The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Phantom Powered Pickup/Instrument Wireless Question
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Phantom Powered Pickup/Instrument Wireless Question

I wanted to pose a scenario that I am trying to solve, and I'm not sure if it is possible. I am trying to use this pickup:

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/s...kups/dyn-m-p48

with this wireless:

https://line6.com/relay-wireless/g70-g75

The pickup requires 48v phantom power. While I am not hung up on keeping the particular wireless unit that I have, I play several other instruments that all use a 1/4" cable as their output. I use one wireless pack, and I do my output switching to the PA on my pedalboard. I am trying to achieve the same output with my mandolin (some sort of setup I could strap to my mandolin strap), but the phantom power issue is giving me fits.

Can anyone think of a solution that would allow me to pull this off? Let me know if this makes sense, and if I need to clarify anything. Thank you for your time spent thinking on this!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That transducer is designed for conventional balanced XLR input with phantom power (min 22V).
That body-pack transmitter (and essentially all other body-pack transmitters) are not designed for much more than 5-10V power.

And that particular guitar transmitter likely provides no power at all.
So there is an almost insurmountable difference between transducer and the transmitter.

You COULD cobble a "solution" by taking three 9V batteries and duct-taping them around the transmitter.
But dunno whether you would be interested in such a kludge?

OTOH, there are wireless transmitters that are made with XLR nput and provide 48V phantom power.
For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7U0YHA
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

I know that the pack itself doesn't offer any sort of power, otherwise I wouldn't be in this predicament. My hope was to find some sort of in-line solution between the pickup and the wireless pack that I could clip on to my strap that would both add phantom power for the pickup and convert it to a female 1/4" output to run to the pack (probably two different things).

I also understand that they make some XLR wireless units that have phantom--my challenge is that I am trying to keep from having to use multiple wireless units.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There are commercial phantom power boxes powered by 9V batteries.
Like the Denecke PS-1A
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...le_Single.html

Or the kludge of using three 9V batteries in series to provide 27V

Either way, that would power your transducer while allowing you to use the guitar transmitter.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thank you! I found the Denecke products last night, and that looks like it may be my closest thing to a solution.

My last question on this is will it damage the wireless unit to convert the signal back to an unbalanced 1/4"? I have heard conflicting ideas.

I appreciate you taking the time to think through this with me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No, it will not damage the wireless transmitter.
Those phantom power boxes isolate the DC phantom power so that it only goes to the input (the transducer or microphone)
They block the DC voltage from going to the output (which goes to the wireless transmitter input)
You will just need a female XLR to male TS plug short cable to go from the phantom box to the wireless transmitter.

I would very strongly recommend using a XLR-F to TS cable, and NOT a XLR-F to TRS cable.
We must assume that the guitar transmitter is equipped to handle only the traditional guitar standard TS input plug.
If you use a TRS plug, there is a very strong possibility that the audio will not flow properly from the transducer-phantom box-transmitter input.
I would recommend something like: https://hosatech.com/products/analog...nects/pxf-100/
Perhaps you can find a shorter one like 6 inches or 1ft, etc?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Awesome. That was what I was thinking about the phantom power not damaging the wireless unit. Yes, it will definitely be wired to go from XLR to TS.

Again, I appreciate you walking through all my amateur questions. Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You are quite welcome. That is what this forum exists for.
And you have helped people in the future with that (or similar question)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search