The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
90s Euro bassline/drum techniques in FL studio
Old 11th June 2020
Here for the gear

90s Euro bassline/drum techniques in FL studio

Hi guys

Id like to know how to achieve the euro dance drum/bass technique to make the "horse throttling" ( sorry i don't know how its call ) that we heard on countless Eurodance songs of the 90's . I'm working in FL studio but i would also like to know what drum machine/bass synth were use back in the day to make it .

im trying to find the right pattern and right sound to use but i cant find it . im pretty sure the kick is a fade kick like a 808 kick , not something too punchy but how to write the bassline/sequence , im lost .

here at 2 samples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4dckYKWm3c start right a the begining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebI5PF7qpc start at 0:18

Any pointer would help . Thank you .
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

* use a 909 kick drum with resonance
* your demo songs were following a chord progression so if you haven't already get some basic music theory under your belt and it will all make sense
* and synth really can make those bass sounds. short attack, short decay
* youtube fl studio videos on sidechaining the kick and bass (ducking). Plenty of videos on this. This gets that pumping feeling of the song
* have a good monitoring environment so you can hear everything clearly
Old 12th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Those patterns are played (programmed) on sixteenths. I would either use an arpeggiator or program a midi sequence on sixteenths, playing all the steps (or skipping the first every four, leaving more room for the kick). Maybe put the accent on 3, 7, 11 and 15) by using velocity (so every other step plays softer... or maybe keep it at full velocity also on 4, 8, 12 and 16... you can do it easily if you write the notes on a piano roll...). You can also use velocity to open the filter a little more (instead of affecting the volume).
Apply a tiny bit of swing to your programming, too (otherwise it’s too rigid).
If you use an arpeggiator, play on 1/16th and use a square lfo synced to 1/8th (and maybe retrig on key press, too) affecting a bit the cutoff...

These are just a few ideas, I was too young at the time, but I started working with sequencers in 2000-2001 (Music for Playstation, then Cubasis VST on pc) when I was 14-15 years old and I would often write those kind of patterns in my crappy experiments at the time... I had no access to compressors with sidechain at the time, so I used and abused what midi offered (velocity in particular) and then arpeggiators (when I started using Synth1).
I prefer midi to arpeggiators because they don’t always offer swing...

Also, as suggested, follow the chord progression of the song. Don’t do anything too fancy (well... do it when you’re confident about the basics and you feel it’s appropriate to deviate from the basic templates), keep the same note for a bar (every four kicks) and then change (if the chord changes). You can play the notes of the pattern on different octaves (for example you can play one octave lower on 1, 5, 9 and 13), but always keep the same note. Using the root note of the chord is also a good starting point.

Just my 2 cents... Not necessarily the best way to do it (maybe even wrong?), but that’s how I did those kind of lines as a teenager for a few years since 2000-2001.
Old 8th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

The bassline is just an eighth note on the off beat.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear