The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DIY BNC to 4pin LEMO Timecode cable
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
DIY BNC to 4pin LEMO Timecode cable

I need a timecode cable to go from a Zoom f8 to a RED camera, but to buy they are super expensive. So, I figured I'd just make one. It's a BNC to 4pin LEMO type.

However, I am having trouble finding a schematic that will tell me how to wire it up.

I know which is the ground, but other than that, I don't know which pin(s) to connect.

Any help?

Thanks!

*Also, will probably need the wiring for a 5pin LEMO as well (for ARRI cameras)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Even if anyone has one of those cables and just takes a ohmmeter to it and lets me know the lead configuration, that would be great...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Google says:

http://docs.red.com/955-0156/EPICSCA...munication.htm

SMPTE timecode uses the video standard of 75 ohm cable. But for short distances, it isn't really critical.
You may have to use RG-179 coaxial cable because the Lemo connector is probably too small for conventional RG-59
If you use RG-179 then you will need to use a BNC connector for RG-179

While I have made my own cables for over 55 years, and I am a great advocate of DIY cables, to be honest, I would rather buy one than make one.
BNC connectors are rather fiddly to terminate, even on larger RG-6 or RG-59 cable.
The miniature kind are that much ore fiddly. I would buy several extra just to allow for errors.
And those little Lemo and Hirose connectors are pretty fiddly to terminate, also.

It looks like you can buy a 1m long cable on Amazon for $30 I would buy rather than make in this case, but good luck.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CJQ563

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search