The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Inexpensive single channel mini amp for making old bkshelf speakers personal monitors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Inexpensive single channel mini amp for making old bkshelf speakers personal monitors

Not really a cable question, but humor me, please

I have a closetful of old bookshelf (and smaller) speakers, none anything special. I want to turn a bunch of them into active personal monitors, so that I can just send line level to it. Some place, I have it in my head it was Monoprice but I could be wrong, used to offer a cigarette pack sized single channel amp widget for a song that would be perfect. A single volume knob would be handy but not even essential. Just line in and speaker plugs or terminals out. I almost began making these from a schematic, as there are plenty of those around, but the fact that I have no aptitude for anything beyond the painfully simplest, and my enjoyment level for it is close to zero, I don't want to go that route. : )

Who is marketing this kind of thing these days? Purely for non critical use.

Thanks for any advice
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Parts Express has a fair few mini amps and amplifier modules of various descriptions for sale. For complete amps (as opposed to modules or bare circuit boards) it's pretty nearly impossible to find little mono ones these days, but there are plenty of stereo ones so you could either use some sort of a crossover and biamplify the speakers or just ignore one half. Mono modules are available.
Old 1 week ago
To the OP...how handy are you with building your own equipment? Lots of digital and analog DIY kits available. One example https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Chan...s%2C183&sr=8-3

Also small stereo amplifiers like this one https://www.amazon.com/DROK-TDA7297-...%2C183&sr=8-15

Add your own case and power supply and you have what you are looking for.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Thanks, DrewE. I think cheap stereo ones and a proper power supply, using just one side, is the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
To the OP...how handy are you with building your own equipment?
I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 probably a negative 3. I'm one of those people who can easily troubleshoot all my computers, synths, do guitar setups, play them all, record a 20 piece band without a hiccup etc, but put a soldering iron in my hand and the widget will be dead in 2 minutes. Don't really have the tools to do it properly, including my own crappy dexterity, eyesight, and lack of patience for precision, and possibly the fact that I hate doing it has some influence on this.

The assembled ones in the second link are much more my speed. Thanks : )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search