The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding swing/Bass tips for techno/deep house
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
If you want to make house, making jazz first is a way way way better path than making EDM.

This is pretty much objective and unarguable.
Yes this. I dont need to sample rinsed stabs from old records because I sample myself playing those chords. And I not a keyboard wizard,I just studied jazz harmony enough to be able to play standards on bass so I could sit in with guys at jams.

Harmonic layering is the biggest way to make house sound “deep”. Amin7 bassline with a Dmin9 stab, a drone in E..etc. It’s just way easier to come up with this stuff when you already know what chords and notes could work.

As for the OP, the best way I get swing on a track is I make it on a drum machine, in my case, the analogue RYTM, close my eyes and dial the swing up. For me, it usually ends between 55-57 for whatever reason. Just the pocket I like, I guess.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Nut

All explained here:

But this is just the tip of the GROOVE iceberg. The relative position and velocity of the elements (drums, perc, bass, samples...) is what makes things groove.

Each style is different so I'd recommend studying the groove of music you like. Import it into your daw and play it back at half speed so you don't miss any elements. Try reconstructing the grooves as an exercise and you'll learn that often the interplay between percussive sounds is what drives the track, with other elements creating the counterpoint. Once you understand the downbeat, upbeat, backbeat etc you'll be making rhythms in no time
Old 26th May 2020
IEC
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
If you want to make house, making jazz first is a way way way better path than making EDM.

This is pretty much objective and unarguable.
Sure, but did you actually listen to the examples the OP quoted as wanting to emulate? Does that sound like ground breaking, original, tasteful, groovy house music to you?
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
Sure, but did you actually listen to the examples the OP quoted as wanting to emulate? Does that sound like ground breaking, original, tasteful, groovy house music to you?
But this is the point. If they just want to regurgitate trash, don’t bother. Give up now. We need more garbage like this like we need CoViD-20 and 21.

If you want to make ****ing art, do something differently.
Old 26th May 2020
IEC
Gear Nut

You cant force people to make good art, you just need to let them freely create and sift through the **** to find the pearls. Obviously, judging by the crowds at EDM events a lot of people happen to enjoy the taste of **** too apparently
Old 18th July 2020
Gear Head
Today's cookie cutter EDM is yesterday's exciting new sound, and so the circle of dance music rolls on, and on, and on...
📝 Reply