The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gotham DGS-2 for mic cable? Studio Headphones
Old 2nd August 2014
Here for the gear

Gotham DGS-2 for mic cable?

Hello.
I found a used Gotham mic cable, but it's not the GAC-3, only the DGS-2.
It is good for mic cable?
The GAC-3 had 6 wires, the GDS-2 just 5.
Here is:
Gotham Kabel AG | 70108 DGS-2 Ultraflexible 2-conductor microphone cable (single shielded)
Gotham Kabel AG | 10701 GAC-3 Ultraflexible 3-conductor microphone cable
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Stranded wires with more strands are more flexible. And they have a better chance of laying flat on the floor (depending on the dielectric/insulation, of course).

So, if you have some situation where the wires get moved all the time (as for portable, field applications) then cable with more strands would be prefereble.
Not clear why you would think it was NOT "good for mic cable" as Gotham designed it to be "mic cable". Do you think Gotham is incompetent?
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks, I just read everywhere, that for the mic cable people use the GAC-3, of course we talk only about the gothem cables.
Therefore i ask a question...I won't buy some cable what isn't for mic cable.
Of course the gotham cables are high quality, but I think (maybe wrong) there is a quality difference between the GAC-2, GAC-3 and the DGS-2. I will use in my small room, for recording guitars and vocals. So, the DGS-2 will do the job too?
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Use decent mic cable and you will be fine. There are people who believe in "magic" cables, but they can never demonstrate that they make any difference. There is another thread running here called "How important are cables in audio?" If you have to know which cable you used, and nobody else can measure (or even hear) the difference, then we must assume that people are imagining the difference. You will hear a much bigger difference by spending your budget on microphones and not on cables.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Note that the Gotham GAC-3 has 96 strands of 0.05 mm (0.20mm²) wire, and Gotham DGS-2 has 28 strands of 0.10 mm (0.22mm²) wire.
Even the DGS-2 wire is more flexible than many other brands of perfectly fine mic cable.

If they were constructed with 5 or 6 strands, they would, indeed, be rather stiff and not suitable for conventional studio use.
You appear to have misread the diagrams posted on those web pages you cited.
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

What have I misread?
The "Technical specifications" on the web pages isn't matter(like Conductor resistance etc)?
What do you think about CORDIAL CMTOP222, Cordial CPM, Mogami 2549, CANARE L-2B2AT? Are these cables better?
Which would be your choice?
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

Gotham DGS-2 vs GAC-3

Hi venndi,

If you have found a reasonable price on used DGS-2 cables, they are fine cables for most uses, but are in the Gotham economy line and aren't the premium cables Gotham are famous for. The DGS cables have a single shield instead of the double shields of the GAC series, and are still better than your average run-of-the-mill cables. If you are on a tight budget, they would do you just fine in most cases.

If you are buying new, cables built with GAC-3 or GAC-4/1 are a higher quality. The GAC-3 is the famous 'Neumann cable', and has 3 conductors instead of the standard 2, giving a dedicated ground wire in addition to the double shields which helps with noise rejection. It does have a relatively high capacitance, which while sounding great, limits it to cable lengths of 50 - 100 feet. The GAC-4/1 is a low capacitance cable, good for cable runs of hundreds of feet, and being a Star Quad design, helps significantly with interference rejection. The low capacitance also gives the GAC-4/1 a more extended top end. It is our best-selling Gotham cable by far, and if you were to buy new and wanted the best, paying a little more for the GAC-4/1 would achieve that.

Rhiannon
Rising Professional Cables

Last edited by rhiannon97206; 4th August 2014 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Sig
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by venndi View Post
What have I misread?
You said
Quote:
The GAC-3 had 6 wires, the GDS-2 just 5.
Where the web pages say that the GAC-3 has 96 strands while the GDS-2 has 28 strands.

Quote:
The "Technical specifications" on the web pages isn't matter(like Conductor resistance etc)?
Certainly, the specs matter, but not as much as you seem to believe.

Quote:
What do you think about CORDIAL CMTOP222, Cordial CPM, Mogami 2549, CANARE L-2B2AT? Are these cables better?
Which would be your choice?
Define: "better"????????????
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks rhiannon97206.
Richard: Yes, you are right...I mean that on conductors , that the GAC-3 has 3, the DGS-2 has 2.
Under better cable I mean, that the sound is more fuller-warmer...I found yesterday a comparasion video on youtube, but I can't now found. There was a planet waves and some noname cable, the difference was huge.
In former times I have seen a diagram with a couple brand, and there was showing which have more deeper (bass) and which have more higher (treble) sound.
I search some deeper sounded cable, fuller-warmer.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search