The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with connection issue
Old 29th January 2020
Here for the gear

Help with connection issue

Hi, I have a studio mic with a female mini usb connection I want to use it on my PC as a mic for pod casts. I need to connect it to my 3.5 mm mic port on my PC but I am having trouble finding a cord to do that. I found some shorter ones on Amazon but I need at least a 4 foot Cord length. I found a converter that will go from a Male mini usb to a female usb to attach right to the mic then a input sterio Jack and output mic jack to a usb coverter also a 4' 3.5 male to 3.5 male 4 ring cable question is can I run the mic into the sterio out jack that would then go into the mic jack on my PC? Would that work? Being that usually that adapter is used for lap tops to connect a headset and mic to the PC through a usb port but I am running the connection in reverse so instead of the usb running into the PC the usb for me would be running to the mic meaning if I use the sterio out jack then to run the mic to the PC would the mic work for what I want?
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

I don't think it will work.

USB ports are all either "host ports" or "device ports," and a USB connection needs to go between a host port and a device port. The host is responsible for initiating and controlling all activity on the USB bus. The microphone is a device, and the audio interface is a device (even though it may look like it's merely a cable, there's a little controller chip in it somewhere), so trying to hook them up together results in having two devices connected with no host and that doesn't work.

Does your PC not have a USB port where you can plug your microphone in directly? It should be recognized as an audio input when that's done, and you should be able to select it in the system settings or podcast program or whatever as your audio input source in preference to the built-in microphone port. That would be the best way to connect it. If all your USB ports are in use, you just need to get a USB hub.

(As an aside, there are a few USB things, most notably a number of smart phones, which can be either a host or a device depending on the cable that's connected, though never both at the same time.)
Old 1st February 2020
Lives for gear

Yes you have to connect to a USB port on your computer. The USB output from your mic is a digital signal. The 3.5mm mic input on your computer is for analog mic signals only.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search