The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
best cable in this situation for best audio quality?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

best cable in this situation for best audio quality?

Output

Art PRO MPA II - balanced XLR or 1/4 outputs available


Input

RME Babyface Pro - unbalanced 1/4" input


To reduce audio degradation, cable length can be as short as possible (1.5 Ft)

What would be the best cable to use here?

I am thinking XLR (female) to TRS?

Would this be a good choice?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-in-trs-1.5-ft
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se11 View Post
Output

Art PRO MPA II - balanced XLR or 1/4 outputs available


Input

RME Babyface Pro - unbalanced 1/4" input


To reduce audio degradation, cable length can be as short as possible (1.5 Ft)

What would be the best cable to use here?

I am thinking XLR (female) to TRS?

Would this be a good choice?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-in-trs-1.5-ft
I would go with a TR 1/4” cable as it’s unbalanced anyway. Length doesn’t make any difference in this situation (if it’s not hundreds of feet...).
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for the response, guessing you meant, 1/4" TRS?

something like this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ch_TR_1_4.html
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se11 View Post
Thanks for the response, guessing you meant, 1/4" TRS?

something like this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ch_TR_1_4.html
That should work. Or a female xlr to 1/4”.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se11 View Post
Thanks for the response, guessing you meant, 1/4" TRS?

something like this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ch_TR_1_4.html
That's TS, but wil work.
Just wondering, input 3/4 are hi-Z right?
Why not use the XLR inputs?
Old 6 days ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
That's TS, but wil work.
Just wondering, input 3/4 are hi-Z right?
Why not use the XLR inputs?
Im recording my band (we are 4 people). The on board pres will be used for vocals.

Midi drums in.

Guitar and bass go through Art then in the babyface pro line in.
Old 6 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se11 View Post
Thanks for the response, guessing you meant, 1/4" TRS?
Please CAREFULLY note the significant difference between TRS and TS.

While you say that your source is XLR and TRS balanced, you also say that the destination is TS unbalanced.

Using a TRS to TRS cable to connect to a TS unbalanced source or destination carries a very large risk of failure. If even one of the ends (source or destination) is unbalanced, then DO NOT USE TRS. TS is always safer to use unless you arel 100% sure that both the source and destination are truly balanced TRS.

That "75 ohm" TS cable seems like pure ******y. Any interconnection that requires a standard impedance will NOT be using TS connectors. If I couldn't make my own cables (which I recommend and encourage), I would buy something sensible like...

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPP-105-.../dp/B000068NY4
Old 5 days ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Please CAREFULLY note the significant difference between TRS and TS.

While you say that your source is XLR and TRS balanced, you also say that the destination is TS unbalanced.

Using a TRS to TRS cable to connect to a TS unbalanced source or destination carries a very large risk of failure. If even one of the ends (source or destination) is unbalanced, then DO NOT USE TRS. TS is always safer to use unless you arel 100% sure that both the source and destination are truly balanced TRS.

That "75 ohm" TS cable seems like pure ******y. Any interconnection that requires a standard impedance will NOT be using TS connectors. If I couldn't make my own cables (which I recommend and encourage), I would buy something sensible like...

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPP-105-.../dp/B000068NY4
Hi, thanks so much for your response.

I ended up ordering these (before I saw your post).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...3_Pin_XLR.html

Based on what you are suggesting they do not fit the bill?

When you say "large risk of failure" what do you mean exactly?

Would a regular guitar cable work for this connection? (I have plenty of those)
Old 5 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se11 View Post
When you say "large risk of failure" what do you mean exactly?
I mean that there is likely a much better than 50/50 chance that i won't work. You may get little or no audio through the connection. If that happens then you will need to replace your TRS cable with a TS cable. It won't damage anything, it just won't work. But maybe you will get lucky?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump