The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aphex Twin Drums
Old 23rd February 2020
Here for the gear

Aphex Twin Drums

Might have already been asked, but all I could find on here were questions about EQUIPMENT used to create Aphex or Squarepusher type drums. My question is, what is the best way to internalize these types of incredibly complicated rhythms with continuous variation and a lack of obvious repetition? I'm talking specifically about the Drukqs album. It's something I'd like to emulate (not shamelessly but for learning). I'm sure there's a chance that Aphex created scripts to generate his rhythms, but I haven't heard of him doing so and instinct tells me that everything is intentional and the result of hours of hard work and raw intelligence and creativity. I'm pretty new to this type of music so I didn't have the benefit of growing up and absorbing it through osmosis. Are there any patterns these types of artists follow in terms of structure or is the structure just continuous free variation?
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist202 View Post
Might have already been asked, but all I could find on here were questions about EQUIPMENT used to create Aphex or Squarepusher type drums. My question is, what is the best way to internalize these types of incredibly complicated rhythms with continuous variation and a lack of obvious repetition? I'm talking specifically about the Drukqs album. It's something I'd like to emulate (not shamelessly but for learning). I'm sure there's a chance that Aphex created scripts to generate his rhythms, but I haven't heard of him doing so and instinct tells me that everything is intentional and the result of hours of hard work and raw intelligence and creativity. I'm pretty new to this type of music so I didn't have the benefit of growing up and absorbing it through osmosis. Are there any patterns these types of artists follow in terms of structure or is the structure just continuous free variation?
A Tracker and an active imagination for rhythms=Drukqs
Old 4th March 2020
Lives for gear

Have you tried scripting beats in Renoise?
Old 27th April 2020
Here for the gear
ReCycle.
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Nut

Try slicing up a drum loop in a sampler and then triggering it with one, or two instances of an arpegiator.

Or perhaps use a euclidean sequencer to trigger drum hits, These techniques will get you close to Aphex Twin ish sounding..
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

If you seek to internalize, you will have to study.
Try finding a super audio cd or very high bit rate version of the album, and downscale playing speed to a quarter or so.
If you have listened to a song a couple of times, try to identify the 8 to 10 different rhythm sounds that are used in the drum section.
Then, start writing them down, in the right ieder its the right length of pauses in between.
In doing so, you will notice that in fact there is recognizable repetition. At times, the drum section indeed are very loosely connected to the rhythm, but only when the rhythm has been put in your mood beforehand.
It takes a lot of time, but to understand what is happening, you need devotion to break it down to bits and pieces. Good luck!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear