The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to make a world famous song, by Screamin' Jay and Shoutin' Pat
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

How to make a world famous song, by Screamin' Jay and Shoutin' Pat

The classic song “I Put a Spell on You” by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins was supposed to be a ballad, but during a recording session, Hawkins “screamed and grunted” because the producer (Arnold Maxin) "brought in ribs and chicken and got everybody drunk, and we came out with this weird version ... I don't even remember making the record."

"Before, I was just a normal blues singer. I was just Jay Hawkins. It all sort of just fell in place. I found out I could do more destroying a song and screaming it to death.”

It was his most-successful recording and is in The Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. Famously covered later by Creedence...

In his personal life Hawkins was put up for adoption as a wee child and shortly thereafter was adopted and raised by Blackfoot Indians.

He joined the US Army with a forged birth certificate in 1942 (age 13), and allegedly served in a combat role, with his fellow soldiers and higher-ups around him ignoring the fact he was substantially underage.

In 1949, he was the middleweight boxing champion of Alaska.

Singing partner Shoutin' Pat Newborn once stabbed him in jealousy when he married Virginia Sabellona.

Evenrually Hawkins had three children with his first wifw, and claimed on various occasions to have 57 or 75 kids in total. Yep. 57-75...

After his death, his friend and biographer Maral Nigolian set up a website to trace these children, identifying 33..., at least 12 of whom met at a 2001 reunion.

And that, kids, is one way to make a great song.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

tl; dr. ?

Fine. Here you go...

How to write and perform a great song:

* lead an interesting life full of rich experiences
* sometimes zig when you should zag
* break down expectations
* maybe scream when you're supposed to whisper
* embrace change and deviations from the norm
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing.

I saw this last week.

I really like Diamanda Galas version of the song too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search