The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How important are cables in audio? Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneySound View Post
I too would like to know this.
me too.

I am laughing my ass off about the "technical knowledge" and "understanding null-tests" of noosebleedaudio. so the name is program?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

At least the likes of Mogami and Van Damme actually publish lots of technical specs about their cables, electrical & mechanical measurements done. I'd class them as good solid cables to buy that should last a long time. It's the ridiculous silver/carbon poly/(insert quantum marketing term) cables that cost 10-100x more than the likes of Mogami that are absolute snake oil products (and who also incidently tend to publish no real scientific measured data of any kind)

I use Van Damme for all my analog cables, but when it came to AES/EBU I chose Mogami simply because their tolerance for the Impedance was +/-5% vs Van Dammes +/- 10% for their 110Ohm AES Cable.

I'm wondering if the OP was referring to high end cables of the affordable level of Mogami, or talking about the pure silver ultra expensive cables?
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
I go over 200KHz on bandwidth test, are you going that high?
Can you tell me where the -3dB point is?
How long, time wise does it take you to do a null test, takes me about 5 seconds to do a sweep..
The -3dB point of the cable will be much higher than the -3dB point of any well designed audio circuit.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
The -3dB point of the cable will be much higher than the -3dB point of any well designed audio circuit.
Really?
Runs over 300' will be...I know studios that have Mic lines over 300'...It was very noticeable...
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear
I've heard people say that yes cables do make a difference. I think it is all about how discriminating your ear is. What some people hear as a huge difference, others only hears as "meh".
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm still wondering how any measurable differences that don't show up in a null test can possibly be affecting the audio.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Unless you are running extremely long cable lengths (in the hundreds of feet) then any good quality / shielded / durable cable is going to sound the same. When specs represent non-audible factors, they cease to be relevant to me.

I use a hodgepodge of Mogami, Pro Co, Monster, Horizon, Gepco and Lava in my signal chain / patchbay. That includes 50 foot snakes that run between my console and patchbay / hardware. I consider them 100% interchangeable and acoustically identical. (even when audibly testing the cumulative effect of several cables through my patch bay) My cable selection between studio gear is based only on length / balanced vs unbalanced and what is within reach.

There are a few really crappy no-brand or off-brand sub $5 cables that I only use for CV signals. I do have some minimum standards...

High end cables are a flashy distraction that causes too many people to invest limited studio funds in the wrong direction. If you have the extra cash and want the best, then go for it! Just be careful not to convince a guy that is struggling to scrape together a decent studio to invest a large portion of his money on something that could only make a fraction of a percent improvement on his finished product at best.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
If you have the extra cash and want the best, then go for it! Just be careful not to convince a guy that is struggling to scrape together a decent studio to invest a large portion of his money on something that could only make a fraction of a percent improvement on his finished product at best.
Or when the cables null, no improvement at all!

Excellent post.
Old 29th July 2014
I loved the guy on a GS thread who was talking about how much better a $120- cable made his $60- mic sound! Wish I could dig it up..... Really sad that people prey on pseudo science to basically rip people off..... Call Redco and get them to make whatever you want..... Or Monoprice for an off the rack well made cheapo. To the thread starter, take your best cables and put a mix through them, take the same mix and put it through a similar Redco branded cable and post how different it sounds. Honestly, straight up, or stop wasting peoples time and spreading false information that can cost people their hard earned cash!
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameleonUK
I've been playing with all kind of cables and wires and found out that more of less EVERY wire has it's own sound.
Indeed it does..... THE CABLE MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!! (If its not shielded as good,if its not the same length,density,etc)

All are factors!!
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Talk is cheap. Post some examples. If the effect is as great as you say, it should be obvious to everyone who hears the clips...........................
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Talk is cheap. Post some examples. If the effect is as great as you say, it should be obvious to everyone who hears the clips...........................

The only thread I've seen where a cable evangelist posted clips, all the clips nulled to one another. And when, inexplicably, even that failed to convince them, I made a track of the example song where it switched randomly between all the cable types about 20 times and no one even attempted to guess where the cables changed in the track. Mind you, these were the same guys previously talking about a "night and day" difference in these exact clips.

Talk is indeed cheap.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear interested

Expensive power cables

My favorites are the sites selling $300+ power cables, and even $17.50/foot replacement for the Romex in your wall to wire your dedicated AC circuits with.

There's one place I found selling AC receptacle wallplates. I think they're around $100-200. All sorts of "science" stated which make them sound better.

Rhiannon
Rising Professional Cables
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I'm still wondering how any measurable differences that don't show up in a null test can possibly be affecting the audio.
I've started a new thread with evidence that they do can show up in null tests:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/conne...flections.html

Walking the walk...
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Addict

Thank you for your tests.....Ill take a listen!!

All I know is: I HAD TO CHANGE THE CORD BETWEEN MY VCR AND AMP and now I am hearing crappy audio!! (Voices are horrid -- Not as Bassy and some sibilance)
Old 4th September 2014
Cable influence so much for audio recording. I test about 20 different cables and choose best for me.
My favorite cable for guitar/bass DI-recording is Paul Dime Studio Silver Custom and Studio & Mic Series for Mics
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_pavlic View Post
Cable influence so much for audio recording. I test about 20 different cables and choose best for me.
My favorite cable for guitar/bass DI-recording is Paul Dime Studio Silver Custom and Studio & Mic Series for Mics
You're talking unbalanced cables. That's a different story.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
If you hear a difference in cable's then:

a] One of them is of a poor design or construction.
b] One of them is defective.
c] The output stage of the sending unit or the input stage of the receiving unit is of poor design or defective.
I know it’s been a while since this post, but I have to respond to this:

Eh... I mean.. when you get into hi-end headphones (Sennheiser HD-800/Audeze LCD-X/Focal Utopia), and you are splitting hairs about cables because they do make an audible difference in the sound (be it openess and stronger transients) my question is (why) in the world would speakers be (any) different? The only difference between them is that headphones are speakers that rest on your ears.

I guess what I’m trying to say to the gentleman who started the thread is, by all means if you’re going to spend some serious money on speakers that have a better than average overall sound and frequency response, then do at the very least consider some serious cables in order to bring their potential to fruition. If you can’t tell the difference, then you probably shouldn’t have gotten some hi-end speakers in the first place because the cables will surely do something to the sound; it’s about picking which interpretation fits best to the subjectivity of your ears.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I thought that the horse died almost four years ago.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

the only difference between a cheap cable and a more expensive one , MIGHT be the expensive one has better quality connectors....MAYBE. And usually the better cables are more flexible and wrap easily without kinking. I've only been doing this for 40 years though....but I've yet to HEAR any difference unless it's gone microphonic but that's due to a poor solder (I think ?)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzBass View Post
the only difference between a cheap cable and a more expensive one , MIGHT be the expensive one has better quality connectors....MAYBE. And usually the better cables are more flexible and wrap easily without kinking. I've only been doing this for 40 years though....but I've yet to HEAR any difference unless it's gone microphonic but that's due to a poor solder (I think ?)
Well you’re not spending enough time on the Internet then. If you were, you’d know that some cables are Open, others are Punchy, some have Musical Mids, others (wholly dependent on retail price tag of course) are Pinched or Sound Like A Blanket On Your Speakers. This is Gospel truth. Even when they all null and the copper inside ‘em rolls off the same factory line.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Guitarists will most definitely muddy the waters on this one. for Guitarists, yes your cable can often make a meaningful difference. but that's often a very specific case which isn't the basis on which everyone else is attempting to rest the case,
for the general claim.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes, cable capacitance will certainly affect high-impedance circuits like passive electric guitars, etc.
Which is why microphones left behind high-impedance unbalanced in favor of low-impedance balanced.
That was around 50 years ago. Too bad the musical instrument crowd is stuck back in the previous century.
Old 1 week ago
I love using the Accusound Cable Co. wire. I tested it all against various brands and found I prefer it, and its always the lowest noise, most balanced sounding cable in my shootouts. I have MX4 quad for mics, GX2 for instrument, AT-7 for tube mics, and IX3 for balanced line level signals. The IX3 is the top of the crop, and was designed to be interconnected between your Monitor Controller and Active Monitoring. After A/B testing this stuff, my ears heard a stark difference. The difference allows me to work easier and hear my gear better. That is the simple reason I have for owning it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was trying out a high end channel strip and I think it was feeding a compressor at the time. It was picking up lots of hi freq noize. Turns out it was getting RFI from one of my computer monitors. I cured it by getting some new cables--nothing fancy, maybe amazon basics. My theory is that my old cables were not 100% shielded and susceptible to RFI--so now I know I have a trunk full of probably crappy cables from the last 40 years and probably need to buy new ones--since I am ITB except for preamp--not a lot of cables needed. Now I am using a great river mp2nv and it did not pick up the monitor rfi noize regardless of the cable. The great river has transformers on the in and out side, so has a lot less susceptibility to buzz than other gear I have tried.

So shielding is important. Also, I like to get cables of different colors as it helps track them on the floor and so on, so, color another thing that makes a difference.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Well you’re not spending enough time on the Internet then.........................................................
On the internet, yep all the time! But with in person, ears only listening, seldom.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I just bought a new cable, the two things that sold me on it were the metal Neutrik connectors ILO those molded plastic ones, and the cable itself was supple, not stiff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search