The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
was this sub-forum really necessary, or at all a good idea?
Old 18th January 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
was this sub-forum really necessary, or at all a good idea?

this place is a dead zone, previous conversations have stagnated and there's barely any new topics (not to mention how many "dancefloor" threads are still hanging around the main EMI/EMP forums).

i know it was getting a bit crowded in there, but i think shifting all the Behringer, Sonic Bern (what a waste), and pure speculation (the worst) threads would have been better off sent to their own private hell to die.


i'm having a hard time seeing this as a good thing. i don't get it.
Old 18th January 2020
  #2
Here for the gear
 

As I look at the last time people have posted... few hours ago, 20 hours ago a day ago. Quite recent to me, I posted in a thread a day ago.
Old 18th January 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Infidel's Avatar
EMI/EMP can best be summed up like this.

Old 19th January 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
NawSon's Avatar
 

I thought at first this would be a good thing and would perhaps create more specific discussion about making dance music (as opposed to the main forum’s obsession with just owning as many synths as possible to no other end).

But what has in fact happened is this is now a ghettoized subforum.
Old 20th January 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Bignatius's Avatar
I think it (unfortunately) reflects the fact that most simply aren't here on GS to discuss such things.

I think it's also true that those who are both very experienced and want to share such techniques is a small group.

Plus the "noise floor" in the main forum is off the charts, which is why I prefer this and the Modular subfora.

ymmv
Old 20th January 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
NawSon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I think it (unfortunately) reflects the fact that most simply aren't here on GS to discuss such things.
I mean I always knew most ppl here are just here to show off shiny toys. But also it’s the forum with the best actual people out there doing music with any equipment you might have questions on. I guess I just thought that having this dedicated section might help increase the good stuff.

Quote:
I think it's also true that those who are both very experienced and want to share such techniques is a small group.

Plus the "noise floor" in the main forum is off the charts, which is why I prefer this and the Modular subfora.

ymmv
Less noise is great but we also have way less signal.

I guess it’s just frustrating to me that there are zero forums out there for producing underground house, techno, and other dance music, especially doing so with hardware equipment. I don’t really get why there aren’t any, but that’s where we are. Most things I see out there are just so DAW/computer oriented, and I know I’m in the minority by not using these things but even then I know there are more than a handful of us out here.

Forums are one of the best things the internet has ever made, and they’re wildly underutilized in general now. Social media has not been an adequate substitute.
Old 22nd January 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
... it’s just frustrating to me that there are zero forums out there for producing underground house, techno, and other dance music, especially doing so with hardware equipment. I don’t really get why there aren’t any, but that’s where we are. Most things I see out there are just so DAW/computer oriented, and I know I’m in the minority by not using these things but even then I know there are more than a handful of us out here. ...
well, there's the 'Subsekt Techno' forum, but (while there is a load of good past discussions and info) it's pretty much a bunch of newbs led by some twat that thinks he's god (along with a few other guys who are pretty cool). from what i can see, most of them have been using stock Ableton synths/fx and not much else. that, and they pretty much all just make and listen to that boring modern "locomotive/cavern" techno, pretty much zero funk/groove. it all sounds the same.

i just got banned from there recently, basically for telling them to see Gearslutz if they want any real info on what's going on in the synth/fx world. most of them don't even know this place exists and rely on info from one guy. honestly, he's got a pretty good track record and (seemingly) a lot of experience in certain areas, but it's a pretty weird "late-30s Germany" sort of scene over there. too bad really, it could be so much more with the right people. f**k 'em.

as far as i can see, the Muffwiggler forum is the only other place worthwhile.

Quote:
... Forums are one of the best things the internet has ever made, and they’re wildly underutilized in general now. Social media has not been an adequate substitute.
absolutely.

also unfortunate is how much forum content (discussion, information, pics, etc) has been lost over the years for one reason or another. i guess that's no worse than centuries past though, which is just sickening to even think about. from what i've seen of social media discussion, it's pretty much all newbs with no clue.
Old 22nd January 2020
  #8
Gear Addict
 
denstrow's Avatar
I don't mind - I find some old threads I like more easily now. But it needs some new threads, sure.
Old 22nd January 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
NawSon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
well, there's the 'Subsekt Techno' forum, but (while there is a load of good past discussions and info) it's pretty much a bunch of newbs led by some twat that thinks he's god (along with a few other guys who are pretty cool). from what i can see, most of them have been using stock Ableton synths/fx and not much else. that, and they pretty much all just make and listen to that boring modern "locomotive/cavern" techno, pretty much zero funk/groove. it all sounds the same.

i just got banned from there recently, basically for telling them to see Gearslutz if they want any real info on what's going on in the synth/fx world. most of them don't even know this place exists and rely on info from one guy. honestly, he's got a pretty good track record and (seemingly) a lot of experience in certain areas, but it's a pretty weird "late-30s Germany" sort of scene over there. too bad really, it could be so much more with the right people. f**k 'em.

as far as i can see, the Muffwiggler forum is the only other place worthwhile.
Yeah I poked my head in there once or twice. The cult of personality around that guy is very very weird to me.


Quote:
absolutely.

also unfortunate is how much forum content (discussion, information, pics, etc) has been lost over the years for one reason or another. i guess that's no worse than centuries past though, which is just sickening to even think about. from what i've seen of social media discussion, it's pretty much all newbs with no clue.
I definitely get that some ppl don’t want to reveal all their secrets etc, but I feel like if there were better forums with good participation, there would be more non-nOObs adding to the conversation.
Old 22nd January 2020
  #10
Here for the gear
 
Stiz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I think it (unfortunately) reflects the fact that most simply aren't here on GS to discuss such things.
I agree. I spend less and less time reading on EMI/EMP, because most of the people here aren't musicians at all and mainly debate on absolutely uninteresting things.

I don't care what played out sounds Behringer replicates next. I don't have the slightest idea, why people go crazy about another x0x clone. These sounds are available and present on every dance records since the 80s!

And i really don't want to be rude, but there are a lot of people around here who comment a lot and discuss VCOs, DCOs, filters, ADDA etc. etc... and then you get the rare opportunity to listen something they produced and think: "holy cow! that sounds like something a kid made on his first attempt with FL studio!"
Then at the latest i can't take the opinion of this person seriously anymore and have to use/listen to a certain device myself so i can decide whether it enhances my music or not.

I know reading/writing on forums is easier than creating music. I'm doing it right now, because I'm a lazy fool. But I guess the more skilled people usually don't waste their time here, when they could make music.
Old 25th January 2020
  #11
Sometimes, it is akin to us over here talking The Chi-Lites or whatev and the young listening to Ice-T or Too Short. We talkin about nuance and s-ht and they talkin shootin up their family.
The techno/club scene of recent, when I peeked my head in for a minute has gone full on Brutalism.
It's dark man, like Robo trip/Mandy type stuff. It's all conceptual, not artistic, red and black satanic, basically a heavy metal concert but with laptops.
They don't care about techno history or pioneers, or production...IDK, maybe it's a phase, like Rock and Roll spawned punk, reactionary. Masks and lasers and skulls- if you ain't got masks, they can only assume you are an actual "person", you know, with a conscience- and you probably suck.
They WILL talk heavy mix compression and sidechain on the master tho.
Old 26th January 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

I think its a good idea. It's the first time i've interacted on the EMI/EMP forums, yet I been releasing techno since the 2000s.

This section suits me because i'm not a synth freak.

To be honest I'm more into production/engineering/mixing, than drooling over synths that I cant afford. I do enough of that with outboard processors!

Last edited by rhythmtech; 27th January 2020 at 04:44 PM..
Old 29th January 2020
  #13
Yeah it's not super crowded, this forum. Is that needed? In the main forum these threads would simply drown.
And slowly, more people will learn about this and it will become bigger. You'll see.

Some things took my time the past two months, but I'll post here myself a bit more.
And some plans to do fun stuff.
Old 2nd February 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yeah it's not super crowded, this forum. Is that needed? In the main forum these threads would simply drown.
And slowly, more people will learn about this and it will become bigger. You'll see.

Some things took my time the past two months, but I'll post here myself a bit more.
And some plans to do fun stuff.
I agree. I think it’s nice to have subforums where threads can just breathe a bit.
Old 6th February 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Benjaymun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yeah it's not super crowded, this forum. Is that needed? In the main forum these threads would simply drown.
And slowly, more people will learn about this and it will become bigger. You'll see.

Some things took my time the past two months, but I'll post here myself a bit more.
And some plans to do fun stuff.
I just like your avatar Reptil. Brings a new meaning to the word "munted".
Old 6th February 2020
  #16
WDM
Lives for gear
 
WDM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yeah it's not super crowded, this forum. Is that needed? In the main forum these threads would simply drown.
And slowly, more people will learn about this and it will become bigger. You'll see.

Some things took my time the past two months, but I'll post here myself a bit more.
And some plans to do fun stuff.
Can it be renamed to Electronic Music Production instead of a Dance floor only? Because it's kind of misleading IMHO.

Another problem is a visibility. People got used (including myself) to the main level and don't give a chance reading all subforums, because it could be a time consuming process.

Ideally I'd like more to have this forum on the main level so everyone will clearly see that there are 2:
- Electronic Music Production,
- Electronic Music Instruments.

Electronic Music Production

It doens't mean that Electronic Music Production should be only about music and no gear. But the gear mostly for producer's stuff like compressors, mixers, speakers, mics, patch bays, preamps, Effects, multitrack recording devices, etc... even guitar pedals which are not Electronic Music Instruments at all, but very essential tools for producing and recording purposes.

The sub forums for production could be:
- Post your music here,
- Label related stuff


Electronic Music Instruments

The synthesizers, keyboards, groove boxes, modular stuff, samplers, etc... are the Music Instruments and definitely deserve a separate forum.

I would also include there sub forums like:
- Electronic Instruments Moan Zone... where people can post their DEALBRAKERS and stuff like... "What should I buy next...", "Should I sell this or keep..", "Suggest me the best setup ever..."
- Electronic Instruments Industry Offers... where people can share their experience with Industry leaders, share the news ... etc

What do you guys think about it?
Old 11th February 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
I mean I always knew most ppl here are just here to show off shiny toys. But also it’s the forum with the best actual people out there doing music with any equipment you might have questions on. I guess I just thought that having this dedicated section might help increase the good stuff.



Less noise is great but we also have way less signal.

I guess it’s just frustrating to me that there are zero forums out there for producing underground house, techno, and other dance music, especially doing so with hardware equipment. I don’t really get why there aren’t any, but that’s where we are. Most things I see out there are just so DAW/computer oriented, and I know I’m in the minority by not using these things but even then I know there are more than a handful of us out here.

Forums are one of the best things the internet has ever made, and they’re wildly underutilized in general now. Social media has not been an adequate substitute.
Theres some underground chats on discord that are worth looking for. I find them more production focused than here, which is very refreshing. Also instagram and souncloud are where ive had some good discussion related to underground house. Its via DM but far more productive.
Old 11th February 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
NawSon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Theres some underground chats on discord that are worth looking for. I find them more production focused than here, which is very refreshing. Also instagram and souncloud are where ive had some good discussion related to underground house. Its via DM but far more productive.
Yeah I have my ppl on social media that I holler at via DM all the time. I didn’t even know what discord was so lol. Reddit has some production focused areas but also they’re not great.
Old 19th February 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
 

I think this subforum is a good idea - as pointed out before there is no real 'epicenter' of underground production right now.

Dubstep forum used to be great back in the day.

Subsekt has a tonne of good resources which can be applied to a lot of things, but overall the discourse is related to techno, though I've had some success in more house-leaning quesetions. A few people post there who have done notable things within techno and/or have had actual releases on vinyl etc. (They actually are 'doing' music, is my point - vs just collecting synths.)

Reddit has a few handy places, but again - suffers from the same issue most production forums do. People comment who don't really have a clue what they're talking about - blind leading the blind.

I hadn't considered looking at Discord - I'm excited there are communities on Discord. If someone fancies PM'ing me the places to hang out there I'd be very interested to get involved.

I've had a lot of success just asking producers/DJs on Insta/Twitter/etc. As long as you approach with a specific question most are happy to answer. If you come with a generic 'how do I make that sound" you'll probably get ignored - but ask how they achieved a certain transient or reverb etc I've gotten good results.

I'd love to see this place grow - i've learnt a fair bit from GS over the years. Especially around music theory etc. But, as above, it could suffer from the same fate - blind leading the blind. Those who are successful with music tend to shy away from posting their secrets. Dance music has always been that way - from scratching off the labels on dubs so other DJs cant find the track, to refusing to answer how kick drums are made. Always been the case, always will.

Trade secrets.
Old 19th February 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
Yeah I honestly like this little sub because a lot of the gear focused guys who don't make tracks won't come here.
Old 3rd March 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Yeah I honestly like this little sub because a lot of the gear focused guys who don't make tracks won't come here.
Yes! This is my desire. Traffic is lower but i feel my patience will be infinitely rewarded.
Old 4th March 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
I don't think this sub forum is a good idea- would much rather such topics are simply posted in the main forum as before.

Many 'dancefloor production' posts in the main forum received many contributions - so it's not really true that posts 'drown' there, although some of course do, as with posts on any topic. My experience is that many contributions came from people who didn't necessarily make dance music and therefore wont come here but had relevant knowledge and enjoyed contributing.e.g. an industrial producer knows about drum production,a classical player about chord progression, anyone about how to create a sound.

Come on admins..
Old 6th March 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omsk View Post
Many 'dancefloor production' posts in the main forum received many contributions - so it's not really true that posts 'drown' there
They *did*, but that was more the past. New threads get displaced quickly by the GASfests.

There’s so much being released every year that i wish i could filter those out.
Old 9th March 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

I don't care about the gear threads really, I always wished GS had a separate production technique subforum for electronic music. The fact that this isn't super popular just tells about the GS userbase, not many care about actually making music, just playing about with their shiny new toys.
Old 11th March 2020
  #25
IEC
Gear Nut
 
IEC's Avatar
 

I rate the new section, the endless gas gets a bit old over in that other bit. also thinking electronic music means anything that literally involves the use of electricity at some point
Old 11th March 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Sapro's Avatar
I have started visiting here regularly. Hopefully others will too.
Old 11th March 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
 

in case of acute symptoms, you're requested to self-isolate - so yes: this sub-forum is necessary or else you put mainly older folks' health at risk!

...or what was the topic of this thread again?

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 11th March 2020 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11th March 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
in case of acute symptoms, you're requested to self-isolate - so yes: this sub-forum is necessary or else you put mainly older folk's health at risk!

...or what was the topic of this thread again?
It’s about how GAS gives one brainworms :D
Old 13th March 2020
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
arkos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
well, there's the 'Subsekt Techno' forum, but (while there is a load of good past discussions and info) it's pretty much a bunch of newbs led by some twat that thinks he's god (along with a few other guys who are pretty cool).
Hahahaha!!!! This is so true would be a great place if it wasn't for that scumbag

Oh and maybe this forum isn't used so much cause it's hard to find ? Most members might not know it exisits ?
Old 13th March 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkos View Post
... maybe this forum isn't used so much cause it's hard to find ? Most members might not know it exisits ?
yep. it's only a click away, but i never even think of looking in here.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2942 views: 366807
Avatar for kikendo
kikendo 1 day ago
replies: 185 views: 16166
Avatar for wedok
wedok 9th March 2017
replies: 5930 views: 473857
Avatar for jbuonacc
jbuonacc 1 day ago
replies: 590 views: 45453
Avatar for Stripeyjoe
Stripeyjoe 15th June 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump