The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have downsized, what's next?
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Addict

I have downsized, what's next?

Hey guys

So this is it... fatherhood has hit me hard, twice. What used to be my music room is now filled with a cot and a crying toddler.

I'm slowly selling gear that has been gathering dust. I am sure some of you know the feeling. I have however kept some hope and some gear.
Here's what I have left : Bass (Treble) Station 1, BassBot TT303 and a MAM MB33 retro (Yes, I love acid!) oh, and a Nord Lead 2 (yes from 1998 that's gonna be hard to sell as I have had it for so long, it's become like a family member!).

Here's the kicker, I have Reason but not really room for my computer setup so I'm thinking of getting some sort of hardware sample/drum/sequencer setup to keep me busy until I regain my life (will I ever??).

I know the obvious answer would be an MPC but the price is just not right and I'm not sure I would get along with the old models.

I am looking at the Novation Circuit, would it fit the bill? any other alternative?
For info, this is a hobby, I'm far too busy to produce anything seriously.

I'm aware I will need a mixer at some point to truly relive my days of hardware only setup.

Last edited by fantomaxis; 18th June 2020 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling obviosuly
Old 18th June 2020
Here for the gear
If space is the issue then I’d say get a laptop. That will take up the same space as a sequencer and do so much more besides and give you the option to work ITB wherever you want
Old 18th June 2020
Here for the gear

I feel your pain! I have 2 girls age 5 and 2. I was in a similar position not so long ago but as time has passed it's gotten easier and I have time for music again, even if it's just a couple of hours in the evening so don't lose hope.

I would also say invest in a laptop. Were it not for my ancient MacBook there would have been no chance!
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Addict

Yes I know... i have a laptop with Reason installed. I'm just being greedy. What I need is an au-pair or 24h day care service!
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomaxis View Post
Hey guys

So this is it... fatherhood has hit me hard, twice. What used to be my music room is now filled with a cot and a crying toddler.

I'm slowly selling gear that has been gathering dust. I am sure some of you know the feeling. I have however kept some hope and some gear.
Here's what I have left : Bass (Treble) Station 1, BassBot TT303 and a MAM MB33 retro (Yes, I love acid!) oh, and a Nord Lead 2 (yes from 1998 that's gonna be hard to sell as I have had it for so long, it's become like a family member!).

Here's the kicker, I have Reason but not really room for my computer setup so I'm thinking of getting some sort of hardware sample/drum/sequencer setup to keep me busy until I regain my life (will I ever??).

I know the obvious answer would be an MPC but the price is just not right and I'm not sure I would get along with the old models.

I am looking at the Novation Circuit, would it fit the bill? any other alternative?
For info, this is a hobby, I'm far too busy to produce anything seriously.

I'm aware I will need a mixer at some point to truly relive my days of hardware only setup.
The circuit is perfect to sit down an knock stuff up on. It can become limited but here is the thing: I love the sequencer on it. Although I got a MPC1000 I still use the sequencer to program sequences (For my MAM for example). The sequencer is sooo quick and easy I write a sequence on the circuit playing my MAM through the MPC then record the midi information into the MPC then leave that sequencing the MAM. I also love the real time control on my circuit, I tend to have it playing alongside the MPC in JAMS and performances.

For your purposes and time constraints the Circuit will be perfect. You can do more than you expect with it and wouldn't become redundant if you did expand later. Also for a Father with limited time it is perfect to pick up then set down again 1/2 hour later.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

MC-101? A little more expensive than the Circuit, but offers a lot more.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You could consider a Roland SP-404A. Is more affordable than MPC, will let you drum away, create sequences, create loops and allows for some fun fx and dj-style performances.

I’ve heard that the SP-404SX has exactly the same functionalities but would be cheaper, arround €260 to €300.

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want an excellent choice of sampler, there's the Korg microSAMPLER. You can write tracks using it alone (and a laptop):

Note that it is heavily reliant on a computer to feed it samples, so there's that. On the plus side you can hum or beatbox into the mic and then use the onboard sequencer to turn said humming and beatboxing into a track.
Old 3 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Elektron. You could just get a model:samples for £300, Digitakt for £650. While they don't have the fx os stuff like the SP404 they have probably the best sequencers out there, plus you can play live over the top
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear