The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Speaker cable and multicore cable
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Speaker cable and multicore cable

Hey guys! Need some help here.

I have a control and tracking room, connected via a hole that i´ve made where a multicore cable goes through. The multicore cable is this one: https://www.swamp.net.au/16-channel-...le-w-stage-box

On the control room side, i have the cables connected to my interface, and on the tracking room i have the box, where i plug the microphones, etc.

I´ve tracked some bands till now with success, but the amp head was always on the tracking room. It was like: [CONTROL ROOM] guitar -> di -> pedals -> r4 cable -> [TRACKING ROOM] r4 output on the box connected to the amp head via normal jack.

Now i want to have the amp head on the control room, and my question is what is the best way to do this with this multicore box.

Can i simply connect the r4 cable on the control room to the amp head speaker input, and then on the tracking room, connect a speaker cable from r4 to the speaker ? I dont think so because the r4 cable itself is not a speaker cable, so it might hurt both the speaker as the amp right ?

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not really a good idea to pass speaker level signal through that. Basically:
The hotter the signal level, generally the thicker gauge wire you need - microphone and line levels are really low, that amount of current does not generate much heat, so a small wire is ok.
Speaker signals are much much hotter, and the heat induced in a small wire like those can actually cause issues ranging from nothing if you’re really lucky to melting the rubber coating, to starting a fire on the really unlucky end.
(Even if you get lucky and nothing happens to the wire, you’ll also introduce a ton of cross talk on the other wires)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

So, i think the only solution will be to adapt the hole to pass a long speaker cable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andregoncalves View Post
it might hurt both the speaker as the amp right ?
To address just this point, using a tiny wire gauge between the amp and speaker in a guitar rig is very, very unlikely to damage the amp or the speaker. Apart from the possible catastrophic damage to your room and insurance premiums resulting from a fire, you are most likely to damage the multi core cable. As with most bright ideas about using something designed for one purpose in a drastically different application, this one is not bright at all.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Slightly tangential to this subject, if you own a combo amp or sealed cab and can't see the wire going from the chassis or jack to the speaker, you might want to open up it up and take a peek. Sometimes they'll use really tiny and inappropriate wire, like 22 or 24 ga, and swapping in something fatter can make a noticeable difference. Doesn't have to be expensive -- I use Home Depot lamp cord.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search