The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trigger cable length - does it matter?
Old 30th December 2019
Trigger cable length - does it matter?

Hello.

I currently have a Roland TR-09 and am looking into getting the Roland SH-01a, mainly for its ability to use the internal sequencer, triggered from the TR-09. My question is about the cable type needed, to hook the two up together.

My current setup isn't the most ideal and the TR-09 and the SH-01a, will not be directly beside each other. From reading around, I understand the cable needs to be a mono 3.5mm/1/8", but does length matter? Some of the pictures and videos I see, have the cables looking really short in length, since the units are side by side, but this will not work for me and I think I will need a cable at least 3+ft in length.

Will using a cable that is too long, have any issues because of this? I am afraid of voltage/signal strength not being clean enough to keep the two units stable together and am also afraid that there may be timing issues, in keeping things in sync tightly, if the trigger cable is too long?

What is the consensus on this? What is the recommended and max length for the trigger cable and is there anything else I need to know in type of cable to use? Is there a special type, gauge, or manufacturer to look into?

If anyone has any links to exact cable that are good to use for the trigger, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for so much any time and effort in replying to this message.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

This is pretty close to as noncritical a job for a cable as you're likely to come. Most any cable type with the correct connectors will work, and length shouldn't matter so long as you're in the same building. Three feet definitely won't make any difference.
Old 31st December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
This is pretty close to as noncritical a job for a cable as you're likely to come. Most any cable type with the correct connectors will work, and length shouldn't matter so long as you're in the same building. Three feet definitely won't make any difference.
Thank you so much, I really do appreciate this answer and your time in providing it. I am glad to know that I don't have to worry too much about the cable. I was afraid of getting something that wouldn't provide optimal results, because it would be poor quality, too long, etc.

I guess any old 3.5mm TS to 3.5mm TS cable would work and I can not stress about brand, or model?

Would this work ok? It is listed as a 12V trigger cable: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MA18DPL/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

No clue if that 12V trigger part changes anything?

I will likely need 3ft of cable, but if that doesn't work, I will unfortunately have to grab 6ft, since there is nothing made in between.

Thanks so much again!
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear
Trigger cable length will make no change. for a practical case, up to 50'. Past 20' you may want to use a decent cable vs. the trigger cables that are not good enough to handle audio.
Old 31st December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Trigger cable length will make no change. for a practical case, up to 50'. Past 20' you may want to use a decent cable vs. the trigger cables that are not good enough to handle audio.

Thank you so much! So will the cable I linked above be fine? It is listed as a 12V trigger cable, but it a mono TS to mono TS 3.5mm cable.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
Depends on the trigger. Most use a stereo cable, but I mainly work with Roland style triggers that use the rim switch note# system. That system uses one line for the trigger, and another for the "Switch" that decides when you intended to hit the rim instead of the head.

Depending on the brain, can split the stereo to two mono and use with two "Mono" triggers.

Here is the problem with realtime E-drums:

Electricity for practical purpose is the speed of light

So a signal doing down a wire does not have lag or degradation issues until you talk about 100'+- and can get bad past 200'

But here is the chain I have for lag in real time drumming:

Trigger brain wan't time decide how load the trigger was hit 3ms
Midi out the drum brain to the computer 0.5ms
Daw takes MIDI routs to the Softsynth(BFD3) 0.2ms
Softsynths wants time for it's own tricks and mix 1ms
Daw wants time to mix the signals 1ms
OS wants buffers to make computer run smooth 64 samples
Any delay compensation add to the issue 0-? samples
Convert signal from digital to analog. 1ms for me, some cards take 10ms

When you hear a signal each ms is about the same as 1' of distance away the source sounds. a drum set can be 10' wide, so 5ms is about the accetable limit to make drums feel good. Use sounds out of a brain,, that does it. Use sounds out of a computer,,,,better have a sound card that works in 1 ms. The triggers want over half of that 5ms just to decide how loud they have been hit. Leaving you with 2ms for everything MIDI and Audio related to still feel good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search