The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DnB showdown thread. Post your drum and bass here
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

DnB showdown thread. Post your drum and bass here

Hello all, in the spirit of the Acid showdown thread I thought I would start one for drum and bass. This could also be a good idea to discuss ideas and thoughts on DnB creation and production techniques.

I am currently working on a drum and bass track so I am not going to start but I will be posting a track soon......
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Is this where we post our acid tracks now you’ve hijacked that thread?
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
If you want I did post some acid over there though :(
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Classic drum and bass DJ, walks into an acid thread and puts on DnB
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
If you want I did post some acid over there though :(
Just playing mate
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Classic drum and bass DJ, walks into an acid thread and puts on DnB
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

I'll kick it off by posting the first rum and bass track I've made in about 15 years - I've just listened to it on my MacBook and can't even hear the bassline, which sounded oh so good last night on my HD280s

Yes, it needs work ... and I need an MPC, or at least start using TAL Sampler properly, to do decent drums - you just can't do it by programming drum machines single shots!

I'm pretty much a Metalheadz guy when it comes to my DnB

707,909,101,JX8P

I got some good feedback in the other thread on the important elements - Jamie nailed it with his "competing rhythms" comments ... I've read a lot about the 707 being great for this style, but can't seem to hear it on any tracks ....
Old 27th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
rum and bass
My kind of party!
Old 27th February 2018
Stars in the Dark is a quality track, loved it back in the day! The first one isn't available on Youtube in the UK tho :(
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Great thread, I can chuck my experiments in here then. I've spent the last two years trying to perfect a sci fi sound, and finally getting somewhere. I make everything with Elektrons & my modular, macbeth mk1, xoxbox, midas desk, ssl comp & plugin magistering. i'm not really one for using the classic breaks.

<did use a break

edit* be careful this is loud

I have to now think a bit more about what i'm doing before doing it, because the tracks are more or less live & i print them then move on.

A good tip I have is make loads of different versions of one track, really try to push it in different directions instead of working on one thing for ages
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Here's something I did 5 years ago - not quite D'n'B (slightly drill and bass like) but still in that vein.
It was mostly sequenced on an Octatrack (breaks were all sliced and diced on the OT too) and used the Nord G1, Novation Supernova Rack, Monomachine and an MS20 Mini as sound sources.
Kodokushi (The Lonely Death).

Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Here's something I did 5 years ago - not quite D'n'B but still in that vein.
It was mostly sequenced on an Octatrack (breaks were all sliced and diced on the OT too) and used the Nord G1, Novation Supernova Rack, Monomachine and an MS20 Mini as sound sources.

its dnb, how is it anything else?
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
its dnb, how is it anything else?
I would have said it was but certain people elsewhere begged to differ on release and I got fed up arguing.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would have said it was but certain people elsewhere begged to differ on release and I got fed up arguing.
oh lol whatever. Nice video - good octatrack control, sounds fine loud. Octa is almost like a good hifi, so clean it just sounds like what you put in.
Old 27th February 2018
Quote:
Here's something I did 5 years ago - not quite D'n'B (slightly drill and bass like) but still in that vein.

Loved the VJ'ing in this vid! Thought it matched your track really well
Old 28th February 2018
Here for the gear

There's a lot of really nice tracks in this thread

I'll take a chance just to post a track (my only ever d'n'b track) I made 5 years ago, I actually lost the project so I was never able to finish / polish it. All I have left of this track is this silly mp3.

The track is a bit dirty, I really wanted to make a track that sounded like noisia and guys like that! would be cool if you gave it a listen!

Drum and bass test by Alessandro Maniscalco | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

And another! I really need to stop myself before I post my whole album here.

And one more because I can't control myself.

Last edited by Rogue Ai; 28th February 2018 at 12:58 AM..
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Head

Wouldn't be fair if I at least didn't put some stuff in here. I'm a major lurker but have not made a tune in like 10 years. So here is some old DnB that I did as a group.

DYKAST - CUBE (2003) by Carbon 14 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

DYKAST-OVERDRIVE! by DYKAST | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Jamalski-Ragga Younglist(Dykast&I-Cue remix) by DYKAST | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Couldn't resist throwing in something from totally left field...

Anime-intro styled track riffing off DnB rhythms on the drums.

Old 28th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post

Do you like Current Value? Id like to see gearslutz do a long interview with him about his techniques.
Old 28th February 2018
The last release I put up on my bandcamp is some atmospheric jungle:
The prior release "Sunrise" is some liquid dnb influenced stuff too. I'm currently finishing up an album of atmospheric jungle, hopefully it'll be done by summer.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
Do you like Current Value? Id like to see gearslutz do a long interview with him about his techniques.
I mostly listen to: Black Sun Empire, Noisia, Spor, Dom & Roland, Ed Rush, Optical, Gridlok... mostly neuro sound (except for Dom & Roland). But I also like atmospheric and DnB (like LTJ Bukem). I once posted in the same thread here as Dom & Roland and Optical... it was interesting.

But as far as the Current Value sound... I don't really have any tunes from them but I do like Evol Intent, Tech Itch as well with all the Amen Break chopping.

So my sound comes in three types: neurofunk, break choppage/jungle and atmospheric. Out of It is going to be the last track on my album. You can't have all your tunes be dark.

Last edited by Rogue Ai; 28th February 2018 at 02:52 AM..
Old 28th February 2018

Winner of the Spinnin' Records Talent Pool Demo Check, and Trended "Top 50 New & Hot Drum & Bass" here on Soundcloud.

Sasha - Rooms (Whorse 馬 Remix) by WHORSE 馬 | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
lots of operator fm drums, i seen that
Old 28th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

I love this! The octatrack is a nice little machine for chopping up breaks and I plan to explore it more. I like using the slide trigs to morph between two different retrig rates, pitches, lengths, starting points, etc.

did this one a while back that kind of shows the slide trig thing I'm talking about:

TASCAM 0025 - october breakbeats. by d-slamx | D Slamx | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

I only do experimental D&B. . . so not really in the center of this thread's theme, but anywayz.

Here's mine. This is a tune from a while back but at some point I put a proper ending on it, so this is actually the full version. I uploaded it especially for this thread.

Old 28th February 2018
You guys make some really solid stuff!

I don't do D&B often, but I did enter a D&B remix into a contest recently...did not win. D&B never wins these things

MetaPop
📝 Reply