The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using a 3dConnexion Space Pilot Pro for editing and DAW control! Control Surfaces
Old 25th July 2014
Using a 3dConnexion Space Pilot Pro for editing and DAW control!

This is how i ended up really getting fast at editing. NOTE this can be adapted for other DAW's In my case its Steinberg's Nuendo. Any DAW that can do keyboard shortcuts should work as well. I figured I would re-purpose a controller I already had to make editing lighting fast.

I have mapped a ton of my most used keyboard commands and navigation macros to my 3dconnexion space pilot pro device. This lets me zoom pan swap tracks along the time line as scrub fwd and back at different rates etc. Then i also assigned all the key-bindings of the device to things like the tools and normalize as well as export options. A tablet and pen in my right hand the 3dconnexion device in my left.. i can edit very very fast! Nice that so many key commands are available!

Here are just a few commands i am using at the moment. I have added more since that was made.

Here is the mapping i have on the 6 degree Axis knob:

I use the puck on top in the middle to do my timeline navigation.
For example:
I pull up and push down to zoom in and out
slide left and right to pan the timeline
tilt forward and back to jump between tracks
tilt left and right to scrub slowly
twist clockwise and counter-clockwise to scrub at 8x
Here is a link to the 3dconnexion unit i have NOTE they do have cheaper ones as well as the puck by itself without macro buttons.

3Dconnexion : SpacePilot Pro

Feel free to private mesg. me if you want more info.

Here are some examples of my setup buttons and macros:

Old 25th July 2014
Here are my 2 config files. Back yours up first!!!!!!
Nuendo key commands as i have them setup:
http://adriaantaylor.com/files/nuendo_commands.zip
BACK up your nuendo Key Command.xml file located in /Users/XXXX/Library/Preferences/Nuendo 6.5
Then replace it with the file here.. Easy way to tell if its mine.. I created 1-9 top keyboard row for the markers Add and 1-9 or so on the keypad for go to marker.
If you look in your key commands under the file menu in nuendo:

And my 3dConnexion config: You should be able to use the 3dconnexion control panel to import config.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjadams View Post
Here are my 2 config files. Back yours up first!!!!!!
Nuendo key commands as i have them setup:
BACK up your nuendo Key Command.xml file located in /Users/XXXX/Library/Preferences/Nuendo 6.5
Then replace it with the file here.. Easy way to tell if its mine.. I created 1-9 top keyboard row for the markers Add and 1-9 or so on the keypad for go to marker.
If you look in your key commands under the file menu in nuendo:

And my 3dConnexion config: You should be able to use the 3dconnexion control panel to import config.
Hi Cj , thks for sharing , tell me , can control basic stuff with the knob like vol fader , pan , or just whatever the mouse is pointing ?

Thks
Old 25th January 2017
If you are on the mac this still works. If you are on windows. The knob is now totally useless in nuendo/cubase. They took the options out of the control panel.

I have moved on.. even tried embarrassing them publicly on twitter it didn't make them put it back in on the PC side.

I am testing the https://palettegear.com/ stuff with it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Hi Cj , thks for sharing , tell me , can control basic stuff with the knob like vol fader , pan , or just whatever the mouse is pointing ?

Thks
Attached Thumbnails
Using a 3dConnexion Space Pilot Pro for editing and DAW control!-palettesetupnuendoedit.jpg  
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are on the mac this still works. If you are on windows. The knob is now totally useless in nuendo/cubase. They took the options out of the control panel.

I have moved on.. even tried embarrassing them publicly on twitter it didn't make them put it back in on the PC side.

