The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbay cable thickness - does it matter?
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Patchbay cable thickness - does it matter?

I ordered some short cables on Amazon to use in my patchbay. They appear quite thin, like guitar pedal cables.

I quite like the fact that they are smaller as they take up less space but will this affect the sound quality?
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
I ordered some short cables on Amazon to use in my patchbay. They appear quite thin, like guitar pedal cables.

I quite like the fact that they are smaller as they take up less space but will this affect the sound quality?
I wouldn't necessarily judge patch cables based on thickness, but cable materials different connector quality, etc absolutely effects the sound. Lots of opinions on GS and elsewhere about different types/brands.
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

Cable thickness can be deceiving. Quite often, the thickest cables are mostly just constructed of a thick outer shell, and it is not necessarily representative of the actual robustness of the conductors.

Instead of comparing the outside diameter of the cable, you should compare the actual gauge of the conductors. Besides conductor gauge, you should also consider the type of shielding, conductor cross-talk, and of course the overall cable construction.
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

If they are those multi coloured short patch leads listed on Amazon and eBay then they are poop. I bought a few sets a couple of years back and they started failing one by one on a fortnightly basis. I say best is to buy quality or build your own using good quality cable and connectors. It is more pricey to start but we all know how annoying it is when you spend some time patching and the their are faults that after wasting time trouble shooting you find it's a dodgy cable.
Old 30th January 2020
The thin ones are fine. I've had some for years that work perfectly.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

If the connection is balanced and the signal line-level there is literally no difference as long as the cable isn't faulty. The only difference could be poor connector shielding if you're in an electromagnetically-noisy area.

The thickness of the patch cables doesn't matter if you're running a balanced line-level or mic-level cable as it's a low-impedance signal.

Guitar cable is another matter completely.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search