The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TB 303 experts how do you reconstruct patterns?
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

lineofcontrol: since the only way to program a pattern into the 303 is via pitch mode, time mode (or tap-write mode), the 303 notation is direct instructions what to program in there
to read a pattern back from the 303, again, you can only use pitch and time modes, and the 303 gives the information to you in this way
Roland have included a convenient pattern sheet where you can write all the information

since the 303 keyboard covers a full octave from low to high C, there are two "C" keys .. iirc the Roland manual uses capital leters for all keys and C' for the upper C
however, we (a bunch of folks on IRC) decided that using lower-case letters is a better idea, and thus we use capital C for the high C, and capital letters for the DUAS attributes
this way i can write a pattern in plain text without very exotic characters:
TM: GGGG GG / PM: C, d#(UA), f, f#(DAS), f#(US), f
i can even ommit the braces and commas

basically, it doesn't matter as long as the pattern is unambiguously written, and you can read it correctly
beware that some (many?) folks write incorrect information into 303 pattern sheets.. which have extra unneeded information, or sound wrong, or make no sense
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Excellent explanation @ antto thanks so very much.
Old 27th September 2018
OK, so I finally got around to buying a TB03 and so far I'm loving it. I'm just using patterns from here and the internet at the mo as I'm not very creative, but it's great fun nonetheless.

There is a pattern that I've tried to recreate but am struggling with it. I think I have the timing right, but not the notes and slides, so was wondering if anyone can help me please? The pattern is from this track (one of my faves), it really starts to get into the swing around the minute mark.

Old 30th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
OK, so I finally got around to buying a TB03 and so far I'm loving it. I'm just using patterns from here and the internet at the mo as I'm not very creative, but it's great fun nonetheless.

There is a pattern that I've tried to recreate but am struggling with it. I think I have the timing right, but not the notes and slides, so was wondering if anyone can help me please? The pattern is from this track (one of my faves), it really starts to get into the swing around the minute mark.

I've been working on this some more over the weekend, this is what I've got so far. I don't think it's far off overall but it's not right still, can anyone correct this please?
IMG_6523 by TDG-77, on Flickr
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Does anyone want to have a crack at the DJ Scott project TB 303. Audio here:

YouTube
Old 31st August 2019
Here for the gear

Anybody could help with notes of Cafe Del Mar Eenergy 52?
Old 31st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flk23 View Post
Anybody could help with notes of Cafe Del Mar Eenergy 52?
Maybe this can give you a start as it shows them programming the first lot of notes and then work out the rest from there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNps2PVMHd0
Old 31st August 2019
Here for the gear

Yeah, id tried with this and others tutorials from yt,
Also like this
https://youtu.be/DRvsdw2sHQE
And that
https://youtu.be/qFI3CZq519c

But cant find solution for TB 03, always something sound not as have to....
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaper13 View Post
Does anyone want to have a crack at the DJ Scott project TB 303. Audio here:

YouTube
Are you serious ?
Those are all the same notes + some accents
Old 31st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flk23 View Post
Yeah, id tried with this and others tutorials from yt,
Also like this
https://youtu.be/DRvsdw2sHQE
And that
https://youtu.be/qFI3CZq519c

But cant find solution for TB 03, always something sound not as have to....
He's using a TB03 in that video I posted so I'm not sure why yours is not sounding the same? Here's what I came up with for the first 16 notes based on that video, I've not got around to working out the rest yet.
IMG_8216 by TDG-77, on Flickr
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Nut

Hi All,
I recently found this thread as am trying to recreate a pattern of mine own that I didn't write down:face palm:
I have tried to recreate in logic but am finding it super tough. The wonderful slide feature make it quite difficult to nail the pitch and time -my current version is far too stiff compared to the original.
Would any of you be up for helping transcribe it like you managed with the KLF track?
I have ABL3 in reason rack form, does anyone know if it has the built in analyser so I can try it out myself?

Thank you
Old 17th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel reed View Post
Hi All,
I recently found this thread as am trying to recreate a pattern of mine own that I didn't write down:face palm:
I have tried to recreate in logic but am finding it super tough. The wonderful slide feature make it quite difficult to nail the pitch and time -my current version is far too stiff compared to the original.
Would any of you be up for helping transcribe it like you managed with the KLF track?
I have ABL3 in reason rack form, does anyone know if it has the built in analyser so I can try it out myself?

Thank you
There is a way to get logic to break it down into MIDI if you have a recording of it. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it, someone one here did it for me IIRC.
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Nut

Wow! That's great, I never knew that.
Super helpful Thank you!
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Head

Does anybody have a clue what the pattern is of UR's The Final Frontier? I find it hard to reconstruct since there is so much knob twiddling going on.. Might be really simple though.
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by crizzle View Post
Does anybody have a clue what the pattern is of UR's The Final Frontier? I find it hard to reconstruct since there is so much knob twiddling going on.. Might be really simple though.
There's a shed load of FX on there and I'm definitely not that knowledgeable on the hardware side of things, but is there a chance this isn't a 303? Could be a 101/202?
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by acided View Post
There's a shed load of FX on there and I'm definitely not that knowledgeable on the hardware side of things, but is there a chance this isn't a 303? Could be a 101/202?
Could very well be and could also be an LFO on the cutoff. I will investigate some more with this in mind, thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply