The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electro/Techno production help
Old 15th June 2020
Here for the gear

Electro/Techno production help

Hello people

First I want to thank the community I have been spending some time on gearslutz and I am very grateful for the information and discussions on this forum.
I am self-taught in production for about 4 years and im still complete amateur.I do everything ITB, I went through different genres of electronic music, but somehow I always stick to the underground sound.

To get to the point, I'm interested is it possible to capture this sound all ITB,which processing chains are used especially for drums and what you need to pay attention to when making a mixdown of Electro \ Techno music.

Here are a few examples so if anyone is willing to comment a bit.
Thanks in advance!

Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RytMan View Post
Hello people

First I want to thank the community I have been spending some time on gearslutz and I am very grateful for the information and discussions on this forum.
I am self-taught in production for about 4 years and im still complete amateur.I do everything ITB, I went through different genres of electronic music, but somehow I always stick to the underground sound.

To get to the point, I'm interested is it possible to capture this sound all ITB,which processing chains are used especially for drums and what you need to pay attention to when making a mixdown of Electro \ Techno music.

Here are a few examples so if anyone is willing to comment a bit.
Thanks in advance!

A bit of a vague question, how much knowledge do you have a how good are your productions?

What I can say is learn and experiment with compressors. They are a subject with infinite depth: experiment and use your ears.

Those tracks definitely pop on the drums side. I suspect each drum track is compressed separately then on the drum bus channel. I am also fairly sure other tracks within the tunes have sidechain compression on them also.

Sorry to be vague, I am definitely not an expert but I know my compression use and therefore track heft has improved over the years. Hopefully others can add more to this
Old 18th June 2020
Here for the gear
To my untrained ears it sounds like there’s a lot of distortion/saturation and reverb being used.

If you’re working ITB it’s all about the plugins! Experiment and use trial and error, spend hours messing around with what you’ve got.

If you think you need more Computer Music magazine give away loads of really useful plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Also think that a dirty overdriven mixer on the drums gets you halfway there. Add a 101, 303 and some 90s fx like alesis midiverb and/or dp4 and you get a pretty decent picture of what's going on imho.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear