The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drexciya
Old 15th June 2018
  #181
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
probably already been linked but this rare interview is pretty interesting:

What a guy, amazing!
Old 15th June 2018
  #182
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Here of some of my favourite James Stinson tracks. He has an astonishing body of work for someone who’s career was so tragically cut so short. So many albums and projects on top of countless Drexciya releases. An incredible talent. I didn’t hear of Drexciya until a few years after he died and I was mortified when I found out and that there’d never be any more. Such a tragedy.









I also picked up a ‘new’ vinyl by Stinson at the record shop a month or two ago. Jack Peoples - Laptop Cafe it’s called. A few recently unearthed, previously unrealeased tracks. Happen not his best work i’ll admit, but it’s great to hear something new from him so long after his passing. Here’s my favourite from that:



As for Drexciya tracks, here’s one that I really love:



I know it’s very repetitive, and clearly not their best, but that kinda ‘slap’ sounding bassline, it’s just too damn funky. Love it.

And to round this post up; here’s what i’d call the definition of a Detroit techno BANGER:



Drexciya. My joint favourite music in the world along with Aphex Twin. Can’t decide who I like the most.
Old 15th June 2018
  #183
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
What a guy, amazing!
What a guy!

Old 7th September 2018
  #184
Here for the gear
 

Hello aquatic comrades,

well it's touching to see that this thread is alive more than 10 years. Totally fair for that duo of Drexciyian beasts.

So I would like to steer the conversation back to the gear components of Drexciya and mostly to the analysis of all those aquatic sounds, those dolphins' and whales' songs, mermaids' voices, foaming strings and underwater kicks hitting like hammers.

I have a Nord Rack 2x and spent a whole weekend to re-create that amazing sound at 0.09 of this wonderful track:

Sighting in the Abyss
YouTube

I suppose it consists of pulse wave oscillators with pulse width modulation. Maybe some reverb/delay and a band-pass filter? Any clues or tips?

Apart of that, would be nice to share any other tips or thoughts of how to create those warm high-frequency strings or leads, the metallic arpeggiators or that bubble sounds.

At last, just to make it clear. I have no intend to copy anybody. I am trying hard to shape my own sound. Recreating sounds or track parts from artists that I love is an exercise to me to get deep knowledge of my gear.

Have a wave-smashing weekend!
Old 11th September 2018
  #185
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Lots of Roland analog and Yamaha digital, I reckon.
Old 11th September 2018
  #186
Gear Addict
 

I haven't read the whole thread so i hope someone has mentioned this as you can't really have a conversation about drexiya without including this side project of Stinsons arguably one of the finest electro albums of all time

Lifestyles Of The Laptop Cafe by The Other People Place on Spotify


Lifestyles of the Laptop Cafe - Wikipedia
Old 11th September 2018
  #187
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBed View Post
Hello aquatic comrades,

well it's touching to see that this thread is alive more than 10 years. Totally fair for that duo of Drexciyian beasts.

So I would like to steer the conversation back to the gear components of Drexciya and mostly to the analysis of all those aquatic sounds, those dolphins' and whales' songs, mermaids' voices, foaming strings and underwater kicks hitting like hammers.

I have a Nord Rack 2x and spent a whole weekend to re-create that amazing sound at 0.09 of this wonderful track:

Sighting in the Abyss
YouTube

I suppose it consists of pulse wave oscillators with pulse width modulation. Maybe some reverb/delay and a band-pass filter? Any clues or tips?

Apart of that, would be nice to share any other tips or thoughts of how to create those warm high-frequency strings or leads, the metallic arpeggiators or that bubble sounds.

At last, just to make it clear. I have no intend to copy anybody. I am trying hard to shape my own sound. Recreating sounds or track parts from artists that I love is an exercise to me to get deep knowledge of my gear.

Have a wave-smashing weekend!
Sounds like a ROMpler to me rather than subtrative
Old 11th September 2018
  #188
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b6e9904 View Post
Lots of Roland analog and Yamaha digital, I reckon.
Guys, as I mentioned I am talking about sound synthesis guidelines rather than gear infos. More or less it is known what kind of engines were used by that underwater duo. But I think it's time to explore further the flooded cave of drexciyian sound synthesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik80 View Post
Sounds like a ROMpler to me rather than subtrative
So you think it's sampled or something similar. It could be, however which do you think would be the recipe if it was produced via subtractive synthesis?
Old 12th September 2018
  #189
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect1 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread so i hope someone has mentioned this as you can't really have a conversation about drexiya without including this side project of Stinsons arguably one of the finest electro albums of all time

Lifestyles Of The Laptop Cafe by The Other People Place on Spotify


Lifestyles of the Laptop Cafe - Wikipedia
It's my favourite of the 'storm series '
My favourite track of the album

Old 12th September 2018
  #190
Gear Head
 
obsidious's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBed View Post
Guys, as I mentioned I am talking about sound synthesis guidelines rather than gear infos. More or less it is known what kind of engines were used by that underwater duo. But I think it's time to explore further the flooded cave of drexciyian sound synthesis.



So you think it's sampled or something similar. It could be, however which do you think would be the recipe if it was produced via subtractive synthesis?
you mean the female choir sound? it's a female choir sound. not subtractive synthesis.
Old 12th September 2018
  #191
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
It's my favourite of the 'storm series '
My favourite track of the album

I just bought that album recently. Digital download though... even the CD was decently expensive (for an album).
Old 12th September 2018
  #192
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBed View Post
Guys, as I mentioned I am talking about sound synthesis guidelines rather than gear infos. More or less it is known what kind of engines were used by that underwater duo. But I think it's time to explore further the flooded cave of drexciyian sound synthesis.



So you think it's sampled or something similar. It could be, however which do you think would be the recipe if it was produced via subtractive synthesis?
If you're talking about the choir sound? Likely to be a Yamaha module. Not possible with subtractive
Old 12th September 2018
  #193
I did this set of tracks dedicated to James Stinson:

Hydrophobia by Captain Johnson | Free Listening on SoundCloud

All tracks were live takes, as I believe was the favored recording method used by James and Gerald.

There's also a Drex/Der Zechylus mix on my page too from ages ago.........
Old 13th September 2018
  #194
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik80 View Post
If you're talking about the choir sound? Likely to be a Yamaha module. Not possible with subtractive
Yep I am talking about that choir sound. Damn, I wish I could recreate it. Any chance to demystify it and build something as close as that by subtractive?

Any hints about those high-freq pads in several tracks?
Old 13th September 2018
  #195
Gear Head
 
Check Mate's Avatar
 



The strings and "choir" sounds in this track are made by a Kawai K1.
I know they used a K1 and a Roland D-110 as well as Pro-One, Roland Alpha Juno and Korg Monopoly in many early tracks.
I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of sampler involved as well.
Old 13th September 2018
  #196
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardsOfBurnley View Post
Here of some of my favourite James Stinson tracks. He has an astonishing body of work for someone who’s career was so tragically cut so short. So many albums and projects on top of countless Drexciya releases. An incredible talent. I didn’t hear of Drexciya until a few years after he died and I was mortified when I found out and that there’d never be any more. Such a tragedy.

And to round this post up; here’s what i’d call the definition of a Detroit techno BANGER:



Drexciya. My joint favourite music in the world along with Aphex Twin. Can’t decide who I like the most.
Reminds of a harder edged version of Adonis - Too Far Gone for some reason.
Old 13th September 2018
  #197
Gear Maniac
 
konputa's Avatar
 

@ Check Mate , agreed, that is almost certainly a K1.
Old 14th September 2018
  #198
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check Mate View Post


The strings and "choir" sounds in this track are made by a Kawai K1.
I know they used a K1 and a Roland D-110 as well as Pro-One, Roland Alpha Juno and Korg Monopoly in many early tracks.
I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of sampler involved as well.
Nice one fellow wave-jumper, good to know. Any tips on how to reach that sound via FM or subtractive synthesis?

BTW, Neon Falls is my favourite track...
Old 14th September 2018
  #199


The man himself!
Old 14th September 2018
  #200
Gear Head
 
Check Mate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBed View Post
Nice one fellow wave-jumper, good to know. Any tips on how to reach that sound via FM or subtractive synthesis?

BTW, Neon Falls is my favourite track...
I personally think it would be hard to replicate if not impossible to exactly nail the sound with FM or subtractive synthesis. I think a lot of the mojo comes from the mixture of waves in the K1.
I got my K1 for 50€ 2 or 3 years ago and a somebody just gave me his rack version for free. They were really cheap and nobody wanted them. I don't know about todays prices but I think you might be able to get one cheap for under 100€?!

@ pict ure:
He looks just like a very calm and peaceful guy, just like the brilliant music he made! I recon he was somebody you'd like to be friends with.

I'm sorry for shamelessly using this thread to promote my own stuff but this track was unconciuosly inspired by Drexciya as well as a bit of Convextion:

Old 14th September 2018
  #201
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check Mate View Post


The strings and "choir" sounds in this track are made by a Kawai K1.
I know they used a K1 and a Roland D-110 as well as Pro-One, Roland Alpha Juno and Korg Monopoly in many early tracks.
I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of sampler involved as well.
Yeah, I've also heard first hand, from someone that used to collaborate with Gerald, that the Monopoly and Pro-One (the latter especially) were the key synths in their arsenal. As for a sampler - someone described to me seeing a very early Dopplereffekt live set in Detroit, where there would be several awkward minutes between tracks while the sampler loaded the next disk. I think they said it was an Emu Emulator.
Old 14th September 2018
  #202
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by s o l v e n t View Post
As for a sampler - someone described to me seeing a very early Dopplereffekt live set in Detroit, where there would be several awkward minutes between tracks while the sampler loaded the next disk. I think they said it was an Emu Emulator.
for reals? They could have at least filled it with a bit of a drum machine flex out or something surely?!?
Old 14th September 2018
  #203
Gear Maniac
 
manwhocan's Avatar
 

Stinson used a Roland 110 preset for this track:
YouTube

Preset B87 WaterBells from D110. Yes, a crappy rack version of the D50. That should make us think about how gear is used rather than how much you spent on it.

Check the original D110 presets here:

D-110
Old 14th September 2018
  #204
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by konputa View Post
@ Check Mate , agreed, that is almost certainly a K1.
+1.

That choir sound is probably the best choir there is. Lo-fi and sweet.
Old 14th September 2018
  #205
Here for the gear
 
digitizer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
Stinson used a Roland 110 preset for this track:
YouTube

Preset B87 WaterBells from D110. Yes, a crappy rack version of the D50. That should make us think about how gear is used rather than how much you spent on it.

Check the original D110 presets here:

D-110
He also used the D-110 preset B86 "insect" D-110

for this track: YouTube
Old 14th September 2018
  #206
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
Stinson used a Roland 110 preset for this track:
YouTube

Preset B87 WaterBells from D110. Yes, a crappy rack version of the D50. That should make us think about how gear is used rather than how much you spent on it.

Check the original D110 presets here:

D-110
D110 is the rack version of the multitimbral D-10 synth, not the D50. Yes it is crappy but has a long history in US and European techno
Old 17th October 2018
  #207
Here for the gear
 

I'm sure most from the bubble metropolis saw this feature but doesn't hurt to share.

RA: Why Drexciya took Detroit electro underwater
Old 17th October 2018
  #208
Ksp
Lives for gear
 
Ksp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino_ View Post
D110 is the rack version of the multitimbral D-10 synth, not the D50. Yes it is crappy but has a long history in US and European techno
love the d110's tone , like the early jv and d50 but different again , i just hate the edit on it and also it doesnt seem to allow filtering of sample waveform side of a patch ?
Old 17th October 2018
  #209
Ksp
Lives for gear
 
Ksp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
+1.

That choir sound is probably the best choir there is. Lo-fi and sweet.
one of the most underrated synths on the planet for low fi idm detroit ' character ' sounds...moody...
Old 17th October 2018
  #210
Deleted b6e9904
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by softhands View Post
I'm sure most from the bubble metropolis saw this feature but doesn't hurt to share.

RA: Why Drexciya took Detroit electro underwater
I’ve not actually seen that, looking forward to it after work. Thanks!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 110 views: 7952
Avatar for timtoonz
timtoonz 5th June 2009
replies: 2141 views: 200970
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 23rd August 2012
replies: 160 views: 20750
Avatar for Jamie munro
Jamie munro 12th December 2019
replies: 89 views: 7236
Avatar for acreil
acreil 15th December 2017
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump