The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
was this sub-forum really necessary, or at all a good idea?
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

I'd love it if this was a wider production/technique/composition forum rather than just "dancefloor".. seems narrow yet other stuff isn't covered?
Old 14th April 2020
IEC
Gear Nut

I feel like given that gear was sort of the cornerstone of dancefloor oriented music that it deserves it own section? One of the issues I have with GS is everyone throws out an opinion on a bit of gear but you dont really know if they are making acoustic folk or gabber and thats kind of important when pursuing recommendations...

Also its nice to have a section where the threads dont seem to devolve into "bach was the best thing ever and everything else is just crap"
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
One of the issues I have with GS is everyone throws out an opinion on a bit of gear but you dont really know if they are making acoustic folk or gabber and thats kind of important when pursuing recommendations...
As much a problem of the Internet in general as it is GS, but I agree. It's a big pain in the ass, telling the difference between a spoiled kid with no real experience, a person with skills and knowledge but entirely opposite tastes, a person who knows the lingo and owned a drum machine once and dreams of it again, someone taking the piss, and any other combination.

I've been basically forced to assume that everyone is full of it or has ulterior motives, and only do I trust folks opinions over time, slowly, which is inefficient and tedious, but what can ya do...
Old 5th May 2020
It's a "learning process".
Old 5th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
I'd love it if this was a wider production/technique/composition forum rather than just "dancefloor".. seems narrow yet other stuff isn't covered?

< It is, in the main forum. I don't see anything "left out". Since it's specific yet universal, this music, to dance to, created, using electronic instruments, it is fundamentally different in it's goal, from any other out there. That sounds definitive, of course there's a grey area. I'm sure some people can dance to anything. I just noticed a sharp divide, in the mindset of different people, approaching the subject, which resulted in some confusion when it was discussed in the main forum. >
Old 5th May 2020
Quote:
I feel like given that gear was sort of the cornerstone of dancefloor oriented music that it deserves it own section? One of the issues I have with GS is everyone throws out an opinion on a bit of gear but you dont really know if they are making acoustic folk or gabber and thats kind of important when pursuing recommendations...
< Yes. About general gear announcements and discussions: I wrote this, let me expound on that a bit? I think it's better to keep general posts about any instrument in the main forum, especially since it's up to the musician, how to use any instrument and what for. The TB-303 was designed as a tool to help bands practice without a bass player, apparantly. What you can do, is make a post such with the title "OB-6 arpeggios for techno". Which would be right at home, in this subforum. >

Quote:
Also its nice to have a section where the threads dont seem to devolve into "bach was the best thing ever and everything else is just crap"
< I'd word it as an inclusive message, instead of defining what it is not about, but yeah, that's the point >
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

< It is, in the main forum. I don't see anything "left out". Since it's specific yet universal, this music, to dance to, created, using electronic instruments, it is fundamentally different in it's goal, from any other out there. That sounds definitive, of course there's a grey area. I'm sure some people can dance to anything. I just noticed a sharp divide, in the mindset of different people, approaching the subject, which resulted in some confusion when it was discussed in the main forum. >
That's cool, sorry if I sounded offish.

I would say compositional topics get drowned out in product noise in the main forum, which would be fine were there a way to tag/filter or something.. personally I find it hard to cut through that noise.
Old 7th May 2020
Quote:
That's cool, sorry if I sounded offish.
<np just want to show that we did give it some thought.>
Quote:
I would say compositional topics get drowned out in product noise in the main forum, which would be fine were there a way to tag/filter or something.. personally I find it hard to cut through that noise.
<yes, agree on both counts. we introduced a system of tagging threads, with the purpose of easily organizing a view in the main forum. it's not exactly functioning as I imagined it. we also have a subforum for composing music. but a totally different crowd than this one is using that. >
Old 7th May 2020
Gear Addict

For me this subforum made reading the topics i'm interested in more complicated. I wish it would be all in one forum again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

I just discovered this sub forum the other day after Reptil mentioned it lol. I think keeping it is best!
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
I just discovered this sub forum the other day after Reptil mentioned it lol. I think keeping it is best!
I do too. It keeps things self contained and more posts are appearing so I think people are finding it.
Old 15th May 2020
Gear Head

Lurker, new poster - I have been crying out for a forum/sub forum with more of a focus on 'club tunes', I think it is nice to keep focus tight. This place appears quite uninspiringly quiet though?

Seems like its a post a day kinda deal..that's a shame cos I think there is value in it.
Old 15th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio_death_wish View Post
Seems like its a post a day kinda deal..that's a shame cos I think there is value in it.
People here are more for arguing about analog vs digital than making tunes hence no one here knows **** all about actual production
Old 15th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkos View Post
People here are more for arguing about analog vs digital than making tunes hence no one here knows **** all about actual production
Surely anyone with their head screwed on has put that argument to bed - just gave your tunes a listen man, really digging it! Locked grooves, balls out techno - love it! Particularly liked 'Heart Attack' for its psychedelic tendencies and 'I Am' is killer - total banger.
Old 15th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio_death_wish View Post
Lurker, new poster - I have been crying out for a forum/sub forum with more of a focus on 'club tunes', I think it is nice to keep focus tight. This place appears quite uninspiringly quiet though?

It'll pick up.

Was *just* starting to before the 'Rona showed up.
Old 15th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
It'll pick up.

Was *just* starting to before the 'Rona showed up.
I would have thought lockdown would have increased forum traffic? Maybe not though, guess people have more important sh!t to deal with right now
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Eye View Post
I've only just noticed it exists.

This sub-forum should not exist. There should be a main forum for the people here, and a second forum called something like "Electronic music for boring old ****s" where people who like vangelis and JMJ can go hang out whilst wondering what synth to spend their pension and your inheritance on.
...just to play 'Jump' on.
Old 4th June 2020
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
...just to play 'Jump' on.
I think this DeeGenius Hopper Pooper is gone now.
📝 Reply