The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advise on what to buy to achieve my goals
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Advise on what to buy to achieve my goals

Hi all,

I am new to making music, have little experience, other than playing classical piano.
My goal is to create EDM/hardstyle/bigroom/etc songs without a DAW (nothing pro or live playing, just individual songs for fun). As I understood from other posts, creating the kickdrum is near impossible in this genre, without a DAW, so I've accepted that I'll have to use samples. That's ok for now.

So far I've been toying with a Roland JD-xi and a SP404 sampler. I like the fastness of the JD-xi, but the lack of knobs and sliders forces the use of an editor (which I have), but also entangles me to a computer. I couldn't work with the SP404, so I sold it to create some more budget for the next investment. With this investment, I request for your help and advice.

Although there are similarities with the SP404, I'm almost sure I'll be buying an Akai MPC One (the visuals on screen is just what the sp404 lacked for me).
What I'm not sure about is which additional gear/synth will best help me get the job done (EDM leads, backing strings, noise, baselines, filter sweeps for up and down lifters and so on).

What I've come up with so far:

- Roland SE-02 in combination with Novation 61SL MK3
or
- Roland System-8
or
- ASM Hydrasynth Desktop (second hand) in combination with Arturia Keylab 61 Essential
or
- Access Virus (second hand) in combination with Arturia Keylab 61 Essential

As most people producing this genre use DAWs, there's very little information I could find. The total budget (including MPC One) is 1900 euro's.

Please let me know if you think the MPC One will be the most user friendly central song/production unit, which gear will be a userfriendly buddy to achieve my goals?
Please bare in mind, I've seen pro's producing stunning tracks on a kids-casio keyboard, but that's not me . I need gear to help me, instead of gear that requires a pro to get the best out of it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

i can’t stand the genre, but some guy on one of the facebook groups recently posted some decent hardstyle tracks that he did on the MC-707. sounded “legit” to me, the 707 should offer everything you need for that sound.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

As you already have ascertained, pretty much everyone is making this music with a DAW. By choosing to create EDM with a piano and no DAW you are already so far outside the “box” in terms of modern production, Id just embrace it and get whatever speaks to you sonically. You aren’t going to get a setup that lets you sound like others music so time to carve your own path here.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
As you already have ascertained, pretty much everyone is making this music with a DAW. By choosing to create EDM with a piano and no DAW you are already so far outside the “box” in terms of modern production, Id just embrace it and get whatever speaks to you sonically. You aren’t going to get a setup that lets you sound like others music so time to carve your own path here.
huh? he said that his only real experience is playing piano, not that he'd use that for making EDM.

like i said, the MC-707 alone can do everything he needs (without even resorting to "samples", though you can use those with it too). you can make a sculpted 4-layer kick using a Tone track then resample that internally to use on a Drum track. the only real limit is your imagination.

(i don't think i can link to those facebook videos, and he doesn't have them on youtube.)

i would NOT suggest an MPC for this stuff, though i guess it could work.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Thanks for your reply. Could you point out what features in the mc-707 you think make it stand out against the MPC One (with my goal in mind)?

From reviews only, I would guess the MPC One has proven top class workflow and much more direct access to functions with its responsive touch screen, whereas the mc-707 seems to require quite some menu diving on a small screen. Am I missing something important here? Because actually of all the possible gear, I only knew for sure I needed the MPC One

@ motomotomoto ; You might be right there... I was advised, being new to this, to first try to copy a style, song & sound that I like, just for learning purposes, to then later on adjust to my own specific liking. Would you advise differently? I might not be the genius that's able to achieve that level of satisfaction from the ground up.

Some synths seem to be much more aimed at new wave, new age, world music or the JMJ, Vangelis, Mike Oldfield genre (which I also highly appreciate!). Some monophonic synths seem to have so many oscillators with unison that it sounds massive, while some other polyphonic synths would seem perfectly capable (at least from the specs) but still sound thin. Any advise on what synth(s) would be most suitable for me?

Thank you ever so much.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelou10 View Post
Hi all,

I am new to making music, have little experience, other than playing classical piano.
My goal is to create EDM/hardstyle/bigroom/etc songs without a DAW (nothing pro or live playing, just individual songs for fun). As I understood from other posts, creating the kickdrum is near impossible in this genre, without a DAW, so I've accepted that I'll have to use samples. That's ok for now.

So far I've been toying with a Roland JD-xi and a SP404 sampler. I like the fastness of the JD-xi, but the lack of knobs and sliders forces the use of an editor (which I have), but also entangles me to a computer. I couldn't work with the SP404, so I sold it to create some more budget for the next investment. With this investment, I request for your help and advice.

Although there are similarities with the SP404, I'm almost sure I'll be buying an Akai MPC One (the visuals on screen is just what the sp404 lacked for me).
What I'm not sure about is which additional gear/synth will best help me get the job done (EDM leads, backing strings, noise, baselines, filter sweeps for up and down lifters and so on).

or
- Roland System-8
or
- ASM Hydrasynth Desktop (second hand) in combination with Arturia Keylab 61 Essential
or

As most people producing this genre use DAWs, there's very little information I could find. The total budget (including MPC One) is 1900 euro's.

Please let me know if you think the MPC One will be the most user friendly central song/production unit, which gear will be a userfriendly buddy to achieve my goals?
Please bare in mind, I've seen pro's producing stunning tracks on a kids-casio keyboard, but that's not me . I need gear to help me, instead of gear that requires a pro to get the best out of it.

Thanks in advance.
Honestly man,

That JDXI is pretty awesome. All it lacks is separate out puts.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Honestly man,

That JDXI is pretty awesome. All it lacks is separate out puts.
And some more knobs/faders/switches!

If I only had the skills to make something like this or the nerve to buy it from him, I might not even had felt the need for another 'knoby' synth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxhCViqOPvc

Other than that, magnificent, fully packed machine indeed!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi all,

or
- Roland System-8
or
or

Thanks in advance.
Rent me for the night........I'll make your dreams come true
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Even though I’m from the Netherlands, we’re not all that open minded about everything.
Somehow I interpreted ‘gearslutz’ as suckers for gear, really had no idea that such ‘trading’ took place here...

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Even though I’m from the Netherlands, we’re not all that open minded about everything.
Somehow I interpreted ‘gearslutz’ as suckers for gear, really had no idea that such ‘trading’ took place here...

If he meant AUDIO dreams, it’s just a production offer.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
huh? he said that his only real experience is playing piano, not that he'd use that for making EDM.

like i said, the MC-707 alone can do everything he needs (without even resorting to "samples", though you can use those with it too). you can make a sculpted 4-layer kick using a Tone track then resample that internally to use on a Drum track. the only real limit is your imagination.

(i don't think i can link to those facebook videos, and he doesn't have them on youtube.)

OK please ignore my previous comment, it was late and I misread his original post

I have a few friends who have taken this approach and are using with various degrees of success:

Elektron Digikat (they make other stuff that's cool too)

Synthstrom Deluge

Novation Circuit (surprisingly cool for how cheap it is)

MPC Live (I agree that I would not suggest an MPC for this purpose, but I have heard great stuff made on only an MPC)

Can't speak to the 707, don't know anyone using it.

Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Oh my goodness, my sincere apologies. Never would’ve connected ‘rent’ ‘night’ and ‘dreams’ to an audio producing experience.

@ Bushman Thank you for pointing out my terrible mistake.

@ motomotomoto Thanks for the tips. I’ve checked the gear, novation circuit does look promissing. Do need to find something to add ‘keys’ to the setup.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear