The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samples and Velocity Sensitivity
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Nut

Samples and Velocity Sensitivity

Hi All!

Just playing some synth samples on a sampler in my daw and what occurred to me is these samples aren't velocity sensitive so a bit sterile after looping for a few mins.

Do velocity sensitive samples exist? it would mean a hell of lot of samples for one preset. How many octaves do samples cover, 8? if so, it would be 127 x 12 x 8 samples per patch. 12, 192 samples or would one octave be sampled and some clever octave shift, dunno lol!

Thanks!
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

You mean velocity layers. Yeah they exist and you can roll your own as well. Normally it’s 3-4 samples for each note, not 127. Also, google “round robin”.
Old 10th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/virtual-instruments/ty12/

They do multisampled synth instruments etc etc.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Head

Pretty sure most samplers have velocity on them. If you are using a velocity sensitive keyboard it should work. May have to look for the correct setting to adjust to lower or raise the sensitivity. Also samples are just recorded at one volume unless using multi sampled instruments. It’s youre sampler settings you need to look at.

Aka Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemind View Post
Hi All!

Just playing some synth samples on a sampler in my daw and what occurred to me is these samples aren't velocity sensitive so a bit sterile after looping for a few mins.

Do velocity sensitive samples exist? it would mean a hell of lot of samples for one preset. How many octaves do samples cover, 8? if so, it would be 127 x 12 x 8 samples per patch. 12, 192 samples or would one octave be sampled and some clever octave shift, dunno lol!

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Head

You could also look into the piano roll and adjust the velocity sliders to your liking.

Aka Bob
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear