The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Synth for Techno
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

Digital Synth for Techno

Hi everyone.

Looking for some recommendation for a sort of gritty digital synth for pad sounds.

I’ve already got a JD-800 which is great for some things but lacks a certain vibe I’m after.

I’ve posted two track below that have the sort of sound I want. Always loved Nurons synth sounds. I’m thinking maybe a Kawai K1 or SY22. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

i would suggest a wavetable synth. either some older waldorf or the newer argon8/hydra. digitone is also pretty nice. i use one live and it's much easier to program than traditional fm synths and can get very nasty or super smooth with the filters.
Old 20th July 2020
Here for the gear

Cheers for the reply. Didn’t even consider anything Waldorf, will look into it. Digitone looks interesting but a bit out of my budget range at the minute. I’ve seen some 90s Roland rack units that seem quite cheap so I’m considering One of them as well
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

problem with these old rack units is the editing of them. there are third party apps now to do it but you should investigate which ones are supported. you can always try and score a used blofeld. they should go for about 2-300 euros. pretty decent editing on it with an easy to understand matrix and it is very versatile.
Old 22nd July 2020
Here for the gear

On the same page as Sebastian here. Blofeld is a great option and only costs €430 for the desktop version.
Perhaps the Therapkid by Twisted Electronics could be an option? Or the Modal Skulpt? It has a four voices and 8!! oscillators per voice so you can get quite creative here.
Also very nice at a good price point:
Arturia Microfreak (does ambient pads very well)
Behringer Neutron
Waldorf Rocket (you need a sampler though, as I don’t believe it has presets or storage)

Have fun picking!
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the replies on this. I figured out that Stasis used a Kurzweil K2000 on some of his older tunes, so have decided I’m gonna try one out. I know it’s a pain to program but I never go to deep into editing patches when making tunes so it might suit me. I’ll let you know how I get on.
📝 Reply