The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Claude Vonstroke
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Claude Vonstroke

Claude VonStroke...

Forgive me for my ignorance.... but I heard a track by this guy yesterday called Vocal Chords.

Dumbest track i think i have heard in a long time. Just goes to show you can be a ****e remixer/dj and ruin a good thing.

Whatever happened to adding some soul to a track?

For those that haven't heard it, he basically just throws a vocal sample into (software sampler of choice) and chops it up to a very standard 4/4.

Kinda makes me sick that there are so many do-it-by-the-book producers out there. (ie. Tiesto an the like) ugh.
Old 18th November 2009
he actually has his own style and is quite creative the way he approaches techno. Mixing ghetto tech vibes into techno is pretty cool IMO.
Agreed tho that this vocal idea is a little plain and gimmicky...still, the beat bumps...
Not fair to compare CVS to Tiesto...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

It's a fun little track that puts a smile on people's faces. I consider it a 'holding pattern' kind of track for when the booze is starting to settle in but it's still too early to start thinking about packing the dancefloor. Defninitely loosens people up though, and injects a bit of humour into the atmosphere. I certainly wouldn't play it every night but situationally it can be a nice DJ tool.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i think its really creative man, did you watch the future music dvd? he said he had a singer come over and do 3 octaves (every notes) with "ohs" & "ahs" then probably spent an entire day getting the samples right and maped it on to a keyboard. literally doing his own multisampling and just played some patterns. maybe my book isn't as cool as yours but that's pretty creative in mine
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

I saw him a few times while I lived in San Francisco. He makes the crowds move until early morning and definitely has his own unique style. If you want to hate on someone for not having much talent just turn on commercial radio and do it until your heart is content.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ok, so maybe i haven't given him a fair shake.
I would listen to his stuff if i had access to it.

Maybe the idea of just multisampling a vocal sound is old hat to me.

If you can point me in the direction of something awesome he's done then i will listen.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologie View Post
Claude VonStroke...

Forgive me for my ignorance.... but I heard a track by this guy yesterday called Vocal Chords.

Dumbest track i think i have heard in a long time. Just goes to show you can be a shite remixer/dj and ruin a good thing.

For those that haven't heard it, he basically just throws a vocal sample into (software sampler of choice) and chops it up to a very standard 4/4.

Kinda makes me sick that there are so many do-it-by-the-book producers out there. (ie. Tiesto an the like) ugh.
yes you are ignorant. although this particular track may well be a turkey, he's written a couple of true classics. he certainly does have a huge amount of talent IMO and i rate him very highly for his genre.

to help put this in perspective for you i'll tell you about picasso. i love this guy's art, he's not my favourite artist but i do think he was a genius. now i went to the picasso museum in paris a few years back and they had the place jammed with his work. and let me tell you not all of it was A+.

for me i'de say around 30% of what was on show was utter shit. the guy was so important that the museum curators felt they had to show everything, including his turkeys. i really couldn't believe some of this shit was done by the same guy that made such awesome pieces. but there you go. what i'm saying is great men/women don't always hit the bullseye. they **** up like the rest of us
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you can point me in the direction of something awesome he's done then i will listen.

check out his album 'beware of the bird':

imo deepthroat, whos afraid of detroit, the cicada remix & beware of the bird are all brilliant.
the remix for poxy music as well... simple as fk, but hits the spot.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ok fair enough beers.

I checked some more stuff out from him and his production is better than i previously thought.
Old 19th November 2009
I like his stuff, he's made some great tracks like 'Beat That Bird' which is brilliantly simple.

Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

I'm with ecologie, people like CVS pale in comparison to the production skills coming from stables such as Kerri chandlers through to Rob Hood. His tracks, in my opinion, sound so obviously reason-esque, it's embarrasing.

CVS might of put out one or two decent mid set fillers, but he's of a generation that can only dream of reaching the dizzying heights of originality the likes of Maurizio hit.

YouTube - Maurizio - Domina (Maurizio Mix) [HQ Audio]
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrD. View Post
people like CVS pale in comparison to the production skills coming from stables such as (enter your favourite heroes here)
agreed, but you're looking at it too seriously - its the simplicity and humour that makes it brilliant. its refreshing to have an artist thats not looking to make the darkest soulsearching epic of a Ketamine enhancer known to man. but again, doesnt mean he's an exceptional producer either.

Quote:
dizzying heights of originality
what a brilliant quote. not sure if it applies to the track you posted though as dubby techno from 1993 isnt what id call dizzying.
either way, comparing artists doesnt really serve a valid point - one mans Raquel Welch is anothers Samantha Fox (wtf ). thats the whole beauty of subjectivity, and why theres space for all our music out there.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

isn´t there a whole subgenre called "fidget house" based on his music/label?

i might mix this up though ...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiluv View Post
isn´t there a whole subgenre called "fidget house" based on his music/label?
this subgenre exist but it is not really based on CVS's music or label as some of the early stuff released on Dubsided, Made To Play, Frontroom was already mentioned as this before CVS and his label dirtybird came up..
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiluv View Post
isn´t there a whole subgenre called "fidget house" based on his music/label?.

