The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stereo(mic) to mono(mic pre) then mono(mic pre) to (apollo twin)stereo ?VIA Y CABLE??
Old 4 weeks ago
Exclamation Stereo(mic) to mono(mic pre) then mono(mic pre) to (apollo twin)stereo ?VIA Y CABLE??

i have a stereo mic and it has 2 xlr outputs i want to use a mono channel mic pre but it only has 1in 1out can i put y cables on THE INPUT AND THE OUT PUT of the mic pre/channel strip to maintain the stereo signal i have a TOWNSEND L22 MICROPHONE and it uses a plugin to mic model so i need to keep the stereo signal coming out the 1 channel pre into the apollo
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo(mic) to mono(mic pre) then mono(mic pre) to (apollo twin)stereo ?VIA Y CABLE??-lol.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's all said well in the other thread.

Short answer: no.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungNyce View Post
i have a stereo mic and it has 2 xlr outputs i want to use a mono channel mic pre but it only has 1in 1out
Why? Your motivation would play a significant part of such an unusual kludge.

Quote:
can i put y cables on THE INPUT
You COULD, but it would likely significantly compromise any possibility of using the DSP software for microphone modeling. And it goes without saying that it reduces your audio down to monaural with zero possibility of recovering stereo.

Quote:
AND THE OUT PUT of the mic pre/channel strip
Do you mean send the output of the monaural mic pre into two microphone inputs? Yes, you can probably get away with this since the output impedance of most modern audio gear is pretty low, and the input impedance of most modern audio gear is pretty high. Of course your two inputs would have identical monaural audio signals since you combined them in the previous steps. So all you end up with is two copies of a monaural audio signal.

Quote:
to maintain the stereo signal
No, certainly not. You combined the stereo signals out of your stereo microphone down into a single channel and put it through an unidentified monaural mic preamp. There is zero possibility of recovering any kind of stereo, Left/Right signal after you have combined it down to monaural.

Quote:
i have a TOWNSEND L22 MICROPHONE and it uses a plugin to mic model so i need to keep the stereo signal coming out the 1 channel pre into the apollo
If you need to maintain a stereo signal, then using Y-adapters (or ANY other method, for that matter) to COMBINE the microphone left and right channels down to a monaural signal and through a single-channel mic preamp renders your scheme COMPLETELY DEAD ON ARRIVAL. No way, José. 10 pounds in a 5-pound sack.
Old 4 weeks ago
I have a Rode NT4 stereo mic (2 capsules fixed in X/Y configuration): the mic body accepts a 5-pin XLR cable which terminates in 2 x 3-pin XLR's (one 3-pin XLR for each capsule; Left and Right).

Assuming the L22 has a similar requirement, I'd go straight into the Apollo if possible; it has 2 XLR inputs/preamps?
Old 4 weeks ago
i have townsend lab L22 MIC
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have townsend lab L22 MIC
Yes, you told us that in your first post.
But it doesn't change anything.

We still don't know what mic preamp you are asking about?
And we still don't know why you want to make monaural out of your stereo mic?
Without better information, your question really doesn't make any sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
I dont want to buy 2 channel strips for 1 mic i dont wanna purchase 2 avalons or 2 manleys or 2 ect. That can get expensive real fast n im not rich so with that said i can afford 1 channel strip the others that have 2 either are too cheap build quality too expensive or just non existent

Last edited by YungNyce; 4 weeks ago at 05:24 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
I need a good eq and comp going in woth pres that surpass the apollo twin and extra feature of possible
Old 4 weeks ago
Some1 told me to plug left xlr in to the 1 channel strip and leave the second pluged into mic 2 on the apollo to maintain the mic moddeling but im not sure if its the best way
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Some1 told me to plug left xlr in to the 1 channel strip and leave the second pluged into mic 2 on the apollo to maintain the mic moddeling but im not sure if its the best way
Sounds iffy to me; what does the manual say?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody on this planet can answer that question better than you can.
Does the modeling feature work in your configuration?
You should be able to tell within seconds.
And much more reliable than asking the internet.

If you can't tell, then it doesn't matter. And our opinions are irrelevant.
Old 4 weeks ago
I remember being super-confused about stuff like this in the early days; some of it is still a mystery: hello MIDI!

Usually a stereo/dual-mono/grouped mic outputs will go into the same preamp type; this keeps everything in phase and level-balanced. This may be important with a speciality mic, especially if there is a software app (which might expect to see matched preamp signals).

With my Rode NT4 stereo mic (with 2 XLR's out for left and right), if I plug in just one XLR then I get one capsule only. Mono.

Theoretically, that might work with your mic - one mono XLR into one preamp - and maybe the other into another preamp; but it will likely not be stereo, plus the software functions may not work as intended. The manual recommends linked preamp channels; there is a calibration procedure.

A big issue with your proposed rig is phantom power: different preamps may output different voltages and this could break your mic.

Personally I'd use the L22 straight into the Apollo and then use the nice hardware unit as an insert or re-track through it later.
Old 2 weeks ago
How can i use it as an insert i only have 2 mic inputs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
How can i use it as an insert i only have 2 mic inputs?
OK. Back to square one then. Good luck
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The answer to your original question is pretty simple: no, the mic won't work as intended by the manufacturer.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
OK. Back to square one then. Good luck
what i was newly asking was how can i use an external as an insert maybe i can do it that way? i also own a second inter face if i can deicate that as an insert if needed or possible mac osx base by the way protools
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
what i was newly asking was how can i use an external as an insert maybe i can do it that way?
My mistake; I apologise. I thought the Apollo had insert points.

Have you tried the mic with just the Apollo? I'm sure it'd work very well. I used the new Apollo x8p recently and the quality is very good. There are differences from an external high-end preamp, but with a decent mic it'll work great...plus you can use plug-ins and the Sphere software as intended.

The song and vibe are 99%; whatever the gear.

Interested in how you get on and what you decide. Please let us know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search