The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beginning question?
Old 6th January 2020
Here for the gear

Beginning question?

Hello all, happy New year !

Im new in connecting digital piano with mixer.

Digital piano is Korg SP 250 and have two female 1/4 inputs, L and Right.
I have Mixer Behringer x1222 usb which have stereo inputs 1/4 inch, l and right.

I understand that balanced cable is better in any case, so should I use balanced mono or stereo, or unbalanced mono or stereo cable to connect digital piano with mixer?

Can mono cable be balanced? What happens if I connect balanced cable in unbalanced input? Whats is standard cables of connecting digital piano in stereo with mixer?
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Hi, a mono cable cannot be balanced as a balanced cable needs three connections: 2 signal and 1 ground.
Since the Korg has unbalanced output there is little advantage to using a balanced cable.
Cost of a pair of unbalanced cables vs a pair of balanced cables is unlikely to be significant.
You won’t cause any issues using balanced cable with this setup.
Good luck
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

The keyboard has unbalanced outputs, so you should use a pair of unbalanced (TS) cables. Depending on how the output connectors are arranged, using a balanced cable to connect it to a balanced input could result in no or very poor sound as the sleeve may not be connected to anything on the keyboard's end (and the shield is not connected to the cold/negative side of the input on the mixer's end).

Note that a TRS cable isn't inherently either "stereo" or "balanced". It's just a TRS cable, with two signal conductors and a shield. Whether those two signal conductors carry a single balanced audio signal or a pair of unbalanced signals is entirely determined by what is on either end. A balanced stereo connection requires four signal conductors (two pairs): one for the left and one for the right; with 1/4" plugs this means two cables or, entirely equivalently, a dual cable which is two cables joined together.

Some other digital pianos have balanced outputs, and for those a balanced cable would be preferred (but an unbalanced one would work) to connect to the balanced input of the mixer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search