via a latop at work where you slave to pay your bills and pay the mortgage?

Ben
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
You might say that track from 92 sounds loadsssssss better than the crap on beatport today. That might be becuase the track you heard in 92 was stood atop a 75k sound system at 16 years old rushing for the first time in your life
Nah. The music was worse in 92.

The parties, drugs, people were much better

There was a mystery to everything that doesn't exist in the land of the internet.

And the police weren't hip to what was going on.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

[h1]Doug Stanhope - This Generation Sucks:[/h1]
YouTube - Doug Stanhope - This Generation Sucks
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Maniac

the same thing is happening to techno...

once there's a hundred and one sample CD's, patches and tutorials for any given popular genre it is inevitable that floods of mediocre releases will follow... flooding the market and turning people off.

although, it has to be said that the main problem with more recent 'trance' is that there are no trancey elements! It's just a name that's used for anything with melody.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
I feel and anti-minimal backlash coming on, to the trenches!
maybe that italian shuffled tika, tika, tika sound will be the trance of the 2010's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 View Post
My impression is that those who diss techno and trance, just can't dance.
i find it a lot harder to dance to trance than i do techno. it's a different groove.
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Van Dyk is a cheesemuffin; whatever he says, I would generally think the opposite. Even if he's right.

That said, I think trance has some decent showings, both earlier and later.

Here's a classic, minimal oldie:

Andromeda- Dream Frequencies
YouTube - Andromeda - Dream Frequencies ( '93 Trance)

Another favorite:

Faithless- God is a DJ
YouTube - Faithless - God Is A DJ

And perhaps one of the more creative tracks, bordering on house music:

Three Drives- Greece 2000 (the original...only go for the best)
YouTube - Three Drives On A Vinyl - Greece 2000 (Original Mix)

In my opinion, (and it is an opinion) these three pieces show very different aspects of trance, but none are reflective of the heavy criticisms logged against the genre. Andromeda has lofi crunch and punch; Faithless has meaninful lyrics and epic soundscapes; Three Drives just has an amazingly simple, creative and completely moving melody.
Again, just my 2 cents, but I'm not somebody who necessarily goes for "McDonalds" and I still love these "trance" tracks.

Enjoy'em.

-m
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVries View Post
Where do you all think Electronic dance music is going in the future? What will it sound like in the year 3000
No Oil = No Electricity = No Electronic Music
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
[h1]Doug Stanhope - This Generation Sucks:[/h1]
YouTube - Doug Stanhope - This Generation Sucks

Awesome and about sums it up
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

acid is totally played out, however, i still listen to it because it's so strange.

THIS IS COCAINE SPEAKING

PEOPLE YOU MUST RISE FROM YOUR GRAVES.
YouTube - Phuture - Rise From Your Grave

you don't hear that in trance

but acid is not popular. however, it can be used for rave mutant identification.
📝 Reply