The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drexciya
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Good thing I have no need for the software Emulator... I have an ESI sampler.. not full on Emulator but not bad... has a filter type that's based on the Emulator 3 filter and some of the Z plane filters so pretty good.
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid8088 View Post
Wow... that is some serious BS.
Yeah, and it's still only opening like every other time. Something else is messing with it too. Flexnet is the worst DRM I've experience.

Last edited by bluegreengold; 26th January 2016 at 05:13 PM..
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

bump
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

I am not really a huge fan of drexciya . It's o.k but not mind blowing
But ...I am a huge fan of everything Gerald Donald did afterwards , such An immense output .
His Der zyklus stuff .biometry Dopllereffekt to the more playfull 'japanese telecom ' synth pop oeuvre absolutely amazing .
All unified in a well thought out concept ..Quantum Mech...Gene engineering ...etc..
Saw dopp.eff.2 years ago..gig....
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Nut

To get that Drex sound I think you need more skill than kit... but then again that's what makes any master great at his craft. It's not the tools but what you can do with them.
Having said that, I do believe the Elektron Monomachine has been referred to by a few people as "Drexciya in a box". I have never played with one but there are a few convincing demos out there.

Now I will probably be hated for stating this, but I feel like 50% of Drexciya tracks are generally garbage (similar to Aphex Twin, although that might be due to the high output by both of them). I never liked the tracks with the weird voice effects or overly distorted sounds. Just sounds kind of cheesy to me.

BUT when they make a good track... it's untouchable.
The half of their output imo consists of masterpieces. There's really no in-between.

For me it personally doesn't get better than Undersea Disturbances:

I can play this one in the club, at my house, in the car, for friends, while I'm washing up, etc. It's one of the handful of tracks out there that just works every time.
Drexciya were so good at mixing rough with lush in a way that doesn't alienate either from the other. Top notch stuff.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

This one is one of my favorite tracks from them:

Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

some more vids:

Old 7th September 2016
Gear Addict

I always find their arrangements really compelling. They are often not much more than a 2 bar loop with elements coming and going plus maybe a 'solo'. Somehow they manage to milk the most from their 2 bar loop and it doesn't get boring. It also helps that their 2 bar loop is a super funky, wonky, soulful nugget of delight.

Anyone into Morphology? I think they took the Drexciya sound to another wonderful place. Such heavy production too.

Old 8th September 2016
I'd like to go on record saying Drexciya (& assoc assoc side projects) made some of my favorite American techno & electro. For those irked by lack of polish, they were largely making very functional dj trax, designed for layering and improvising. I hear plenty of distortion, simple loops, a lot of detuning, weird patches. Just imaginative use of the tools within certain constraints. Their promotion and marketing was (& still is) so mysterious, it was a treat to find their records. The Atlantis connection is icing on the aquatic cake.
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

When I saw this thread come up again I knew I had to record a new electro track. TB-3 (doing something a real 303 could never do, sound bank C and D has some nasty stuff perfect for this type of electro), Volca Beats, Blofeld and my ESI-2000 for some 808 sounds.
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik80 View Post

Anyone into Morphology? I think they took the Drexciya sound to another wonderful place. Such heavy production too.

this rocks
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_spurdo View Post

Now I will probably be hated for stating this, but I feel like 50% of Drexciya tracks are generally garbage (similar to Aphex Twin, although that might be due to the high output by both of them). I never liked the tracks with the weird voice effects or overly distorted sounds. Just sounds kind of cheesy to me.

BUT when they make a good track... it's untouchable.
The half of their output imo consists of masterpieces. There's really no in-between.

I don't think there even are any artists out there that would make amazing music all the time, it's pretty much impossible. People who feel that everything someone has made is top notch are probably fanboys with very little objectivity.
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik80 View Post

I know the 2 guys in Morphology. Nice people, own lots of gear.
Old 24th April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 View Post
^^^love that track.

THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhjXahOphEM

i dropped this as an OPENER track one night, as a follow up to some house dj... the warehouse was packed with with goth/freaks/heads/breakers and most were sitting down, playing on mattresses (yes mattresses) and doing nothing. only a few people were dancing.

i was pretty wasted and pulled this record out, and totally ****ed the previous dj by turning the deck that had his last record off, so his ****ty house track did the dreadful slowwwwww down to a halt.

i dropped this one and it was the only time i saw people absolutely RUSH to the dance floor when i played. i was in shock; i thought i would have run most out of there. but this track over a turbo rig was just insanity. the bit of reverb on the kick made the whole place vibrate. i can't describe how this track comes alive over a turbo rig.

the place just went insane. i think it was my best moment as a dj, not only because people got into it, but because it was a track i REALLY enjoyed too. i'll never forget that moment as it really reinforced the magic of mr stinson and gerald.
Hmm, link doesn't work anymore and I really got curious which track was that
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear
A set my friend Alex Downey put together, played in a swimming pool. https://soundcloud.com/epm-music/epm...81-alex-downey

There is a reason that Drexciya has resonated with so many of us - its quality, timeless music.

My personal favourite, for many reasons mainly of time and place is Andrean Sand Dunes bit its such a massive catalogue of side projects it's impossible to really choose.

Epic stuff.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Cubist View Post
A set my friend Alex Downey put together, played in a swimming pool. https://soundcloud.com/epm-music/epm...81-alex-downey

Epic stuff.
Nice one man

this is the one I love

creative as **** :D simple, funky, abstract, tight. Yes please
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

bit late to the game , but a new dopplereffekt is out .
'Cellular automata'
Pretty F..n awesome
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

Magnificent! Doppler got me into electro in the first place and my affair has never ended!

I need some FM.....
Old 10th May 2018
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
you might be on to somthing..these days it seems dopplereffekt tour exclusively with korg synths (prophecy & triton) so indeed Gerald Donald/Heinrich Mueller might have a longtime affair with korg

ya I played a festival with them in the UK and the ram was acting up on one of the Korgs...so someone had to run and go find a compatible SIMM. one of the artists on the bill ended up driving for 3 hours to get one in the middle of the night.

j

0=0
Old 10th May 2018
0e0
Gear Maniac
the chord stabs in a lot of the early 90s stuff sound like an MKS50/alpha juno. infact most of the filtery things i heard sound tonally like the IR3105 chips.

i would imagine something like a Kawai K1 would have been involved. and some DX synth aswell.

how would you sync up your midi sequencing to your 808 back then? I imagine it's more r8 (which sounds great..)

j

0=0
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Alpha Juno is the Drexciyan poly synth. There's a perfect contradiction of lush and anemic with the Alpha Juno that puts some people off, but perfectly works with techno
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0e0 View Post
how would you sync up your midi sequencing to your 808 back then? I imagine it's more r8 (which sounds great..)
There have been midi to sync boxes since the early 80s my friend - Roland made their own
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentless View Post
this rocks
Seems that this is to related klaus of acidlab .(miami , acidlab bassline )
Think he also runs a label
Morphology - Nucleosynthesis (Vinyl) at Discogs

AC Records - CDs and Vinyl at Discogs
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Magnificent! Doppler got me into electro in the first place and my affair has never ended!

I need some FM.....
really recommend going cheap'n'easy for that in the 1st instance
with a volcaFM (with dexed to program it, but you can do a lot
easily from top panel) - speaking as one who has tx81z/tx802.
it's a little acid-y groovebox approach, or else a porta-soundmodule.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
really recommend going cheap'n'easy for that in the 1st instance
with a volcaFM (with dexed to program it, but you can do a lot
easily from top panel) - speaking as one who has tx81z/tx802.
it's a little acid-y groovebox approach, or else a porta-soundmodule.
I actually got a CZ101 last month (after selling the previous one in the 90s!) so I'm getting back into it - I agree on go cheap!
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidious View Post
Here's an interview I found with James Stinson, recorded a few months before he died. Should hold some interest, he talks about the drexciyan philosophy a bit and generally drops wisdom. R.I.P.
YouTube - Drexciya Interview - 27 mins
I know this is recently revived thread but I still wanted to say thank you for linking that interview. I like his message of just do your thing, love others and the love for you will follow.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Amen!

This thread is 10 years strong.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Back in the 90s, this was the track that 1st turned me on to Drexiciya. 24 years ago. Yeah.

YouTube

Old 13th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
There have been midi to sync boxes since the early 80s my friend - Roland made their own
I suppose it's easy to forget that the TR-909 and TR-707 came with din sync. Roland did a great job of embracing MIDI early on and they made efforts to maintain a level of backwards compatibility as adoption of the new standard took off.
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

I remember back in the day when I'd just got my 909 and was learning how to use it.
Found a website in germany which had loads of information on it and decided to message him on the off chance he could help me source a manual.
Started chatting on ICQ and he introduced me to all this great music.

Seeing this thread and going through all these forgotton gems has been an absolute pleasure thank you!
Here is a couple of my favorites that I'd forgotton so far!

der zyklus - Formenverwandler - YouTube
der zyklus - Elektronisches Zeitechno - YouTube

Drexciya - Black Sea - YouTube
Drexciya - Digital Tsunami - YouTube
📝 Reply