No, that would be Switch and more recently Potty Mouth. Comparing CVS to Robert Hood is not really valid, totally different kettle of fish, ones head down full on techno the other catchy 'effective' house, imo. CVS is not my favourite producer, give me Audion any day, but his tracks work well on the dance floor either way. I have no problem with 'simple' tunes, often they are the best ones, and just cause something sounds simple, doesn't mean its easy to make as everyone here should know.

Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like his stuff. Simple, clever and fun. Kind of like the older techno and house that made me so into the music to begin with.

I am not sure why you need to hate on a guy if you don't like his music.
Envy because of success or because he makes it looks easy to make people like his stuff & dance?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrD. View Post
I'm with ecologie, people like CVS pale in comparison to the production skills coming from stables such as Kerri chandlers through to Rob Hood. His tracks, in my opinion, sound so obviously reason-esque, it's embarrasing.

CVS might of put out one or two decent mid set fillers, but he's of a generation that can only dream of reaching the dizzying heights of originality the likes of Maurizio hit.

YouTube - Maurizio - Domina (Maurizio Mix) [HQ Audio]
To be fair all three you've mentioned probably have ten years on VonStroke

He's a talented guy and does most of his work with soft synths, Kerry Chandler has been doing house for years and learnt off the best and has a crap load of equipment, skill, etc.

That being said Chandler is one of my fav producers.

Hood... well

U.R. are dope and were some of the pioneers of the scene

Maurizio well... another pioneer
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

interesting posts, after watching his futuremusic vid he seems like a really nice light hearted guy, this humour is definitely in his music

it may sound a bit reasony but ive never been on a dance floor where people say oh my god he made this in reason and stopped dancing

if it grooves, it grooves and thats all the dance floor are after
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Hope nobody took what I said as a 'fact' statement, I'm very open minded to how subjective everything is. I just get baffled by what (important to note this is opinion based again) seems to be a serious decline in the quality, heart, soul and feeling that goes into electronic music. Seems to of steadily gone downhill, as good as CVS is in comparison to most current trend producers, it says a) nothing about him. B) everything about how low standards are now.

I'm open to be shot down as necessary
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nonesense, that track is pure genius masquerading as a silly bit of novelty techno. I think using all the vowel sounds in our range of hearing is a great and unique idea for a track. Hear it on a Funktion 1 system with tons of hot girls grooving their asses off and I promise you'll change your mind. Oh and its DANCE MUSIC, it doesn't have to be serious and technically amazing, it just has to be fun and get people moving.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I read somewhere that in CVS early days of production he had a shed load of gear that got blown by a voltage surge. Might not be true considering his lack of knowledge that comes across in the future music interview he did recently. I did like his style when i first heard his songs, but i also thought it all sounded rather digital and static. somehow lacking that bounce and movement i guess i was accustomed to with most other house and techno id heard over the years. His tunes sounded boring in comparison. It made me think shit am i missing something here..or am i just getting old....cause to me this sound s a bit toyish and lacking vibe
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

when i first heard vocal chords a couple of weeks ago! it felt like sex!
that is all!
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejclark View Post
when i first heard vocal chords a couple of weeks ago! it felt like sex!
that is all!
what does this make you feel like?
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
what does this make you feel like?
that feels like sex with 5 people!
i need to have a jean michele jarre day sometime soon
Old 20th November 2009
wow dude, you horney!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

My intention wasn't to bash him.
Hey if the guy is making cash off this style than so be it.

I just didn't get the track. From what I gather from you guys, it's dancefloor filler material. Not epic, but a staple nonetheless.

His other productions were pretty tight in retrospect. I just happened to hear this ~ish on Sirius and was dumbfounded as to how:
1) this was a good representation of him (from what Beers said, some people can produce some real turkeys)
2) It sounded really elementary. (Don't kick me in the nuts for that one, it was an observation) I was doing that sorta stuff with Acid on my PII ages ago I felt.

I'm sure he's a nice dude tho coming from the Vimeo I saw from FM.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Claude VonStroke...

Dumbest track i think i have heard in a long time. Just goes to show you can be a shite remixer/dj and ruin a good thing.

After reading this I was curious and downloaded the song, expected something really
stupid ... BUT ... the track is absolutely BRILLIANT!!

Just think of Andy Warhol
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I sense a techno combover and tight pants victim here. The music slowly enables you to be cooler than everyone, and the critic sets in. You were VIP at a show and it went to your head...then you made your own beat and everyone danced, you almost saved the world that night
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My intention wasn't to bash him.
Hey if the guy is making cash off this style than so be it.

I just didn't get the track. From what I gather from you guys, it's dancefloor filler material.
dont like this track either... give me a Guido Schneider vs Galluzzi track over this anyday, but his other stuff is def worth a listen. like you say, its a lot tighter.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

hmmm i didn't particularly think his music sounded "reasony" at all, are you sure that's not because he publicizes it everywhere?

not a general fan of his stuff but i think he's a good producer, and this release will throw you for a loop if you think he's just a hack who churns out hits

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/...389/Aundy%20EP
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear