The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help to understand
Old 19th April 2020
Here for the gear

help to understand

hello everyone,
I work on ableton and I use some hardware ... I would like to ask and understand... I have seen several times photos or videos of producer's studio that have mixers and still use software like ableton or cubase or similar .. here I would like to know why use an external mixer when you then recording (and probably mixing) on daw?
I don't understand if they mix on daw or external...
In my case I use a card with 8 in/out, card goes directly to daw and i record and mix in ableton... I am very intrigued by analog mixers, how could I use a mixer and what utility could it have?
thx
Old 21st April 2020
IEC
Gear Nut

they are handy devices having a hands on "nerve centre" for your studio is very useful

I use mine to adjust the volume and cut elements while recording, and mix in DAW after recording. the mixer creates the broad structure though faster and more fun than cut n paste for me
Old 21st April 2020
Here for the gear

"hey are handy devices having a hands on "nerve centre" for your studio is very useful"

Sure!!!

thank you for reply,

in what way you cut elements while recording with mixer?

Now I recording directly in Daw and with the mixer my fear was losing quality by adding a gear (mixer) before DAW...
I have a mixer that I used for live, makie 1604 vlzpro. Is it good enough for this?
Old 21st April 2020
Lives for gear

You definitely don’t want to lose quality. Sacrifice everything else, especially character, in favor of pristine quality.
Old 21st April 2020
Here for the gear

NawSon... never I said that.
but I don't want a mixer usually used for live (1604 vlx pro) to flatten my sound, I could have the opposite effect ... have a sound with character and lose it completely
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear