The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How keep treble, air and presence in low fi / saturated tracks?
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

How keep treble, air and presence in low fi / saturated tracks?

Heya,

This is something I've be struggling with for a while -

I can make saturated / lowfi house beats and they vibe and bounce - but because of all the saturation and filtering, etc they sound super dull and flat against 'pro' tracks. I understand I'm comparing too mastered tracks but the different really is massive.

Whats the trick to keeping the high end energy there, whilst still sounding old school/low fi/saturated etc?

This track is a good example. Super saturated kick drum, detuned high hats, overly saturated sound, yet the mix is energetic and not dulled at all.

Any help, really appreciated!

Cheers
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear
Good samples first off. The stuff thats been run through a lot of good processing already like Samples from Mars.

Distortion adds high end energy. I always bitcrush a little and distort too. I see how far I can push it and then pull back. I then saturate with tape plugins. You can really reshape a kick with the right tape processing. I do it again, but lighter on the drum buss.

Also, this track has a very minimal mix so its very easy to get the drums sounding good in it. The sparser the mix, the bigger you can make each part.
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply - seems I need to revist my distortion application. I'm working on a track and all the individual elements sound right but together the mix becomes dull and soft - needs that sparkle and 'slap' you get from a proper tight mix.

Much to learn, thanks!
Old 18th June 2020
Here for the gear
Run your drum samples through different channels and/or busses and use shelf and band eq to split out your frequencies.

Heavily process some channels, bus them all together with some light processing to glue them together at the end.

And use side chain compression of course
Old 18th June 2020
Lives for gear

Keep one clean copy (a non Lofi version of, say, the vocal or drum loop) in your session to mix in to taste... parallel processing...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear