The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cable Length and Audio Quality
Old 9th November 2019
Here for the gear

Cable Length and Audio Quality

Hello, I am using a sound devices mix pre 6 as a hub for being able to listen to vinyl and as a usb interface to stream audio from bandcamp via my laptop.

I have a Abacus A box 12 subwoofer and a pair of Abacus C-box 4.

I'm going to use the stereo out of the mixpre 6 which requires a stereo mini jack and this will connect to the subwoofer input with two rca connectors. Then rca out of subwoofer to rca input of c-box 4s.

I would like to invest in some good analogue audio cables such as the audioquest evergreen or red river.

Does it matter that I am using an unbalanced mini jack out to a subwoofer, does the length of the cable matter? Does any of this effect the sonic quality or the stereo imaging?

Just to be clear, this is the gear I have at the moment. I know Sound devices is a location sound recorder, but, this is what I have to get going.

Thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would like to invest in some good analogue audio cables such as the audioquest evergreen or red river.

Rather than those, get some good cables made by Belden, Canare or Mogami.
For long RCA (or other unbalanced interconnects) (say well over 5 meters/15 feet), you need a coax with a heavy braided shield. Something like the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search