The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
3.5mm (in) to 6.5mm (out) connector not working for input
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

3.5mm (in) to 6.5mm (out) connector not working for input

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and those 3.5 mm to 6.5mm adapters as I sometimes use a 3.5mm microphone on my headphones. I can use the adapter fine in the audio output headphone port, but whenever I try to get it to work on the input, the only way that it sounds correct is to have the 3.5mm half way in. I have tried two different adapters and both TRS and TRRS cables. Maybe the Scarlett doesn't accept the adapters? I don't know why it doesn't work. It doesn't matter that much as I don't need it that often, and if I do use it, I result in using the crappy onboard audio of my PC.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If your microphone is part of a computer headset, then it is a "computer microphone" (vs. a wireless belt-pack microphone which has the same kind of plug but is not interchangeable).

Alas, I don't know of any commercial adapters that would do what you are asking for. Frankly, if you can get it to work by plugging it half-way an adapter, then you may have found the only practical solution already. Unless you want to make a custom adapter. But only you can make the trade-off decision whether that is worth it or not.

Considering that most computer headsets are not noted for the quality of their microphones, it might be just as good to plug the headset directly into your computer. You don't really need the Scarlett USB audio interface for headphones/microphone that are designed to plug directly into the computer.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Don't know if I understood the situation.
If it's a computer headset with a microphone and it all connects through a 3.5mm then the microphone pin will be after the ground, closer to the body of the jack connector.
So when you'll plug it, the signal from the mic will go to the ground pin of the 6.5mm jack and obviously to the ground pin of the Scarlett XLR.

To make it work, you should buy a split cable proper for this job, and connect the 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter to the mic jack:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search