The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Control 24 power supply died :-(
Old 19th September 2014
Here for the gear

Unhappy Control 24 power supply died :-(

Apparently the power supply for my Control 24 died. I know of places i can ship it for repairs, but i want to avoid that if possible. Any ideas where I can get my hands on a power supply?

thanks!
Old 27th September 2014
Lives for gear
I'm not %100 sure on the control 24, when mine died I got a replacement from Avid and because it was a known issue it wasn't that expensive. But I believe Skynet (really creepy name choice, hopefully they aren't working on AI in a back room) is the company that makes most/all the power supplies for avid. This is their site:

Skynet Electronic Co., Ltd.

They (at least used to) have a guy in cali who can test and recondition them as well, although if your PS was a rev 1 you are probably better off swapping to the newer switching one that avid was (is?) offering. It creates less heat and I think insufficient ventilation in there was the prob in the first place.

Fair warning it is a pain in the ass, they hotmelt glue all the molexes in there to make it extra difficult to remove them.
Old 7th October 2014
Gear Nut
Todd AO / Soundelux auction, maybe?
Old 5th July 2015
Here for the gear

Control 24 PSU

In case someone comes across the same switching power supply failure that I experienced recently after a main AC problem, here's a possible solution.
I removed the blown T5A fuse soldered on the circuit board and from there ran two wires to a standard fuse holder on the back of the PSU rear pannel, which implied drilling through two sheets of metal near the on-off switch. When I turned the board back on, the new fuse blew instantly.
Then I found some info about checking the PSU FET transistor, which turned out to be kinda loosely bolted onto its radiator (with no heatsink coumpound), meaning it had probably heated up badly, making it more likely to die when stressed. I replaced it (8€) and the board came back to life ! The specs at RadioSpare are SPW20N60S5, Canal-N, 20A, 600V, A-247.
Therefore, I strongly suggest to working Control 24 owners to open the PSU pannel and crank the **** out of all the bolts holding heating componants to their radiators, and if possible add heatsink coumpound everywhere !

Also know that I asked Skynet for the schematic of the PSU but they refused to send it to me as their hands are contractually tied by Avid...
Old 12th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
But I believe Skynet (really creepy name choice, hopefully they aren't working on AI in a back room)
Not anymore.....

Old 10th February 2020
Here for the gear
Hello Mups,

want to says a big THANK YOU for SHARING your experience.

My Control 24 smells and stops working after a long session day.
The soldered Minifuse blows also after replacing.

I try to measure the reason of the shortcut,
after leaving the primary side with rectifier bridge and transformer, I found a short on the secondary side of the power supply.
Moving several components solder pins on one side to find out which one is responsible for the shortcut, I also find the POWERMOS FET transistor complete shortcut state between all three pins, also in unsolder state.

I replace the MOS FET transistor with SPW 20N60S5 TO 247 and also the mini fuse soldered T5A and runs the control 24 in test mode since 2 hours without any problem.

Please beware of the small connectors for the meter bridge boards, which could be pulled off by open the power supply section.

Thank you again, I'm very happy to be a part of this forum sharing valuable and helpful informations for us gear fans.

In case of being in a situation without enough knowledge to measure and find out the broken components this link could be helpful for all Control 24 users in europe.

http://www.avantipr.co.uk

Greetings to you, and a big THANK YOU once more to Mups,
Goetz from Wonderlandstudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mups View Post
In case someone comes across the same switching power supply failure that I experienced recently after a main AC problem, here's a possible solution.
I removed the blown T5A fuse soldered on the circuit board and from there ran two wires to a standard fuse holder on the back of the PSU rear pannel, which implied drilling through two sheets of metal near the on-off switch. When I turned the board back on, the new fuse blew instantly.
Then I found some info about checking the PSU FET transistor, which turned out to be kinda loosely bolted onto its radiator (with no heatsink coumpound), meaning it had probably heated up badly, making it more likely to die when stressed. I replaced it (8€) and the board came back to life ! The specs at RadioSpare are SPW20N60S5, Canal-N, 20A, 600V, A-247.
Therefore, I strongly suggest to working Control 24 owners to open the PSU pannel and crank the **** out of all the bolts holding heating componants to their radiators, and if possible add heatsink coumpound everywhere !

Also know that I asked Skynet for the schematic of the PSU but they refused to send it to me as their hands are contractually tied by Avid...
Old 10th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerY View Post
Hello Mups,
want to says a big THANK YOU for SHARING your experience.
Happy that it helped ! Sometimes, internet has good sides...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search