The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
27 Best Audiophile Power Cables reviewed
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

27 Best Audiophile Power Cables reviewed

In case you missed it ... the definitive review of power cables!

"I’ve spent the past five years auditioning and experimenting with over 1,000 audiophile cables. These included interconnects, speaker cables, and digital cables. But by far, the most daunting audiophile cable to explore – is the power cable.

Audiophiles need power cables. Lots of them.

Depending on which power cables you use on which components – that could decide the balance of a sound system. At this point, I’m sure we could all agree that different power cords sound different. Even among generic cords. This is due to the variations in shielding, geometry, and materials.

Power Cable Design
The goal of a power cord is to act as a medium for delivering current – and isolating noise. Generally, the lower the resistance, the better. But, as always, there are trade-offs. You can’t just build a 2-AWG power cord and wrap it in a blanket of copper shielding. Aside from practical (and legal) considerations, there’s also the type of solder, connectors, materials, and even technique used. All of these will determine the sound of a power cord.

Blind tests are pointless for the same reason why the skeptics request them – your mind is always playing tricks on you. – Audio Bacon

Of course, we could talk about “the first 6 feet, skin effect, ABX testing, and magnetic fields. We could also talk about how a cable could measure the same – but sound different. But we won’t.

I feel like all of these power cables are designed properly and supply sufficient current – especially to my near-field monitors. As always, I’ll be focusing on subjective impressions. As to the why they sound different – I’m sure their LCR values play a part. But that’s for another day."

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27...bles-reviewed/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mostly talking about mic cables but also power cables :

I'm far from being an expert but when one of the top mixers in the world was talking about what difference cables make I listen.

Last edited by chrisdee; 4 weeks ago at 09:45 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Mostly talking about mic cables but also power cables :

I'm far from being an expert but when one of the top mixers in the world was talking about what difference cables make I listen.
Numerous experts are under acid.

The word of the cable is full of experts who haven't never heard a sound only their daemon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What is most amazing to me is that at least 27 different people thought it worth the effort to attempt to market such baloney. Do we think that all of these 27 people have actually sold product at the list price (vs. discounts or promotional samples)? The mind boggles.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Part of the sales pitch is “blind tests are pointless”. That’s a dead giveaway that these cables probably don’t sound “better” unless the listener KNOWS that he or she is listening to the “better” cable. Which means they don’t sound better without that knowledge. Which means they don’t sound different enough to be recognized if they aren’t identified.
It means listener expectation, bias, and group reaction are creating a “false positive” result.
In the video, the engineer clearly outlines that everyone heard the improvement in sound after they changed the cable. Everyone listening knew the “better” cable had been swapped in, and the AB comparison was delayed by the time it took to make the switch. There is absolutely zero scientific method in such a comparison.
That is an example of why blind testing exists and is so important in audio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search