I am testing the https://palettegear.com/ stuff with it instead.
Shame .....thks i'm still investigating ...
Old 25th January 2017
If you can find a way to make it work on windows let me know.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
CJ i'm really thing about the Console 1 in conkonction with a Faderprot or my laphatrack , compact solid soultion with sonar (since the integration is tight)
i will try anyway to contact them for a heavy test ....they should really consider the Music bizness side ...
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've used Contour ShuttlePro v2 and it has worked quite nicely and it is cheap.
Old 28th January 2017
Had a great talk with the https://palettegear.com/ folks. Unlike 3dconnexion they seem interested in other markets and all kinds of creative possibilities. Stay tuned.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had a great talk with the https://palettegear.com/ folks. Unlike 3dconnexion they seem interested in other markets and all kinds of creative possibilities. Stay tuned.
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

Hi I'm late to the Space Pilot Pro debate having purchased one last week thinking I could use it with my 3D art software and my music software and have been somewhat disappointed. However I came across this thread and it appears a taylor had some success in the past, despite 3dconnexions unwillingness to play ball (no idea why it makes Zero marketing sense). I tried to download the files but the links are long dead does anybody have the original files or know the link. Much appreciated. Regards Malcolm aka fixed1t in the UK
Old 15th August 2018
The main issue is that the 3dconnexion folks killed the puck options on the windows side.. they do still exist on the mac side.
sadly they don't seem to care to put the function back in.
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

Spacepilot Pro Mac

aTaylor Thanks for the quick reply, I am running on a Mac down you still have the files?

Regards Malcolm
Old 15th August 2018
I am sorry i do not. However.. it was easy to setup.. just assign your keyboard shortcuts to the keys and puck as you like. your workflow may be different than mine was anyway. Lately im uisng the 3d mouse for 3d stuff in maya etc.. but have a pair of slate ravens for use in cubase / nuendo / ableton live.
My setup has changed sooo much over the years from a large orchestral template with 1000+ tracks to a totally live composing rig. aka Vangelis style of composing instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Using a 3dConnexion Space Pilot Pro for editing and DAW control!-pacer1.jpg  
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

I Found ControllerMate

Thanks again for the reply, thats a great looking setup. I found ControllerMate last night which appears to be a great piece of control software for all sorts of gadgets. I just managed to get track scrolling working (badly ie first try) on Final Cut pro so now I need to refine the process. It appears the developer is suffering the same way I did when I created and sold garageband iPad Mac translator that worked like a dream until Apple changed the source code and stopped the really cool functions stone dead, Just as I'd created a Garageband to PC transfer tool enabling PC uses with iPads to share files with Mac iPad and Mac Garageband. I'll keep plugging away as besides music I work with Robots and Just started 3D printing. I want to print some attachments (limbs) to enable a group of Robots to play one of my pieces live driven through Midi and their own random inked additions.
Attached Thumbnails
Using a 3dConnexion Space Pilot Pro for editing and DAW control!-crazy-packed-studio.jpg   Using a 3dConnexion Space Pilot Pro for editing and DAW control!-red-robosapien.jpg  
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I don't have one of these, but some coworkers use these with CAD software. Mention of it here stimulated some curiosity, and that prompted me to look in the CAD arena for a solution to the question.

Some in a SolidWorks CAD forum got the Space Pilot (not Pro) to work. Check out the info in the discussion thread.

Quote:
Does the Spacepilot (not pro) still work with S... | SOLIDWORKS Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bach
1) Download the Win7 driver (3DxSoftware64_v3-16-3_r1447.exe)

2) RightMouseButton over the EXE and select "Properties" Set "Compatibility Mode" to "Win7"

3) Double-click EXE and run the installation process

4) Plug-in SpacePilot to USB port

5) Launch SolidWorks . . . it will notice the new 3D mouse and automatically install the Add-In

6) Use the "3D Mouse Home" app (that got installed on your desktop) to configure the buttons and speed of zoom/spin/etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_Cardwell
I have a SpacePilot still working with 2018 and Windows 10. Didn't have to do anything special other then use an older version of the driver. The last one that I have found that works with the SpacePilot is 3DxWare64_v10-4-10_r2558.
Old 26th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
I don't have one of these, but some coworkers use these with CAD software. Mention of it here stimulated some curiosity, and that prompted me to look in the CAD arena for a solution to the question.

Some in a SolidWorks CAD forum got the Space Pilot (not Pro) to work. Check out the info in the discussion thread.
See that is true if you only want to use this in a non supported 3rd party program like cubase or any daw.. but sadly if you go back in time with an older driver but happen to use something like autodesk maya you need to use the latest driver.. so catch 22
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search