The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100 ft Headphone extender
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

100 ft Headphone extender

Hi guys first time caller, longtime listener...

I have a home studio that I track and record rough demos for my band. I want to improve the audio quality of the vocals and decided to set up a vocal booth in a closet on the other side of the house. Its about a 100 ft run up through the attic and back down. In scanning through the threads for the last hour or so, it looks like there is little concern running a 100 foot xlr cable from the interface(scarlett 18i20) to the mic(shure sm7B) and running a 100 ft of headphone extension cable for monitoring. Am I right there? Any advice on finding a 100 ft headphone extension cable...google isnt finding anything that long, thinking about chaining together 4 25 foot headphone cable together. Just want to get it right before climbing around in my attic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd suggest getting a 200+ foot section of bulk balanced audio cable and wiring your own connectors at either end. As it will be running through the attic, installed cable ought to be fine for this. Alternately, if you don't feel comfortable attaching your own connectors, you could get another 100' microphone cable and a couple of TRS to XLR adapters.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySean View Post
Hi guys first time caller, longtime listener...

I have a home studio that I track and record rough demos for my band. I want to improve the audio quality of the vocals and decided to set up a vocal booth in a closet on the other side of the house. Its about a 100 ft run up through the attic and back down. In scanning through the threads for the last hour or so, it looks like there is little concern running a 100 foot xlr cable from the interface(scarlett 18i20) to the mic(shure sm7B) and running a 100 ft of headphone extension cable for monitoring. Am I right there? Any advice on finding a 100 ft headphone extension cable...google isnt finding anything that long, thinking about chaining together 4 25 foot headphone cable together. Just want to get it right before climbing around in my attic.
i re-wired all my headphones with XLR ends .. so i can use microphone cables as headphone extensions .. have sent signal about 75 feet .. 100 feet should be fine .. you might be able to use a piece of CAT5 and put XLR ends ..

and yes, then use a male xlr to TRS .. the headphone side - if you did NOT wish to re-wire your cans .. you could get the female TRS to female XLR for the headphone side and male XLR would connect to an XLR to TRS cable ..

it works fine .. i have never got any interference in a studio or home recording setup ... and in a big house stringing cable all over .. under the house too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search