The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AmpSpeakerJackOut-XLR-15metros-SpeakerJackIn. IS it possible?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I want to Connect an amp to his cabinet vía an XLR snake.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

No answers? Maybe IS not possible....
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

What sort of an amp? What sort of a speaker? What kind of wire is used in the snake?

Three pin XLR connectors are rated for something like 16A per contact, I think. The limiting factor would probably be the wire in the snake, which if it's a normal microphone snake is quite low gauge and ill suited for connecting a speaker to an amplifier. (It's something around 24 gauge or so, often.)

As a more general concept, it is not wise in my opinion to use standard microphone connectors for amplifier to speaker connections because Murphey's Law suggests that someone some day is going to plug in a microphone or mixer or something and quite possibly damage it. Pretty much nobody expects to find high power (relatively speaking) on a normal XLR connector. Bundling a speaker cable with the snake with Velcro or zip ties or spiral cable wrap or something like that would in my opinion be a much better solution.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hello DrewE, thanks a lot for your reply. I understand you.

I need It to have my Ampeg SVT in the control room as an example, and the cabinet in the recording room for recording Bass or Reamp. I know that I can use the radial reamp or something like that. But its also interesting to have the amp in the control room and do changes in EQ or COMP.

I finished my acoustic treatment in my room with Carpenters. And silly boy, I forget completely this situation and didnt do the Velcro thing with speakon or speaker cable! Im seeing myself calling Carpenters for taking out some celenit pannels and rockwood and redoing It...

If something can go to the wrong way, that Will happens.

Thanks for help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search